Diagnosis?

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm 21 years young and wanted to know..How does one diagnose male pattern baldness. Any tests i can get done myself through labs to confirm it? for instance i've taken the TSH, T3 and T4 for thyroid and those were clear. But i still cant tell whether my hairloss is due to male pattern baldness or stress or whether its normal. I have been losing hair since 4 years now, clogging the sink all the time. My temple area has receded somewhat with the 'horn like' appearance but my right temple has receded slightly more than the left. Then again people say most people experiance some recession or more and i've noticed quite a few people with "M" shape foreheads who arent bald but thats just how their forehead develops in time. i'm probably a Norwood-1 with just the temples receded, my hairline is holding up even after losing hair for 4 years. parents have fine hair.grandparents had hair. only one uncle from mothers side is bald.

these days i'm losing upto 30 strands a day. i seem to be losing more 'short hair than long. and thinning is more in the front than vertex or sides. its just the frontal thinning and the temples that is bothering me. Is there any test i can get done to confirm i have male pattern baldness? i suffer from alot of everyday stress as well.

thyroid test was normal.

have very dry and frizzy hair so when its not wet its impossible to tell i have hairloss, i get a sort of afro.

how do i diagnose myself?

been taking centrum since a while so i doubt its a vitamin deficiency? what hormone tests are you supposed to get done? if i get a bloodtest for DHT done? is there a specific level of DHT that i should compare with? and if so what?

any feedback would be really appreciated.

thanx

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's not a matter of how much dht one has it's an issue of how sensitive, if at all, one's follicles are to dht. Vitamins won't help.

Post these questions in the Men's General Hairloss Section.