Diagnosed male pattern baldness 17 Propecia Or Not??

Notanuther1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Went to derm today. Have seborrheic dermatitis and early male pattern baldness. He just look at minituarized hairs at front and said that I could use minoxidil or propecia. Propecia at 17? He said very low side effects in his patients. Erectile dysfunction and male breast cancer mentioned. He was sort of popmpous but he acted like Propecia would save all my hair and reverse all balding. That is not true I am pretty sure. He said nothing about gyno or anything. I guess I am still not sure what to do. What would you do at 17?

Sworthyy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Take the propecia, I’ve never had a problem and been taking it for two years now I’m young like you

Notanuther1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just turned 17 this month. I am only 5'9 and pretty thin. I am afraid of not developing fully. I am really shocked the doctor offered propecia at my age without me even asking...I guess sort of in denial too.

Sworthyy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If your 5,9 at 17 your not going to grow much more or at all in my opinion, don’t know why the height is a problem ? And it does look like your hair is thining. You don’t get on propecia you loose your hair, you get in on it and save your hair and have the option for future treatments.

Notanuther1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, like I said I guess I wasn't really expecting them to say male pattern baldness at barely 17. Denial won't help my hair I know but I am just a little shocked. I have never been on a date and now looking at a drug that could cause sexual dysfunction???? ugh

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Propecia is for life unless something else comes up to replace it. If you get sides then you could just stop using it. Some doctors tell guys your age to just use minoxidil until you get older as a precaution. I don't know how easy it is for you to see another doctor for a second opinion so you can mention your concerns about starting propecia at your age, but if possible you should really do that.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes I'd start on propecia. My thinning started at 25 and I waited till 30 to start fighting. The earlier you start the better. I regret not starting earlier.

Notanuther1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It just seems like a big risk to keep hair. Hair loss won't kill me, even if it sucks. I just think Propecia has some bad sides. Tough decision.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It just seems like a big risk to keep hair. Hair loss won't kill me, even if it sucks. I just think Propecia has some bad sides. Tough decision.
The sides are rarer than you'd think. I think it was like 2% or less, and go away once you stop. I'm like 3 years in work no sides.

What I guarantee will happen if you don't start now......

You'll lose more hair, it will keep getting worse and worse.
Eventually it'll be at a point where it causes depression.
You'll then want to do ANYTHING for hair again.
At this point you'll look at the pictures of your hair that you posted here and wish your hair was still that good.
You'll start propecia, and likely worse, in hopes of getting your hair back.
You'll wish you started when it first started after you see all the posts of the people that started immediately and had easy success compared to the people that waited.

I was in your shoes and have regretted for years not starting the moment people at work told me I was thinning.

Last edited:

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Propecia is for life unless something else comes up to replace it. If you get sides then you could just stop using it. Some doctors tell guys your age to just use minoxidil until you get older as a precaution. I don't know how easy it is for you to see another doctor for a second opinion so you can mention your concerns about starting propecia at your age, but if possible you should really do that.

This. 17 is very young to start a drug like Propecia but you sound like you've got your head screwed on so ultimately you've just got to weigh up the pros and cons yourself - Aside from expensive hair transplants Propecia is currently your only option if you want to save your hair. The derm was wrong to say it would actually reverse balding - it doesn't have a massive effect on regrowing hair that you've lost but the vast majority of Propecia users keep the hair they've still got. As long as you've researched the sides and know what you're getting your self into, like Jaka said you could always stop if it doesn't go well.
I'm still a bit concerned about starting it at 17 though, speak to another derm or doctor because I'm not sure I trust the derm you spoke to from what you said.

Notanuther1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Funkymonk1 I was just surprised at how he quickly offered Propecia without being asked. Then he was like "How old are you again?" 17. "Oh you're probably done with puberty". He was kind of a douche. He acted like Propecia was a magic cure all and he had never had anyone on it with sides. I didn't ask how many were teenagers. It comes down to picking over health? I don't know if I want to chance it. He also told me I could use Rogaine but it would only just thicken things up but not stop recession. I have seborrheic dermatitis too and he gave me a list of 5 different shampoos and told me to start trying them to see what worked? Great.

I thought maybe I could use minoxidil and nizoral until I am 18 or so. I fear the "dread shed" but it seems less dangerous than Propecia. I just don't see a lot people saying it works.

I almost just want to give up and not do anything.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
@Notanuther1 That sounds sensible. Nizoral & minoxidil alone won't stop recession in the long term but they may thicken it a bit for a while. Nizoral should at least help with the dermatitis. Like I said Propecia is proven to work for most guys but ther's a lot of grey areas especially with the sides.