DHT, PGD2 AND COX-1/COX-2 relationship

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, we know PGD2 is created through Cox-1/Cox-2. We know that in balding scalp, Cox-2 is upregulated by DHT and androgens, which leads to high level of PGD2 causing hair miniaturization.

But do we know if Cox-1 is upregulated in balding scalp too? I made some researches and didn't find anything on it

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is important to know because i think selective Cox-2 inhibitors can stop Androgenetic alopecia if cox1 is not upregulated.

I think PGE2 and healthy level of prostaglandins come from Cox-1

From my researches, Cox-2 is normally not expressed in healthy dermal papilla, so in theory inhibiting Cox-2 without touching Cox-1 will not damage hair because of low good prostaglandins (pge2, pge1, pgf2a)

jazz1

Reaction score
Interesting.... I read Voltarol gel works.

Attachments

• 7F760702-8ABF-4131-B02D-1257F01B19B3.jpeg
    7F760702-8ABF-4131-B02D-1257F01B19B3.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 74

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting.... I read Voltarol gel works.

Voltarol is diclofenac

Diclofenac inhibits cox2 AND cox1

We need to inhibit cox 2 without touching cox1

jazz1

Reaction score
Voltarol is diclofenac

Diclofenac inhibits cox2 AND cox1

We need to inhibit cox 2 without touching cox1
This still works as I saw some guy have so much hairline growth. So what would you suggest.....

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This still works as I saw some guy have so much hairline growth. So what would you suggest.....
Yes it will work but only if you use it with minoxidil or another pge1/pge2 agonist like castor oil / miconazole nitrate ect

With selective cox2 inhibitors like etoricoxib or celecoxib we don't need minoxidil or pge2 analogs. This is what i think

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
Yes it will work but only if you use it with minoxidil or another pge1/pge2 agonist like castor oil / miconazole nitrate ect

The advantage of selective cox2 inhibitors like etoricoxib or celecoxib is we don't need minoxidil or pge2 analogs. This is what i think
Exactly one guy documented both temples using 5% minoxidil and used Voltarol on one temple. The temple where he used Voltarol had major regrowth compared to the other temple applying 5% minoxidil had minimal growth.

I will read up on those maybe a compound pharmacy can make a topical formula...?

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly one guy documented both temples using 5% minoxidil and used Voltarol on one temple. The temple where he used Voltarol had major regrowth compared to the other temple applying 5% minoxidil had minimal growth.

I will read up on those maybe a compound pharmacy can make a topical formula...?
For compound pharmacy, are you talking about diclofenac or etoricoxib?

For diclofenac there are topical sprays on the market i think

jazz1

Reaction score
For compound pharmacy, are you talking about diclofenac or etoricoxib?

For diclofenac there are topical sprays on the market i think
The gel works already sold, I am on about etoricoxib.....

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical Diclofenac 3% Gel for Actinic Keratosis May Induce Terminal Hair in Male Androgenetic Alopecia: A Report of Three Cases | Journal of Skin and Stem Cell | Full Text (kowsarpub.com)

The anti-androgen activity of diclofenac (DIC), ibuprofen (IBU),... | Download Scientific Diagram (researchgate.net)
The anti-androgen activity of diclofenac (DIC), ibuprofen (IBU), ketoprofen (KET), naproxen (NAP) and clofibrate (CLO) determined by the bioluminescent assay. FI corrected represents the induction of the sensors corrected for the sample toxicity. 100% represents no inhibition of the testosterone response.

Diclofenac - LiverTox - NCBI Bookshelf (nih.gov)
Nevertheless, more than a hundred instances of clinically apparent liver injury due to diclofenac have been reported in the literature and, in most case series, diclofenac ranks in the top 10 causes of drug induced liver injury.

Etoricoxib and intermittent androgen deprivation therapy in patients with biochemical progression after radical prostatectomy - PubMed (nih.gov)
In patients with biochemical progression after RRP, we showed that the use of a COX-2 inhibitor in the off-phases of IAD is able to increase the off-treatment time significantly.

The cardiovascular risks of etoricoxib (Arcoxia) (nih.gov)
Data presented at the committee meeting did not exclude the possibility of an over six-fold increase in CV risk with etoricoxib compared to naproxen

sparked my interested in these compounds, sharing some quick due diligence search results...
If used topically i don't think it will be dangerous

jazz1

Reaction score
I am using Voltarol twice per week 1.6% version... As i had some stress thinning hopefully will grow back soon.