DHT levels hairloss.. HOW?

AlexSmith1220

Reaction score
I got my levels checked. My DHT levels are 29. Thats not high at all. The highest of normal range is 70. How the hell is my hair shedding? I doubt a dermatologist is going to prescribe me propecia and 2nd i dont want to use that due to sexual dysfunction problems.

I wouldnt mind using minoxidil. But regardless i dont understand how this is happening with a low dht level?

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
AlexSmith1220 said:
I got my levels checked. My DHT levels are 29. Thats not high at all. The highest of normal range is 70. How the hell is my hair shedding? I doubt a dermatologist is going to prescribe me propecia and 2nd i dont want to use that due to sexual dysfunction problems.

I wouldnt mind using minoxidil. But regardless i dont understand how this is happening with a low dht level?

Its not the ammount of dht your body has, its your genetic follicle sensitivity to it that determines if you shed or not.

Start with minoxidil, see if its effective for you. If you need more to combat your hairloss, consider finasteride, or topical RU58841. Thats pretty much all you got.

There are many threads about these, just dont get caught up in any of the other weaker products cause its expensive and dont concretely grow hair like a powerful anti androgen like finasteride or RU.

AlexSmith1220

Reaction score
G k said:
AlexSmith1220 said:

Its not the ammount of dht your body has, its your genetic follicle sensitivity to it that determines if you shed or not.

Start with minoxidil, see if its effective for you. If you need more to combat your hairloss, consider finasteride, or topical RU58841. Thats pretty much all you got.

There are many threads about these, just dont get caught up in any of the other weaker products cause its expensive and dont concretely grow hair like a powerful anti androgen like finasteride or RU.

Id rather have something topical so it doesnt have an effect on DHT throughout my entire body like propecia does. Just in the scalp area.

I also have alot of stress too?

Idk lately my hair has been shedding, noticing more hairs in the shower and on the pillow, yet its not getting thinner. Weird. Maybe its going through a shedding phase? (If there is such thing).

Who knows, just something topical would make me feel better.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
There is some correlation to very high dht levels and male pattern baldness, but as others said its more due to local sensitivity and/or production of DHT at the follicle. This is the maion reason why finesteride does not work so well, meaning lowering circulating DHT without affecting dht production at the follicle is not a very effective treatment.

AlexSmith1220

Reaction score
JohnNYC said:
There is some correlation to very high dht levels and male pattern baldness, but as others said its more due to local sensitivity and/or production of DHT at the follicle. This is the maion reason why finesteride does not work so well, meaning lowering circulating DHT without affecting dht production at the follicle is not a very effective treatment.

I understand. Well then i guess im screwed! Lol. Ill try minoxidil and if it works ill cruise on it for a while and if not then screw it ill buzz my head off, and wear a do-rag or a a hat lol. I am a bodybuilder so a bald head wouldnt suit me too bad. I try not to worry about it alot. But its hard to regardless you know?

Just hate the thought of being bald, makes you look... old... Lol.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
freakout said:
hairhoper said:
You're an idiot and a hack,

The theory that DHT is causing baldness is about 20 years old. There are newer studies which seem to contradict it.
You should read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64583&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=50

First, the DHT theory is much more than 20 years old.

Second, there is a lot of unproved speculation in that thread, quoting research out of context, or focusing in on secondary and tertiary factors.

Leeping things simple, Androgenic Alopecia (by definition) is caused by the conversion of T to DHT and subsequent expression in target receptors.

You block DHT, there is no hair loss. Males lacking the alpha-5 reductase enzyme do not go bald. Nor do boys castrated at a young age.

More important, nothing worked for me until I started using an effective alpha 5 reductase inhibitor. Now that I am using one, the results have been exciting.

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
JohnNYC said:
freakout said:
hairhoper said:
You're an idiot and a hack,

The theory that DHT is causing baldness is about 20 years old. There are newer studies which seem to contradict it.
You should read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64583&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=50

First, the DHT theory is much more than 20 years old.

Second, there is a lot of unproved speculation in that thread, quoting research out of context, or focusing in on secondary and tertiary factors.

Leeping things simple, Androgenic Alopecia (by definition) is caused by the conversion of T to DHT and subsequent expression in target receptors.

You block DHT, there is no hair loss. Males lacking the alpha-5 reductase enzyme do not go bald. Nor do boys castrated at a young age.

More important, nothing worked for me until I started using an effective alpha 5 reductase inhibitor. Now that I am using one, the results have been exciting.

thanks, simple easy information to follow and read.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think freakout accidently posted in the wrong thread here with that quote from me heh.

But well put John.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
AlexSmith1220 said:
JohnNYC said:

I understand. Well then i guess im screwed! Lol. Ill try minoxidil and if it works ill cruise on it for a while and if not then screw it ill buzz my head off, and wear a do-rag or a a hat lol. I am a bodybuilder so a bald head wouldnt suit me too bad. I try not to worry about it alot. But its hard to regardless you know?

Just hate the thought of being bald, makes you look... old... Lol.

I started losing my hair at 18 and I was crushed. When minoxidil came out, I was ecstatic that something might regrow my hair. That did not work. Then tired finesteride oral with little results plus side effects. Tried Proxiphen and anything else. By my mind 30s, I resigned myself to the fact I was going to be bald and did the shaved head thing. I continuted to use topical finesteride and minoxidil to keep the little "fuzz" going becuase when I dyed it, I looked like I shaved my head due to choice, not necessity.

I was also blessed with a very young looking face - I am now 50 but pass for early 30s. In effect, I have been "young 30-something" for the last 25 years, since in my late 20s I looked older due to hair loss.

Would I trade looking "mature" for a full head of hair? NO f*****g WAY. Still, I would rather have been me with hair than me without hair.

My current regimen is exciting in that for the first time in my life I have seen real results. I have high hopes for bitamoprost which I just added and perhaps CB-01-03 will be the last ingredient of a side-effect free (hopefully) regimen that provides meaningful results.

Even though I begrudgingly accepted my fate, I'll put a price on getting my hair back: $500 per month to get what is my minimum target. If somebody could guarantee me a full head of hair without surgery or side effects, I would pay $1000 per month. f*** the BMW, give me hair.

My big three: Dutasteride, Azoles and Bimatoprost, all topical.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JohnNYC said:

I'm glad treatment stopped your hair loss.

To make it simpler, that thread was about full reqrowth in just four months when transplanted onto mice which disproves DHT conversion within the follicle.

Which means that, perhaps, DHT's effect is somewhere else. It also means, there could be more effective treatments coming based on those studies.

But kudos to your hair!

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
freakout said:
JohnNYC said:

To make it simpler, that thread was about full reqrowth in just four months when transplanted onto mice which disproves DHT conversion within the follicle.

No it doesn't.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
freakout said:
JohnNYC said:

Which means that, perhaps, DHT's effect is somewhere else. It also means, there could be more effective treatments coming based on those studies.

But kudos to your hair!

This does not exhonorate DHT. We know DHT initiates an autoimmune response; there, it makes perfect sense that hairs grafted onto immune deficient mice would grow. In addition, mice T levels might not be high enough.

One of the reasons why I include Azoles in my "big three" is suspected anti-inflammatory properties. I also use Prox-N for the same reason, and a couple of others, but I don't think Prox-N is powerful enough on its own to repalce an Azole.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JohnNYC said:
This does not exhonorate DHT. We know DHT initiates an autoimmune response; there, it makes perfect sense that hairs grafted onto immune deficient mice would grow. In addition, mice T levels might not be high enough.

One of the reasons why I include Azoles in my "big three" is suspected anti-inflammatory properties. I also use Prox-N for the same reason, and a couple of others, but I don't think Prox-N is powerful enough on its own to repalce an Azole.
No the study does not exhonorate DHT. It's role is difficult to dispute. It only suggests the DHT works somewhere else.

Jahoda (1999) proved that hair follicles immune-privileged which means that if there is any immune-response, it could also be somewhere else rather than the follicles themselves.