Dht Has Barely Lowered (~2 Months On Finasteride)

IrishWisdom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm a male, 23. It's been almost two months since I started to take finasteride
(1/4th of a proscar pill) and I'm frustrated with the results.

Timeline:

January 2017 (before finasteride):
Testosterone 10.000 ng/ml (reference values: 1.420 - 9.230) HIGH
Dihydrotestosterone 832.18 pg/ml (reference values: 250.00 - 990.00)

April 2017 (1 month after taking finasteride):
Testosterone 9.580 ng/ml (reference values: 1.420 - 9.230) HIGH
Dihydrotestosterone 824.78 pg/ml (reference values: 250.00 - 990.00)

The same day I changed finasteride brand (switched from Proscar to Penester)
and increased dosage from 1.25mg to 2.5mg. Yesterday, I received new results:

May 2017 (2 weeks after switching to 2.5 generic finasteride):
Testosterone 10.290 ng/ml (reference values: 1.420 - 9.230) HIGH
Dihydrotestosterone 800.6 pg/ml (reference values: 250.00 - 990.00)

So, basically, finasteride has (or not) affected DHT by only 4%.
Two different brands. Two months.

What should I do? Dutasteride?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Ok, this is interesting. I have started seeing more posts lately with people getting DHT tests where it is showing high values.

Your DHT should be, on that scale, below 250.

I would recommend calling your pharmacist to ask them if it is legit. I would also consider Dutasteride.

If you are not getting lowered values then either:

1) Your medicine is fake, so it doesn't work, or

2) You somehow just do not respond to DHT inhibitors.

I would recommend trying dutasteride if I were you.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
If you can update us on any future blood tests, this is VERY interesting that people keep posting results similar to yours. Not a lot of people, but I remember 5 years ago I never saw blood test results like these.

IrishWisdom

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you can update us on any future blood tests, this is VERY interesting that people keep posting results similar to yours. Not a lot of people, but I remember 5 years ago I never saw blood test results like these.

So here's an update:

1. A quote from a man who had results close to mine and eventually switched to dutasteride:
Yes the DHT test is flawed you need a DHT-g test or even just a PSA to double check the finasteride is actually working. There is a small chance you are a rare phenotype that finasteride does not work for. I ended up just going on dutasteride because it works for all genotypes.
(The quote is public, from another forum. One could easily find the forum via search)

So I ran PSA test and it showed ~10% decrease from baseline levels.

Also, according to this article (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16382684), response to finasteride is predetermined by the number of GAC repeats in AR-gene. So I have did just that (ordered DNA sequencing), need to wait 18 days for my results. Response to finasteride is lower in those with number > 22.

Right now I'm not sure whether I should switch to dutasteride, but I definitely do consider it. Trying to gather as much information as possible.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
This is some interesting research. I have not heard of this before, but people have speculated if it is possible.

I have done 23andMe and have all of my raw genetic data. Do you have any idea what AR-gene I need to look for? There is usually a speicfic number of some type I can find on SNPedia or something.

IrishWisdom

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is some interesting research. I have not heard of this before, but people have speculated if it is possible.

I have done 23andMe and have all of my raw genetic data. Do you have any idea what AR-gene I need to look for? There is usually a speicfic number of some type I can find on SNPedia or something.

Number of CAG repeats in androgen gene receptor (AR). I don't have raw 23AndMe data, so I can't tell you where to look exactly.

Please let us know if you find something :)

LULboiii

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn man mirin your Test levels... mine are absolute shiaat at only 450 and I am younger...

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Number of CAG repeats in androgen gene receptor (AR). I don't have raw 23AndMe data, so I can't tell you where to look exactly.

Please let us know if you find something :)

Sadly there are a TON of AR-Receptor genes and you have to know which one to look at, I have no idea!

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you feel any side effects once you started or switched? If you are buying this stuff online then it could be bad medications. If you had a doctor prescribe it and are going through a legit pharmacy then it could be that the blood tests are bad. Does it say what testing company did it? I think in the U.S. there are two main companies that do the analysis.

IrishWisdom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your comment.

I'm living in Europe. Finasteride (both Proscar and Penester - two diff. brands) I was getting via prescription from two local trustworthy pharmacies, so it's very unlikely both are counterfeit. DHT analyses were done both via local lab and in the clinics I attend my doctors at - same results.

So far it seems as if I'm a non-responder, which is possible, unfortunately. Also, no sides.

Did you feel any side effects once you started or switched? If you are buying this stuff online then it could be bad medications. If you had a doctor prescribe it and are going through a legit pharmacy then it could be that the blood tests are bad. Does it say what testing company did it? I think in the U.S. there are two main companies that do the analysis.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You have a high DHt level, and finasteride would only drop it to about 350. I would try dutasteride to see if you get any reaction since you are certain the finasteride was legitimate.

Bagels

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll need to be on dutasteride sooner or later. Many people don't get their DHT checked before and after but I've defnitely heard anecdotal stories of dutasteride working for people who didn't respond to finasteride at all
Please keep updating the thread this is interesting.