DHT blood test - meaningful at all?

Dalton

Established Member
Reaction score
So this is available at a walk in lab test place near me and was wondering if any meaningful results can be gotten from this?? Are DHT levels sky high in balding guys, or are levels similar but balding guys are more sensitive. Just checking before I possibly throw $100 down the tube...

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
DHT is present in all human beings...
you are balding not because of DHT...but because of DHT sensitivr Follicles...

Because of DHT..you become man...when you were in intrauterine life...
DHT makes embryo to have testes..making you man...

so thank DHT for Being Men...

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The actual amount of DHT you have isn't really significant - the only thing that matters is how sensitive your follicles are to DHT. Some guy might have twice as much DHT as you do but doesn't go bald because his follicles aren't as sensitive as yours, for example. So with that in mind, a blood test isn't really meaningful unless maybe you were to do a test before taking a DHT inhibitor and then after to compare how effective those drugs are for you... but even then you'd basically just be doing it for peace of mind that the drugs are working to suppress DHT.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any validity to the theory that finasteride is less useful for guys with low DHT?

That's an interesting question, give me some months and I might be able to answer it, as I had my baseline DHT tested before starting finasteride and I was at the bottom end of the normal range. Just started finasteride 3 days ago, so time will tell.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont know if its worth the money because you either take finasteride or you dont. Having that paper with your number on it wont help much but it might in the very rare event something bad happened just as a baseline. DHT isnt really the main issue, but right now its your only choice is to use that approach. No other treatment exists.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It could be meaningful. For example if someone is balding and has sky high DHT levels then maybe they need finasteride or dutasteride. It is also good to compare the levels prior to starting finasteride or dutasteride and after to see how much it is working.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For example if someone is balding and has sky high DHT levels then maybe they need finasteride or dutasteride.

From that sentence, are you implying that men with low baseline DHT won't benefit much balding wise from taking finasteride or dutasteride? If so can you please explain why you think that. Thanks

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
From that sentence, are you implying that men with low baseline DHT won't benefit much balding wise from taking finasteride or dutasteride? If so can you please explain why you think that. Thanks

More pilous men responded better.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score

If someone has low DHT and is balding, that means their follicles must be more sensitive to DHT. This is only a theory of mine, as I doubt any study has been done but it seems obvious. By low I mean 10 ng/dl to 15 ng/dl.

To see what DHT does I pulled up one on serum blood levels, if someone is normal 40 ng/dl DHT, finasteride at 1 mg should lower it to about 15 ng/dl and dutasteride at .5 mg should lower it to 3 ng/dl. I am on finasteride 1.25 mg and mine is at 13.4 ng/dl so this falls in line with the study.

M.G

Established Member
Reaction score
More pilous men responded better.

Is this true though?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, wow. I guess I should have my hair back by next summer. That's a pretty sick difference between effectiveness among hairy men and non-hairy men.

"Efficacy of Finasteride for Treating Patients with Androgenetic Alopecia who are Pileous in other Areas: A Pilot Study in Japan.

Authors
Inadomi T.
Journal
Indian J Dermatol. 2014 Mar;59(2):163-5. doi: 10.4103/0019-5154.127677.

Affiliation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) involves androgen-dependent hair loss and finasteride is an established treatment for the disease. However, reports of the influence of finasteride on hair growth in other areas of the body are lacking.

AIMS: To investigate the effects of finasteride on hair, including the head and other areas of the body.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: Based on whether Androgenetic Alopecia patients felt they were pileous in areas other than the head, they were divided into Group A (pileous) or Group B (not pileous). Finasteride (1 mg/day) was prescribed for both groups for at least 6 months, after which patients were asked to estimate the medicine's effects and any changes of their hair growth.

RESULTS AND CONCLUSIONS: A total of 18 out of 37 patients were placed in Group A and 19 of them were in Group B, suggesting that about half of Androgenetic Alopecia patients in Japan are pileous in other parts of the body. Oral finasteride was effective (excellent or good) in 22 out of 37 (59.5%) patients overall, in 16 out of 18 (88.9%) patients in Group A, and in 6 out of 19 (31.6%) patients in Group B. None of the patients reported that oral finasteride had any effect on their hair growth other than on their head. Finasteride is more effective for treating Androgenetic Alopecia patients who are pileous in other areas of the body."

realself

My Regimen
Reaction score
If someone has low DHT and is balding, that means their follicles must be more sensitive to DHT. This is only a theory of mine, as I doubt any study has been done but it seems obvious. By low I mean 10 ng/dl to 15 ng/dl.

To see what DHT does I pulled up one on serum blood levels, if someone is normal 40 ng/dl DHT, finasteride at 1 mg should lower it to about 15 ng/dl and dutasteride at .5 mg should lower it to 3 ng/dl. I am on finasteride 1.25 mg and mine is at 13.4 ng/dl so this falls in line with the study.

I realize this is an older thread...hoping someone is still reading :). What if DHT levels are even lower, like 4,5, is finasteride worth it? It would seem there is not much dht in the first place...thx

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I realize this is an older thread...hoping someone is still reading :). What if DHT levels are even lower, like 4,5, is finasteride worth it? It would seem there is not much dht in the first place...thx

In my mind it would appear to come down to how sensitive your follicles are to DHT and of course how much DHT you have at the follicular level.

People like you and I with low serum DHT (not sure if it's low also at follicular level to be fair), most likely have follicles of which very sensitive to DHT.

I've been on finasteride almost 3 years now, and have maintained. No regrowth however. And so like others always say, don't hesitate if you are balding get on it as soon as possible as you may not replace any lost hair. I mulled over taking finasteride for a year due to the crazy side effects scares. I now regret that time spent and hair lost.

Last edited:

realself

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks TinTon...so, that's the only thing in your regimen, finasteride 1mg daily? Did you try anything for regrowth or not?

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT is present in all human beings...
you are balding not because of DHT...but because of DHT sensitivr Follicles...

Because of DHT..you become man...when you were in intrauterine life...
DHT makes embryo to have testes..making you man...

so thank DHT for Being Men...

That’s incorrect dht does not drive gonadal differentiation only your external genetalia which is why someone born without 5ar would still have have testes

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Serum DHT doesn't matter that much. Tissue DHT matters I.e scalp DHT which has been found 3 times higher in balding scalp in various studies. High levels of DHT in scalp fucks hairs badly over time. Why DHT increases in balding scalp at the first place is great puzzle that is yet to be solved.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
That’s incorrect dht does not drive gonadal differentiation only your external genetalia which is why someone born without 5ar would still have have testes

Bro I have actually posted the page about the said data from real medical book 2 years back on this site.
You can read that pic if you wish.
I don't have screen shot of that page right now.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks TinTon...so, that's the only thing in your regimen, finasteride 1mg daily? Did you try anything for regrowth or not?

Not a problem champ.

No, I purposely didn’t incorporate anything other than finasteride because these treatments are lifelong and a daily task ---There’s simply no way that I could commit to putting a product on my head once or twice a day for as long as I wanted to keep any regrowth. I’d barely make two weeks of that, it's just not my kind of marriage or divorce.

Taking a finasteride tablet is quick, effortless and discreet, which in my mind is all the key factors that make for a good 'long-term' treatment.

Last edited:

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT is a paracrine hormone which means it is made and acts in the same tissue (mostly). So testosterone is converted in the prostate to DHT and DHT acts directly on this tissue unlike say testosterone and estrogen which are made in a couple of places but act EVERYWHERE.

Same with the scalp and, more importantly related to hair loss, the follicle itself. Blood levels of DHT may correlate that you have lower levels overall but does not mean that the certain areas in question (prostate, hair) do not have disordered DHT production or disordered reactions to androgens.

It is not really the best thing in the world to take an oral 5AR Inhibitor for hair loss, but it is the most effective thing at this time. Optimally a good topical will be best which targets the follicle itself and leaves everything else alone.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro I have actually posted the page about the said data from real medical book 2 years back on this site.
You can read that pic if you wish.
I don't have screen shot of that page right now.

You can screen shot this “real Medical book” and it won’t matter what so ever. You don’t even need a legit resource for this just f*****g Google it. Gonadal differentiation is driven on a transcriptional level not hormonally.