DHT Blockers May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There was an interview done with the chief medical officer and executive vice president of the American Cancer Society a while back. He explained that the FDA warning wasn't that Finasteride (or Dutasteride) actually increase the risk of getting prostate cancer; rather, that they increase the chance of being diagnosed with it.

The reasoning behind this is that 5ARI’s actually shrinks the prostate, making tumors more easily diagnosed. This data on the surface might make it look like the drugs are actually causing the tumors, but this probably isn't the case.

Additionally, during the long-term PLESS study, Finasteride was shown to reduce the incidence rates of low-grade prostate cancers by 25%. There was also a slight increase in the diagnosis of high-grade (more deadly) tumors, but I don't believe the data was conclusive enough to determine if the drugs actually caused these raised incidence rates, or if it was a result of what I explained above.

DHT is strongly linked to the development of prostate cancer. 5ARI's reduce DHT levels significantly, and there is a good chance that this is decreasing prostate cancer rates on average. However, more powerful data is required in order to reach this conclusion, and it's important that these drugs are studied further because they may be very viable chemopreventive treatments.

Ozai

Reaction score
Thanks for the extensive input wuffer! that was very informative :bravo:
a question, how do you pronounce "reductase"? I've heard people spell it different ways..

Many thanks again,
Ozai

Bob Chylan

Reaction score
My doctor informed me that a male that lives to 70 has a 90%+ chance of having prostate cancer and men above 80 have 99% chance of having prostate cancer at some point throughout their life time. It can't all be finasteride related.

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
i hope DHT blockers dont cause prostate cancer and that this is bull****..

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned, they often make detection harder.

Finasteride (and I assume most antiandrogens) can shrink the prostate; an increase in size can often suggest cancer but if it remains relatively normal then there's no reason to suspect cancer.

They also affect screening for cancer as they mess with tests for PSA, as advised in the leaflets with Propecia.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to update this thread with some information I found after the previous post I made, which should hopefully clear a few things up about this topic.

This is the source I will be referring to:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2844801/

This study re-assessed the findings in the original prostate prevention trial. They analyzed the data with a more accurate bias-modeled approach, and physically examined tissue samples (in the form of removed prostates) from the men who got cancer during the PCPT. Their preliminary re-assessment of the data showed that overall cancer incidence rates were reduced by 30%, and that high-grade tumors incidence rates were increased by a non significant 14%.

Not only that, after they incorporated the findings yielded from examining the tissue samples, they determined that finasteride actually appears to decrease high-grade cancer rates by 27%. So these men enjoyed a 30% reduction of overall prostate cancer rates and 27% reduction in high-grade tumor rates.

These findings are pretty damn significant, and i'm amazed it took me so long to come across them. Currently, the only thing that tells us finasteride might cause prostate cancer is the product leaflet, and the data that is based on is now basically outdated and irrelevant.

I am personally not worried whatsoever about this, and the data in this study shows that finasteride may very well be an effective chemo preventative medication.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rather than use the term "DHT blocker" or "DHT inhibitor", I strongly advise using the same term that doctors would use in studies or other professional literature, which is "5a-reductase inhibitor".

Jacob

Reaction score
I strongly advise ignoring Bryan, as the majority of folks(99.9%) don't care and realize what you're getting at anyway.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I strongly advise ignoring Bryan, as the majority of folks(99.9%) don't care and realize what you're getting at anyway.

People DON'T know what somebody is getting at when anybody uses the term "DHT blocker" or "DHT inhibitor". One should use the same precise, modern terms that doctors use, not something made-up by lay people. To say that a person uses a "DHT blocker" is a little like saying that somebody suffers from "consumption", instead of "tuberculosis of the lungs"! :D

Jacob

Reaction score
People DON'T know what somebody is getting at when anybody uses the term "DHT blocker" or "DHT inhibitor". One should use the same precise, modern terms that doctors use, not something made-up by lay people. To say that a person uses a "DHT blocker" is a little like saying that somebody suffers from "consumption", instead of "tuberculosis of the lungs"! :D

Yes they DO know what somebody is getting at. You want to talk about something that is "made-up"? Or are you waiting until the 15th?

Keep ignoring his demands :wave:

br1

Reaction score
One thing to notice is that this research was made on people taking 5mg ED.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
All I've read about this is that the studies are inconclusive (which is slightly worrying in its self). As I understand it though, it is unlikely that DHT blockers cause prostate cancer and they can help with the detection of low grade prostate cancer however there is evidence to suggest DHT blockers make it harder to detect high grade prostate cancer and that's the worrying bit.