DHT and bodybuilding/training

do it2

Reaction score
Hi All
I have searched the forums but have struggled to find an answer. I am trying to firmly extablish the effects on the body of lowering DHT (other than the ones associated with reducing hairloss). Specifically does it slow fatloss and cause muscles to be less hard?

Thanks

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
So far I have been making great gains while on finasteride the past 4 weeks

Hopefully I will be fine.

I think there is no correlation.

Zoupa

Banned
Reaction score
i know that testosterone is the primary androgen in muscle tissue because DHT metabolizes to something else in muscle. I don't see why it'd affect fat loss.

btw, what is "muscle hardness"? I've been bodybuilding for 7 years and don't understand that term.

do it2

Reaction score
I was referring to muscle density in terms of hardness (lifting heavy as opposed to lighter and high resps).

Also I don't think test is the primiary androgen in that it's when its converted into other forms (such as DHT) it becomes most effective. I've read a few documents (google search though I confess) that suggets that DHT is needed to regulate bodyfat, maintain muscle and mucsle density and build muscle...as well as getting rid of the hair we all desperatley want to keep :eek:(

I could be incorrect though.

Zoupa said:
i know that testosterone is the primary androgen in muscle tissue because DHT metabolizes to something else in muscle. I don't see why it'd affect fat loss.

btw, what is "muscle hardness"? I've been bodybuilding for 7 years and don't understand that term.

KP211

Established Member
Reaction score
I read that taking avodart will increase testosterone and lower bodyfat I quit propecia 4 years ago and was thinking of taking 0.5mg of avodart twice a week. Yes I also read that high reps lower weight and aerobic activity is best for your hair as supposed to higher weight and lower reps. also I read while on propecia and avodart it is better to keep lean because the higher bodyfat percentage you have the more it will be converted into estrogen and we know what will happen when you increase estrogen you get limp and gyno

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
KP211 said:
I read while on propecia and avodart it is better to keep lean because the higher bodyfat percentage you have the more it will be converted into estrogen and we know what will happen when you increase estrogen you get limp and gyno

That's interesting but where did you get that info? I've never heard that mentioned before. As someone who is skinny-fat and could probably do with losing a few bodyfat % it would be interesting to think that one could increase the effectivness of propecia simply by becoming leaner!

KP211

Established Member
Reaction score
Fat cells are loaded with aromatase, storing large quantities of estrogen. The higher your percentage of body fat, the more estrogen you can produce and the fatter you will be unless you control your diet and use supplements and exercise to lower estrogen production. As you reduce stored body fat, your estrogen conversion will be reduced and symptoms of male menopause and female disorders associated with high estrogen will be greatly retarded.

Ende

Reaction score
DHT counters estrogen, and excessive estrogen may, among other things, cause water retention and make it hard to get rid of fat. Your muscles are built and maintained by testosterone.

Ende

Reaction score
vauxall said:
Enden said:
DHT counters estrogen

Does it? Can you quote any study from medline that proves that please
No, I don't know any, and I don't care to find one. I only know what I've read earlier, and I've first hand experience with the testosterone/estrogen/DHT ratio problem. Howcome estrogen raises out of range in some users, when lowering 50-70% of the DHT with finasteride, causing several problems, and eventually secondary hypogonadism because of altered testosterone/estrogen ratio (low/high)? Why does body builders use DHT derivates to counter estrogen side effects from excessive testosterone, if DHT didn't counter estrogen?

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Bodybuilder do a lot of silly things, they are not known for their intelligence. <flame expected here>

What they probably want is to increase free testosterone, not lowering estrogen. Indeed a certain amount of estrogen is needed to increase muscle mass.

Ende

Reaction score
vauxall said:
Bodybuilder do a lot of silly things, they are not known for their intelligence. <flame expected here>

What they probably want is to increase free testosterone, not lowering estrogen. Indeed a certain amount of estrogen is needed to increase muscle mass.
Funny. Some of them knows more than many doctors do. Estrogen should be in normal range, no more, no less. Too high or too low, then you'll have problems. I use a DHT derivate regularly myself, and it's not to increase free testosterone. It's to counter side effects caused by excessive estrogen, and it works. That's all I care about.