Developing a tolerance to Propecia?

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to develop a tolerance to Propecia, after 1 year of use?

I suspect Propecia is slowly stopping working in my system. These last 2 months were really bad. Never ending shedding, also itchs are slowly coming back, those characteristic itches from DHT, I had those itches before starting Propecia. And the hairline started to receed again, which is the main reason why I think it's stopping working. Propecia worked great for 10 months though.. too bad these last 2 months all is going to the trash can.

Time to switch over to Dutas?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never seen any evidence at all that anybody ever develops a tolerance to finasteride.

Bryan

G

No. Its a shed. Ride it out. I had periodic sheds like that, but don't freak out. Look at the big picture. I had a shed about a year ago that lasted 2-3 months. I've been on fina for 3 years and things are working great.

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
It is a shed

Theoretically your body will not develop a tolerance to Finasteride. However, your hair may progress to a point where finasteride cannot hold back the tide anymore. Remember, finasteride does not block 100% of DHT. It blocks something like 70%. Therefore your hair is still receiving 30% exposure to DHT. At this level your hairloss should slow down by as much as 70%.

As you have only been on the drug for 1 year this would almost certainly be a shed. finasteride (and minoxidil more so) has a tendency to synchronize the Telogen phase. As a result, every so often you will notice larger than normal amounts of hair being shed. On the bright side, it also tends to synchronize the Anagen phase, so you should experience periods of higher growth than normal.

Got to take the good with the bad. As badasshairday said, you have to look at the big picture. Treating hairloss is a lot like investing in the stock market. You will experience highs and lows, however, overall you hope to come out on top.

Stick in there and things should improve.

G

Aussie, finasteride blocks more like 85-90% of type 5AR from being converted to DHT. Not sure where this 70% figure came from.

And dutasteride blocks 98.5% of type 5AR from being converted to DHT at the recommended daily dose of 0.5 mg per day

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe it is closer to 70%

JayMan said:
Aussie, finasteride blocks more like 85-90% of type 5AR from being converted to DHT. Not sure where this 70% figure came from.
JayMan I am not going to say that you are wrong because I don't think the actual percentage that DHT is reduced is the same for everyone. Plus I know you have read up on this stuff aswell. I have seen many studies and reports with varying claims. I normally quote 70% because I rather be a little conservative with my stats. If it is higher than 70% than great.

Here are just a few of my references

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2001/20788s003lbl.pdf

http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-remedy ... oval_2.cfm

http://www.americanhairloss.org/hair_lo ... tments.asp

http://www.aeron.com/DHT.htm

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical ... opecia.php

http://www.dentalplans.com/articles/2658/

http://www.hairtransplantmedical.com/ha ... atment.htm

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The often-quoted 70% figure is for serum DHT. The amount of reduction within the hair follicle itself isn't necessarily going to be the same. Since there is a convincing study showing that the 5a-reductase within the dermal papillae of hair follicles is almost exclusively the type 2 variety, I think it's very likely that finasteride reduces follicular DHT considerably more than just 70%.

Bryan

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay I have a question for you knowledgable folk. If finasteride really inhibits the such a high percentage of dht, why does the drug not work for some people? And why does it - according to the clinical trials - seem to lose it's effectiveness after around 5 years?

I'm asking because I'm 21, probably a NW2/3 (though I'm really not sure, a pessimistic mind plays tricks) with some definite thinning on the crown, and I'm pissed off that no one in my family seems to have started losing hair so young. I started taking Propecia about 3 months ago but I'm scared shitless that I'm going to be one of these non-responders, even if they are a minority. This is partly because I feel like I'm still shedding lots of hair and I think it's got a little thinner - but there is always the chance that this is my imagination, or the results of a shed.

I'm half considering moving to Dutasteride just to be on the safe side, though I know I should give finasteride more time to work, but I'm a vain bastard and terrified of losing any ground on something that might not work. :( And if dutasteride can really reduce the production of dht by around 98.5, surely that must pretty much halt male pattern baldness almost indefinitely? But does it? Surely if it did it would almost be considered a 'wonder drug'?

Sorry for asking so many questions....

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stu85 said:
If finasteride really inhibits the such a high percentage of dht, why does the drug not work for some people? And why does it - according to the clinical trials - seem to lose it's effectiveness after around 5 years?
because on some people, that 20% remaining DHT from type II 5ar is enough to continue with male pattern baldness. also, their male pattern baldness could come from other sources such as testosterone. and it doesn't lose effectiveness. it's the remaining unblocked DHT causing damage to your follicles that become more sensitive to DHT over time. the amount blocked by finasteride doesn't decrease.

I'm half considering moving to Dutasteride just to be on the safe side, though I know I should give finasteride more time to work, but I'm a vain bastard and terrified of losing any ground on something that might not work. :( And if dutasteride can really reduce the production of dht by around 98.5, surely that must pretty much halt male pattern baldness almost indefinitely? But does it? Surely if it did it would almost be considered a 'wonder drug'?
for your hair, i guess it is kind of a super drug. but who knows about long term side effects, incluiding potential brain issues.... but if hair means that much to you, maybe it's what u should go on. however, i would suggest 0.5mg every 3 days due to the long half life. i know jayman will disagree with me,

[/quote]

abcdefg

Reaction score
Why does propecia lose it effectiveness at around the supposed 5 year mark? Why would propecia work then with no changes just stop?

beaner

Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Why does propecia lose it effectiveness at around the supposed 5 year mark? Why would propecia work then with no changes just stop?

Are you kidding? Did you not just read this thread? Read again, both of your questions have been anwswered.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Well bubka I skip dumbass threads like yours so I guess i missed where the guy asked the same thing.

bubka

Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Well bubka I skip dumbass threads like yours so I guess i missed where the guy asked the same thing.
well i guess you skipped like a few posts before your question too