Developed bad cough after taking Finasteride. Is this a known/common side effect?

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all, So I started Finasteride about a couple of months ago. Hair has really improved, and not had any really bad sides other than the odd drop in libido, though I seem to have developed a very bad chronic cough, one that is pretty much triggered most times when I talk. It's like a tickling feeling in my throat. I noticed it started around the same time I started finasteride. Though I have had and still have a bad chest infection which is making me cough mucus, though the more constant cough I am having doesn't seem normal to chest infection. Sometimes I would be talking and throat would start to tickle badly and I would go into coughing fits.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience but maybe you didn't have a chest infection and just started coughing loads for no reason?

I did read here a cough is a side effect, though I'm around 20 years younger than the age and been on it long enough to fit this: https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/finasteride/cough/

Mook

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, and looking at your other posts, you're being neurotic. not to be insensitive but you need to relax. If you're going to take finasteride, you have to just pop it and forget about it. If you constantly attribute any ailment or random health event to finasteride, you're going to just get yourself in a never-ending loop of anxiety which will just compound your "side effects." Take a deep breath and look forward to some potential hair growth.

Last edited:
Reactions: br1

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah the blood pressure thing in the other posts I'm pretty sure it's due to other issues. I don't dwell on the known side effects as I don't really get them. The cough thing is still bothering me as it started around the same time taking finasteride. I wouldn't say it makes me anxious though I would like to know if there is a possibility of the finasteride causing it and if it is a rare but known issue with the drug. It's a very unusual cough that doesn't seem to shake off, so could just be coincidence.