Detectability FYI

tsunami808

Reaction score
Just to let you know that I was going out with a woman for about a year. Talked to her recently and asked her if she knew I was wearing a toupe. She said she didnt even know I was wearing one. How's that for detectability. BUT there would be times when I didnt place it on my head high enough and people would be able to detect it (ie staring at my hair)

Peter_mac

Reaction score
BUT there would be times when I didnt place it on my head high enough and people would be able to detect it (ie staring at my hair)

And she didn't see it at those times ?, maybe she's just not that perceptive ? :)

Did she touch your hair a lot ?, what kind of base did you use ?, lace ?

tsunami808

Reaction score
Peter_mac said:
BUT there would be times when I didnt place it on my head high enough and people would be able to detect it (ie staring at my hair)

And she didn't see it at those times ?, maybe she's just not that perceptive ? :)

Did she touch your hair a lot ?, what kind of base did you use ?, lace ?

I had my hair styled to droop down in the front. Yes it was lace. I dont wear one anymore. I am a NW3. Also starting minoxidil at this time.Only my front and temples are hairless. Do any of you know what the best system material would be ?? I know lace is good but not that good. Easy to work with though.

Peter_mac

Reaction score
Do any of you know what the best system material would be ?? I know lace is good but not that good

When you say lace is not that good, in which area do you mean it's not that good ?, attachment ?, detectibility ?, something else ?

CCS

Reaction score
Peter_mac said:
Do any of you know what the best system material would be ?? I know lace is good but not that good

When you say lace is not that good, in which area do you mean it's not that good ?, attachment ?, detectibility ?, something else ?

Cleaning is the hardest part, compared to skin. You can attach it once you are skilled, but it still is not nearly as attached as skin. You can also feel the sticky glue from the top, but skilled guys say they can get the glue thin enough to not feel. I doubt that, since the holes are big enough.

But lace is very undetectable. I can't say much about skin yet, but the right color swiss glued down can't be seen and is hard to feel.

beemark

Reaction score
I alternate between all-lace and lace with a ThinSkin perimeter. Lace is the most undetectable material, but ThinSkin is a close second.

You cannot feel any stickiness whatsoever when you use liquid adhesive with lace. Think about it - if it stayed sticky, all of the hairs would get stuck to the adhesive and be a matted, tangled mess. That is not the case at all.

You will get a more secure attachment with ThinSkin because there is more surface area that contacts the scalp than with lace (no holes). Nonetheless, I still get a solid 6 - 7 day attachment (I have oily skin) with liquid adhesive (I use Base Bond).

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What does FYI stand for?

CCS

Reaction score
beemark said:
You cannot feel any stickiness whatsoever when you use liquid adhesive with lace. Think about it - if it stayed sticky, all of the hairs would get stuck to the adhesive and be a matted, tangled mess. That is not the case at all.

You will get a more secure attachment with ThinSkin because there is more surface area that contacts the scalp than with lace (no holes). Nonetheless, I still get a solid 6 - 7 day attachment (I have oily skin) with liquid adhesive (I use Base Bond).

I used basebond. And the hairs stuck to the glue if I ever patted my head. It would be sticky the next day too. And I tried to spread it thin. The stickiness made it very detectable to touch at the hairline. I just don't know how other guys got around this. But if I wrapped a piece of plan lace around my finger and rubbed it, I could not feel it or the transition. Good stuff. I just don't like the glue. If the glue worked for me, I'd never go to thin skin.

CCS

Reaction score
person said:
What does FYI stand for?
For Your Information. FYI is used everywhere, in regular conversation, not just on the net.

beemark

Reaction score
I also use Base Bond and I don't understand why you are having this problem. I love it because it is the easiest adhesive to apply (because of its thin consistency) and it dries very quickly.

I apply 3 layers and each dries in about a minute. If any excess remains on my scalp in front of the hairline, I clean it off with a Q-Tip (cotton swab) dipped in alcohol.

To apply, I dip a wedge-shaped foam cosmetic sponge in the Base Bond, wipe the excess off the sponge and apply. It should turn clear almost immediately. If it doesn't, you're using too much.

CCS

Reaction score
I would put a drop on my finger tip and spread it around as far as it would go until my finger got stuck. I'd then pull off, get another drop, and continue until I had outlined the desired area. I'd have to use friction with my thumb and finger to get the layer off my finger between applications. There might have been some white. I'd wait close to minute, and it would still be sticky, but I'd apply another layer. Then I'd try to put the piece on, but once it stuck, it stuck. And if I pulled it off to adjust it, the glue would not be as sticky there anymore when I restuck it. And I don't like the smell of basebond either. One of the other white glues smells like scotch tape. But if I used thin skin, I know no one would be able to smell anything.

As for clean up, cleaning the scalp is easy. Getting it out of the piece hair is impossible, and getting out of my hair involves pulling hairs, though shampoo helps get half of it out. Getting it off the base is almost impossible. I can mirror slide 70% of it off, but can't get all of it out of the holes. And there is always a gumby residue that weakens future bonds. I gave up on getting the glue out of some of the piece hair. It just looked like some sweat or gel hand stuck some hairs together. It was not white. Had a wet look. So I just left it in. I tried "Dissolve it" and some other greasy glue removers, but none took it off. They could make the base slippery though.

Maybe it is my skin chemistry, or maybe I got to try using even less and give it more time to dry. But I think I may just be better off getting a skin perimeter. All the guys on TopLace.com can't get over how much trouble I had. They say I must be doing something wrong. There were some threads on there with guys discussing better cleanup methods. Some say balloons are the best sliding remover.

Skin colored swiss lace is impossible to see. And very hard to feel. If you can get it down without feeling the glue on the other side, go for it. But I had trouble pressing down the piece after putting it on. If I pressed, the hair would stick to the base. I used the plastic guards of my robo cutter to comb the hair back up, and used it to press the base down without pressing the hair down. But that lead to uneven pressing, and base lift in front.

Lace is so hard to see, that even with 1/8 inch of lift in front, people did not notice. I'm sure had they been closer and looked they might have seen. But they were 6 feet away and had not reason to suspect.

Peter_mac

Reaction score
Holy cow CSS, how much trouble you got !!!

Do you understand that if after I shave my head I'll get your types of trouble I will be in DEEP sh*t ???

Have you seen Michegen Baldy's DVD ?, look how easy it is for him to put it on his head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEKEMBp9xCI

He's using tape not glue... but I think in his DVD there are also instructions for glue.

I was told French lace is much more easy to work with than Swiss lace...

How were you called at Toplace forum ?

CCS

Reaction score
I am Grafted2NW2 and Touped2NW1 on Toplace. I'm in the archives.

No, I did not see his video. I have held a sample of French and Swiss in my hand. Given them one at a time, you might not know which is which. But side by side, the swiss is much less detectable. I think the French may pass the sight test, not as well as swiss though. But I'd be worried about the feel test. Not 100% sure they'd feel it, but very possible.

As for tape, I've bought samples. Those guys on Toplace have LOW standards. Many of them don't even shave their heads under their piece. Sure, many are smooth NW5's and 6's. But a lot of them have thinning hair and just buzz it down a bit and wear for 2 weeks at a time without shaving. BA has a low hairline, but does not bother to get temple flaps. His hair looks good, but the temples give him away, IMO. MB has more recession so the temples don't matter as much. Now that I've highlighted their standards (many don't mind wearing with unbleached knots), I hope you don't believe them as much when they say the tape is thin. I bought ST-30 tape. It is as thick as 5 sheets of paper put together. No way would someone not feel the edge. They could see it too. The guys on toplace thin it a bit with a hot blow dryer and stretch it. ST30 will pull hairs to the other side of the lace if you try to reposition without lace release. And if you don't line tape up perfectly with the hairline, no alcohol will remove it. That is why most guys undershoot and then use a toothpick and glue for the remaining edge.

My advice is to get a skin perimeter piece and an all lace piece, and get glue and tape. Try the french and ST, but have the skin and basebond as a backup.

CCS

Reaction score
90% of the guys on there get stock pieces instead of custom pieces. They only worry about the hairline edge. They blend the hair in back with gel, and don't let women feel the base edge in back. If that is what you want, take their advice. But if you go custom and use extra thought, I bet you can get away with a woman's hands in your hair. Swiss is very good stuff, but attaching it is the problem. I have a swiss sample, and swaped it around my finger, and could barely feel it with my other finger, could not feel the edge, and could barely see it up close. The technology is there. You just got to figure out how to use it, and a lot of these guys don't have high standards.

Peter_mac

Reaction score
No, I did not see his video. I have held a sample of French and Swiss in my hand. Given them one at a time, you might not know which is which. But side by side, the swiss is much less detectable. I think the French may pass the sight test, not as well as swiss though. But I'd be worried about the feel test. Not 100% sure they'd feel it, but very possible.
Ok, this is enough to persuade me to stay with swiss.

As for tape, I've bought samples. Those guys on Toplace have LOW standards. Many of them don't even shave their heads under their piece. Sure, many are smooth NW5's and 6's. But a lot of them have thinning hair and just buzz it down a bit and wear for 2 weeks at a time without shaving.
I’ve been reading that it is NOT good to completely shave if you are going to apply glue very soon afterwards, since by shaving you injure the skin on the microscopic level, and then if glue gets in there, you’ll get irritation. That’s why I’ve heard people are not completely shaving, but just almost.

BA has a low hairline, but does not bother to get temple flaps. His hair looks good, but the temples give him away, IMO. MB has more recession so the temples don't matter as much. Now that I've highlighted their standards (many don't mind wearing with unbleached knots), I hope you don't believe them as much when they say the tape is thin.
But still CSS, look at some of the recent pics that have been posted there, these are not low standards…
Kevo88:
http://www.toplace.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=477

Burns (under harsh conditions):
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lokuttara ... 5482574914

Janissary:
http://www.toplace.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=195

I bought ST-30 tape. It is as thick as 5 sheets of paper put together. No way would someone not feel the edge. They could see it too. The guys on toplace thin it a bit with a hot blow dryer and stretch it. ST30 will pull hairs to the other side of the lace if you try to reposition without lace release. And if you don't line tape up perfectly with the hairline, no alcohol will remove it. That is why most guys undershoot and then use a toothpick and glue for the remaining edge.
From what I’ve read, you really need glue on the front hairline for it to look excellent, but you can use tape (non-residue one) for the sides and back. The tape will be somewhat detectable to touch, but I can live with that for now. Btw, if you’re doing a comb-down style and use some gel, woman will still want to run their hands through your hair ?, how could they do it with such hairstyle without ruin the style ???

My advice is to get a skin perimeter piece and an all lace piece, and get glue and tape. Try the french and ST, but have the skin and basebond as a backup.
But when you say “skin perimeter†piece, you mean just the sides and back, no the front hairline, right ?, The skin is detectable to touch, so why shouldn’t I use swiss lace with tape for the perimeter (not front hairline) ?

90% of the guys on there get stock pieces instead of custom pieces. They only worry about the hairline edge.

I never saw a stock piece that looked right. All of the pics that excited me where of custom pieces.

They blend the hair in back with gel, and don't let women feel the base edge in back. If that is what you want, take their advice.

Of course that is not what I want, but we also need to be practical.

But if you go custom and use extra thought, I bet you can get away with a woman's hands in your hair.

Look, I can live without woman touching my hair, at least until I’ll learn how to do it right. Currently I got a combover and I CAN’T let women touch my hair, so it’s not like I’m losing anything.

Swiss is very good stuff, but attaching it is the problem. I have a swiss sample, and swaped it around my finger, and could barely feel it with my other finger, could not feel the edge, and could barely see it up close. The technology is there. You just got to figure out how to use it, and a lot of these guys don't have high standards.
I don’t remember, did you say the piece you got was all swiss lace ?

There must be a good solution for attachment of swiss lace, It seems that non-residue tape for the sides and back, and glue for the front, is the best people came out with… I’m not sure why it didn’t work out for you… It seems that you main trouble was getting glue from the scalp through the lace, to the hair. I wonder if you just used too much glue, but on the other hand, even if you used very little, still, the lace is porous and hence even if the glue is smeared in a very thin manner, if hair will touch it (through the pours of the lace), it will stick. I’ve ordered MB’s DVD and I’ll see how he does it….

Peter_mac

Reaction score
It seems that you main trouble was getting glue from the scalp through the lace, to the hair. I wonder if you just used too much glue, but on the other hand, even if you used very little, still, the lace is porous and hence even if the glue is smeared in a very thin manner, if hair will touch it (through the pours of the lace), it will stick.

I just gave it some more thought and came to the conclusion you definitely used too much glue. The proof is that with tape, you don't get this problem, and basically if you apply a thin enough layer of glue, it will not be any different than tape in its ability to get into the hair.

CCS

Reaction score
I'ved used ST30 tape too. Also could feel the stick from the other side.

The shaving issue sounds like an issue. I got some course grafts that would not let me get an edgeless attachement if I don't shave them smooth. I never had irritation shaving though. I'm sure some guys may be a bit jealous of my grafts, but I actually get jealous of their smooth heads since they can get much better attachments. But it is nice knowing I can grow out a thin NW2 if I get tired of the piece.

Though you may feel you are in a worse boat than I'm in, the fact is you have a much easier decision to make. The piece is an obvious improvement, and your think hairs won't hurt the attachment at all. I'd have to laser mine to get that attachment, but then there would be no going back.

My hair is thin in front, very thin, but maybe I should just get a very thin front partial, like 1/2 thin, and just lower my hairline that way. It would certainly be an immediate improvement, but just possibly not as good as the laser idea or the shave idea.

FYI, when I see a piece from top view, I can tell immediately it is a piece. The grid row pattern just jumps out at me. Until they make random patterned lace, it will be a dead give away.

And yes, my first was swiss. Very very good stuff. Just got to find a way to attach it, and make sure your growing hair does not lift the bond.

Swiss is as strong as athletic tape. If you grip an edge finely, so you hit just one fiber, you can rip with some effort. But if the force is distributed over a few fibers, it will not get ripped. Guys rip it when they put it on their head, realize they did not position it right, and then try to pull it off and reposition it, often just starting with one edge. French is dumby proof, but more detectable to feel.

Peter_mac

Reaction score
FYI, when I see a piece from top view, I can tell immediately it is a piece. The grid row pattern just jumps out at me. Until they make random patterned lace, it will be a dead give away.

What ???

I agree that if you are using lace base, and darker hair, and the knots are not bleached, then yes, you can definitely see a horrible grid. But I saw pics of lace with bleached knots, and it looked just like regular hair, I couldn't tell. I know that experience barbers (including Debbie from Toplace) have hard time telling when the piece is lace with bleached knots.

And yes, my first was swiss. Very very good stuff. Just got to find a way to attach it, and make sure your growing hair does not lift the bond.

I am very active (4-5 times a week do sports), and my scalp is very oily. I don't know how will I manage without washing my head everyday (I wash my head everyday since I remember myself). If the wig can't take washing everyday (with shampoo, to remove the oily feeling on the scalp), I'll have to remove it everyday... I'm not sure how practical this will be if every remove/attach cycle will take ~1hour.

CCS

Reaction score
It does not take 1 hour. Well, maybe if you slide all the glue off, which I never did. Some guys shower with the piece on. You just got to use the right shampoo, and not scrub it. The piece lasts longer though if you take it off.

Nizoral shampoo will help big time with the oilyness, and slow future balding. So will shampoo with piroctone olamine in it.