Destroying Testosterone & DHT?

Boba155

Reaction score
Has this idea already been shot down? Sorry if I'm behind the curve on this one, just recently had a bit of "hair scare" and figured I might want to get involved in the hair loss community if it is indeed male pattern baldness.

Seems like a semi-plausable concept. Encase something that metabolizes DHT/Testosterone into a liposome that exclusively targets hair follicles.

Result would be hair follicles without DHT/Testosterone, without affecting the body's testosterone and DHT levels.

For instance, you could encase very large, very concentrated quantities of aromatase into liposomes. The liposomes enter the hair follicles and the aromatase would convert testosterone to estrogen, stopping the build up or even production of DHT. Since liposomes can exclusively target hair follicles, it would be like having a man's body with female hair.

I'm pretty good with liposomes and chems (work in a lab in DC). Should I give this a shot?

Any flaws or reasons this wouldn't work? Negative feedback, etc.?

Thanks!

Boba155

Reaction score
finfighter said:
How are you sure that the estrogen produced at the hair follicle would not cause systematic side effects?

I'm not sure. As far as I know, this has never been done before.

But liposomes are extremely good at confining effects to a certain tissue.

For instance, the lab I work at has a "grey-hair cure" in it's works, involving liposomes and melanosome proteins. Effects seem to be exclusively confined to hair follicles, and minimal spread to the surrounding epidermis.

baldinglikeamofo

Established Member
Reaction score
Boba155 said:
Has this idea already been shot down? Sorry if I'm behind the curve on this one, just recently had a bit of "hair scare" and figured I might want to get involved in the hair loss community if it is indeed male pattern baldness.

Seems like a semi-plausable concept. Encase something that metabolizes DHT/Testosterone into a liposome that exclusively targets hair follicles.

Result would be hair follicles without DHT/Testosterone, without affecting the body's testosterone and DHT levels.

For instance, you could encase very large, very concentrated quantities of aromatase into liposomes. The liposomes enter the hair follicles and the aromatase would convert testosterone to estrogen, stopping the build up or even production of DHT. Since liposomes can exclusively target hair follicles, it would be like having a man's body with female hair.

I'm pretty good with liposomes and chems (work in a lab in DC). Should I give this a shot?

Thanks!

I already thought of this before, but where are you going to buy aromatase? Yep, so i gave up.

S&L

Reaction score
Boba155 said:

Thanks!

Just a thought from a biology student : out of the box thinking can't hurt .

You can target hair follicles pretty well , ok .
But what of the active ingredient inside ? Will it remain localized ?

Liposomal minoxidil and finasteride ( or dutasteride I don't remember if type I or II 5ar is predominant in the hair follicles ) could be nice too .

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
the lab I work at has a "grey-hair cure" in it's works

im in my 30's and starting to get grey hairs, about 20, mainly in the male pattern baldness region, but not all of them.

i've noticed my grey hairs, in the male pattern baldness area, seem to be immune to male pattern baldness. I pull them out with tweezers (lol), and they always grow back. Furthermore, they seem to be bright white, not grey at all. (i think the grey hair appearance is just the combination of black hairs and white hairs, in my case anyway) I mean when people go completely grey, it is usually quite close to white.

anyway, i wonder if there could be a mechanism where grey hairs become immune to male pattern baldness. as in they fall out, and grow back without miniturization.

If so, perhaps theres a treatment that could be made. Maybe find out what it is about grey hairs that makes them immune to male pattern baldness, and try and replicate that.

i have no proof grey hairs are immune to it, but so far mine seem to be.

Jacob

Reaction score
Boba155 said:
finfighter said:
How are you sure that the estrogen produced at the hair follicle would not cause systematic side effects?

I'm not sure. As far as I know, this has never been done before.

But liposomes are extremely good at confining effects to a certain tissue.

For instance, the lab I work at has a "grey-hair cure" in it's works, involving liposomes and melanosome proteins. Effects seem to be exclusively confined to hair follicles, and minimal spread to the surrounding epidermis.

Mmmmmmmm liposomes.

Are you guys by any chance working on any other hair related products..perhaps for hair loss? Sounds interesting..what you're doing.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Boba155 said:

Well, the basic concept of what you're suggesting has already been discussed extensively on hairloss forums for years; that's the idea of using topical antiandrogens and 5a-reductase inhibitors. You apply them directly to the scalp and they affect the hair follicles directly, without causing systemic effects in the entire body.

Jacob

Reaction score
Liposome type tech is used for more than just avoiding or limiting systemic effects(needing less of the active can be one reason)..they can, as I think someone here suggested..be used to target the follicles themselves. They allow for time-release of the ingredients. And in at least one example I've pointed out..an encapsulated ingred produced results when the non-encapsulated ingred didn't.

S&L

Reaction score
A guy that works with liposomes comes , opens a thread and doesn't come back , great :thumbdown2:

Hoppi

Reaction score
S&L said:
A guy that works with liposomes comes , opens a thread and doesn't come back , great :thumbdown2:

xD

I think it's awesome he might be experimenting with this, although I have to admit I don't know what the best mechanism would be, it's something I haven't thought about much before O.O