Dermarolling Safety Thread. Maximizing Growth And Minimizing Scarring.

westonci

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I will use the Volume, intensity and frequency pyramid used in Bodybuilding

PvCTghm.gif

In the case of dermarolling/dermastamping

• Intensity is how long the needle is and much pressure your put when you roll/stamp the scalp.
  • Volume is how many times you go over the same spot during a wounding session
  • Frequency is how often you wound. i.e once a week, once every 3 weeks etc.

For facial rejuvenation purposes most recommend 1mm every 10-14 days or 1.5mm every 14-21 days. Usually recommending 6-8 passes per spot.

http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/dermarolling-explained/

tswXOGP.png

https://www.docdroid.net/1DGHYix/dermaroller-instructions.pdf
u1by15A.png

Ive had 2 pitted scars from wounding very hard and aggressive with 1.5mm(intensity) and high volume(10-12 passes per spot). Even though the frequency is low. I.e once every 3 weeks.

According to this new chinese study they did wounding once every 2 weeks 1.5 -2.5mm with 3-4 passes per spot.

https://www.docdroid.net/Q4cnC2V/101080-at-1476417220171376094.pdf

My recommendation now is 1.5mm once every 2 or 3 weeks. Volume should be 4-8 passes per spot and intensity should be enough to see blood. If you just see redness you didnt go hard enough.

If you see blood by 4-8 passes than you went hard enough. Dont do more than you need and better to be on the safe side.

Also don't apply any topical solution for 24 hrs after wounding. If its ethanol based i would wait 48 hrs just to be safe.

Last edited:

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the chinese study did not mention drawing of blood. They also applied minoxidil directly afterwards (1 application per wounding session)

where are your scars, and what was the needle depth?

westonci

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the chinese study did not mention drawing of blood. They also applied minoxidil directly afterwards (1 application per wounding session)

where are your scars, and what was the needle depth?

1.5mm. Very small pitted scar, it went away after 2-3 deramstamping sessions since ironically the cure for pitted scars is dermarolling.

Oh I assumed "local hemoraging" (the term they used in the paper) ment bleeding.

westonci

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Another important topic would be disinfection. What is your process?

im gonna be honest. I shower thoroughly and shampoo the day off then wound when the scalp is dry.

As for after wounding I dont really do anything.

I do clean all the materials with soap and water followed by ethanol.

Trax1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well i've disagree.
I'm use dermaroll 1.5 mm with 540 needles every week (with good preshure - i've got pretty much of blood on my skin after session) - no scars .
Also - swiss use the same 1.5 mm once a week.

Also don't apply any topical solution for 24 hrs after wounding. If its ethanol based i would wait 48 hrs just to be safe.
Could you explain - why? I've hit all my staff (and there is really a lot of all with dmso, ppg, ethanol) just after wounding, and i don't see any sides from that.

Last edited:

MomoGee

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People's skin differs a lot from person to person. I've dermarolled with 1.5mm going back and forth 20 times in a single spot and I still didn't draw blood.

There's going to be contradicting comments cause we will experience different things. It's best to know your own skin, start really low (0.5mm) then increase length and frequency of your skin can take it. Don't follow what someone else finds ideal.

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1.5mm. Very small pitted scar, it went away after 2-3 deramstamping sessions since ironically the cure for pitted scars is dermarolling.

Oh I assumed "local hemoraging" (the term they used in the paper) ment bleeding.

First off thanks for the post it's very useful information especially for me who is going through microneedling as well. I just have a few questions I hope you don't mind giving me some info on:

1.) You said here for "facial rejuvenation purposes" but in a post awhile back I think you said you used it on your scalp. I'm doing this on my scalp which I believe has thicker skin so would I be okay with a 2mm and 4-8 passes every 2 weeks? Or better yet what are you using on your scalp?

2.) I want to apply hyaluronic acid on the treated area immediately after treatment because it's supposed be very good at sucking in moisture (in this case into the wound) and keeping your skin moisturized as is recommended with both scarred and scarless skin. So do you think I'd be alright to use that immediately instead of waiting the 24 hours?

ALightInTheDark

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to apply hyaluronic acid on the treated area immediately after treatment because it's supposed be very good at sucking in moisture (in this case into the wound) and keeping your skin moisturized as is recommended with both scarred and scarless skin. So do you think I'd be alright to use that immediately instead of waiting the 24 hours?

For skin 0.5mm on sensible parts and 1mm in your face. You can use it,since clinics use some peptide gel/hyaluronic injection right after dermaneedling

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The famous dhurat study had no mention of bleeding, just "erythema." I even think someone on the btt forum contacted the doctor and asked. Her response was something like there would occasionally be 1 or 2 spots of blood on the entire scalp.

On a side note when I do my dermarolling once a week I sneeze and my nose runs for a good hour. Anyone else experience thus strange phenomenon?

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone achieved anything with dermarolling alone?

I doubt there is someone out there using it on its own .
My exp;I dermaroll once every 2 weeks for the beginning of this year (added dermaroller 1year after minoxidil). Tbh I must have missed few times because of lack of alcohol to desinfect...
But I have seen very few regrowth(not enough in my case) on my hairline but more importantly and interestingly hair thickening all over the area. I can see what should be my hairline without hairloss but the density is crap(damage done years ago). Like I said in another thread I should have started dermaroller sooner to see what potential it could have. Conclusion If someone has kind of diffuse hairloss, he should maybe give it a go sooner rather than later ; ) .

On a side note when I do my dermarolling once a week I sneeze and my nose runs for a good hour. Anyone else experience thus strange phenomenon?

Yes same. and few tears aswell.
I can't avoid few blood drop...but I'm far from some gore pictures we have already seen here : D
Another thing ,my scalp skin feels tight during few hours...

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on combining 1.5mm rolling with rolling for absorption (of topicals). Do you think its possible to combine?

And do people here roll 1.5mm all over the scalp or only bald spots?

dermrafok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A Comparative Study of Microneedling with Platelet-rich Plasma Plus Topical Minoxidil (5%) and Topical Minoxidil (5%) Alone in Androgenetic Alopecia Int J Trichology. 2017 Jan-Mar; 9(1): 14–18.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5514790/

This study was previously published in this forum. However, i wonder why this treatment is not available in all aesthetic dermatology clinics in the United States and Europe. It really is a great study!

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People's skin differs a lot from person to person. I've dermarolled with 1.5mm going back and forth 20 times in a single spot and I still didn't draw blood.

There's going to be contradicting comments cause we will experience different things. It's best to know your own skin, start really low (0.5mm) then increase length and frequency of your skin can take it. Don't follow what someone else finds ideal.
I second this!
Due to the extreme variations in human scalp skin thickness, *one size DOES NOT fit all*.
This cannot be said enough.
Therefore, one should imho start off carefully, and go from there.

ALightInTheDark

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
on average, 21.78 Euros for an electric derma stamp/pen(aka 'derminator'. Yup, that's where they source their 150usd+ 'Derminators' from- Chinese suppliers)

Derminator has a real motor for their engine. Good luck with your 22E low budget motor and micro-scarring :) It has nothing to do with derminator

Last edited: