Dermaroller, What Is The Correct Way To Use It?

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just ordered a Derma Roller 0.5mm after seeing good reviews from whoever has used it.

This video one one of them -

But what is the right way to use it? Only on bald patches like on temples? (Which I don't have full bald patches)

I read somewhere else it shouldn't be used on areas with even hair follicles as it can damage the current hair there, any thoughts?

And do you use Minoxidil directly after it?

Mrbig

My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally I use it all over, if your dealing with hair loss and using minoxidil I take it your already suffering from male pattern baldness, therefore the "good" bits of hair you have now will possibly eventually thin out, so as a preventative to this and try and keep as much hair as you can, I would use the dermaroller all over and use the minoxidil all over, I just started using it within the last 5 weeks but wish I would have used it sooner.

You hear people saying better to catch male pattern baldness sooner rather than later by using the big 3 I guess they are right but if I can regrow 25% ( being optimistic ) and keep it for a few years I would count that as a success using the dermaroller, nizoarl and min along with biotin supplement alone.

I roll all over my scalp I give the hair line and bits I'm seriously thinning a good going over all in all takes about 5-10 mins I do this 3 times a week with it then apply the monoxidil, no pain no Gain ! Good luck !

Last edited:

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What mm size did you go for? I saw another guy on this forum with good results used 1mm and on a video they recommend 0.5mm

Is there a video you used that tells you how to roll it over your head? What time do you do this approx? As I'm guessing once you've done this it's a bit hard to style your hair so I am guessing at night it is the best before sleep?

Since you've used it do you feel better or see anything positive?

Mrbig

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im using 1mm I have a thread if you wana take a look at my progress over 5 weeks using the dermaroller and minoxidil again I'm not sure if the dermaroller is actually doing anything it could be just the minoxidil alone but there's no harm trying and looking at studies regarding absorption and dermaroller it's worth a go,
I'm only using minoxidil once a day at night so that's when I roll once every 3 days I find it better to do on damp hair then I dry my hair off and apply minoxidil, I didn't watch any videos I just roll it moderately hard over my scalp especially along hairline temples and crown, it's sore but it doesn't draw blood I spend about 5 mins just rolling all over my scalp back and forward,

Results for me are positive esp along hairline where I wasn't expecting to grow anything I have hundreds of small blonde vellus hairs weather they turn terminal I think it's a bit early to tell

irishdub

Established Member
Reaction score
Depending on needle size of derma roller you have to becareful with minoxidil.

If you are using the derma roller to increase minoxidil absorption you need to use a very small needle size.

I'm three weeks into derma rolling. 1.5 needle. I roll quite aggressively for ten minutes, four directions, my scalp goes red but does not bleed.
I do it once a week and do not use minoxidil that night. I'm not doing it to increase minoxidil absorption.

So far I am pleasantly surprised. I react quite fast to any medication or change in my body.
There is a noticeable thickening of my hair, especially front centre.

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

If you are using the derma roller to increase minoxidil absorption you need to use a very small needle size.

I'm three weeks into derma rolling. 1.5 needle. I roll quite aggressively for ten minutes, four directions, my scalp goes red but does not bleed.
I do it once a week and do not use minoxidil that night. I'm not doing it to increase minoxidil absorption.

So far I am pleasantly surprised. I react quite fast to any medication or change in my body.

That's great to hear, to start with I went with a safe option of 0.5mm but even on the packaging it says 0.5mm is not enough for hair follicle boost.

However I got it now and will try it - my point is, if we do this, do we do this over our hair? I'm not bald anywhere I just have a lot of thinning so when you say you do it all over, do we do it over hair? Won't we damage hair if we do that?

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i use 1.0mm

Everyday Gently for 2-3 mins to increase minoxidil absorption
Then some day forcing it a little bit to scalp bleed and not putting minoxidil for 1-2 days.

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i use 1.0mm

Everyday Gently for 2-3 mins to increase minoxidil absorption
Then some day forcing it a little bit to scalp bleed and not putting minoxidil for 1-2 days.

That's alot everyday.

Do you use it before you apply Minoxidil?

So you take a break from Minoxidil for 2 days also in a week?

Have you seen improvements since your doing this way of DermaRolling?

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it boosted my minoxidil gains.

I used 1.5mm but was bleeding always.

1.0mm seems perfect for me.

And its not once a week when i force it. It just about once a 14 days i think then yeah break for 2 days of minoxidil

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use 1.5mm roller once a week and .5mm twice a week and apply minoxidil twice a day. I’m on my second week now so can give any judgement of whether it’s working or not.

I roll Sunday Tuesday and Thursday nights just before bed because that way The redness/ bleeding is gone by the morning.

I don’t think there is a general concensous on what the best method of rolling is nor how frequent it should be done. The Indian study I think only rolled once a week I think. Also if you’re rolling just for the wounding benefit, the wounding process takes 14 days so many say it’s pointless or counter intuitive rolling any more then that. I’m rolling more frequently as I’m going for maximum minoxidil absorption.

Will post if I get any results.

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use 1.5mm roller once a week and .5mm twice a week and apply minoxidil twice a day. I’m on my second week now so can give any judgement of whether it’s working or not.

I roll Sunday Tuesday and Thursday nights just before bed because that way The redness/ bleeding is gone by the morning.

I don’t think there is a general concensous on what the best method of rolling is nor how frequent it should be done. The Indian study I think only rolled once a week I think. Also if you’re rolling just for the wounding benefit, the wounding process takes 14 days so many say it’s pointless or counter intuitive rolling any more then that. I’m rolling more frequently as I’m going for maximum minoxidil absorption.

Will post if I get any results.

The minoxidil. you apply straight after you rolled?

Are you doing it all over your head? Did you watch any video to guide you?

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The minoxidil. you apply straight after you rolled?

Are you doing it all over your head? Did you watch any video to guide you?

I apply minoxidil all over my head but cant really roll all over because i have long hair. I focus my temples and crown when i roll, but try my best at an even roll. Yes i apply minoxidil straight after, its not suggested but i want maximum absorption and also since its alcoholic i guess it works as a disinfectant too.

I watched videos but i have developed my own technique because everyones hair is different and grows in different directions, hence you should find a direction to roll that doesn't rip your hair out.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Get a dermastamp. the roller is for the face and such places where the stamp is difficult to apply.
A stamp does way more clean wounds which also dont hurt that much.

Mrbig

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get a dermastamp. the roller is for the face and such places where the stamp is difficult to apply.
A stamp does way more clean wounds which also dont hurt that much.
Nice I'd actually never heard of a dermastamp before but they look Great

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also there is conflicting info about Dermarolling

Is it to be used, then after Minoxidil?

Or once you Dermaroll you should not use minoxidil?

I have a 0.5mm Dermaroller and then I got a 1.5mm Dermastamp, I havn't used the stamp yet but the roller so far I would use it twice a week and then I would always apply Minoxidil directly after using it, before bed time.

Roses

Established Member
Reaction score

So you roll and then not apply minoxidil the same night? Is it not better to use it just after?