Dermaroller + Minoxidil = Success ?

SaitamaSensei

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
all the threads I'm viewing recently on the forum about the dermaroller always has great results. Is dermarolling worth giving the effort for example 6 months or so? Thats how long they say its going to show results.

Ayr9

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We really dont know if it will work for you.But try everything that is possible and you never know what works for your hair

Ryko

Reaction score
Yes, It's "worth it" you only need to derma your scalp every 10 days (or even twice a month) with needle sizes between 1.5mm - 2.5mm don't go above that. It hurts a bit but it only takes 10 minutes and it increases minoxidil absorption immensely. Some studies show even 300% more absorption.

SaitamaSensei

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
300 is a lot, the forums ive been looking the guys there were doing it everyday and the results are substantial for example check somebody alex's topic.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my Derminator to start alongside minoxidil.

Bought a 1.5mm dermaroller and f*** that sh*t is painful as all hell. And i didn't even get pinpricks of blood.
Just way too painful though. There's no way I would do that manually on a weekly basis.

I'd rather just pass the derminator over my scalp and let it do it's thang

SaitamaSensei

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive been using 1.5 roller for 2 months now for everyday before applying minoxidil I know the pain but you get used to it pretty quickly

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
There are currently two popular methods to use the dermaroller with minoxidil.

1) Roll lightly just before applying minoxidil (this is to increase absorption)

2) Roll once, fairly hard, every 7 days, and do NOT apply minoxidil for 24 hours after this session. The purpose of this method is to induce collagen in the scalp by "wounding" it.

Many have tried both methods, some reporting great success with either/or. What you choose is up to you. There was a decent study done with the second method. There is also a poster on here who got darn good results in less than six months with method 2. "Somebody" is a well known poster who got good results with method 1, however, he is a great responder to Finasteride, which I think contributes to the majority of his success.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are currently two popular methods to use the dermaroller with minoxidil.

1) Roll lightly just before applying minoxidil (this is to increase absorption)

2) Roll once, fairly hard, every 7 days, and do NOT apply minoxidil for 24 hours after this session. The purpose of this method is to induce collagen in the scalp by "wounding" it.

Many have tried both methods, some reporting great success with either/or. What you choose is up to you. There was a decent study done with the second method. There is also a poster on here who got darn good results in less than six months with method 2. "Somebody" is a well known poster who got good results with method 1, however, he is a great responder to Finasteride, which I think contributes to the majority of his success.

Yeah but Somebody's hair still looked fairly bad even after being like 3 years on finasteride. He only started getting his miraculous regrowth after minoxidil and dermarolling were added.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
His hair looked great on finasteride. minoxidil was just the icing on the cake. I think his results are the exception to the rule. Most should not expect those results.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe you're a slow responder, also why not buy a dermapen?

I agree with this sentiment. For what it's worth, I've done three dermarolling sessions now with my head buzzed short. I use the 1.5mm and applied firm pressure all over my scalp and got barely any redness. And it hurt like a b**ch, but still only got minimal erythema. I feel like you need to see a few pinpricks of blood to get the full effect from dermaneedling, which is why I've ordered a derminator

SaitamaSensei

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been dermarolling with minoxidil for 6 months and there's no improvement whatsoever.

Yea you may be a slow responder or its due to the hair growing cycles just stick with it man. As far as results go only noticeable change for me is reduced hair fall and my hair feels stronger overall but cant say for sure its from dermarolling yet.