Dermapen needles not penetrating deep enough?

Lookaway

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using a dermapen and dermaroller for about 3 months now. The thing I've noticed is that my pen (DrPen A6S) doesn't penetrate as well as my roller. I did record a slow motion video and it does go back and forth as it's supposed to, but for some reason I didn't feel anything. I even went as deep as 2mm but I didn't even bleed. It's like when the needles touch my skin they bounce back. However, I bled much more with the 1.5mm roller, and with the roller I felt like the needles actually poke in my skin. Anyone feel the same?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I've been using a dermapen and dermaroller for about 3 months now. The thing I've noticed is that my pen (DrPen A6S) doesn't penetrate as well as my roller. I did record a slow motion video and it does go back and forth as it's supposed to, but for some reason I didn't feel anything. I even went as deep as 2mm but I didn't even bleed. It's like when the needles touch my skin they bounce back. However, I bled much more with the 1.5mm roller, and with the roller I felt like the needles actually poke in my skin. Anyone feel the same?
I have the same derma pen model and I feel the pain at 1mm. At the front, I get some mild blood. Maybe you need to put more pressure on the pen. The higher the speed the less you feel it. I go at level 6. My scalp is sore for days after.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When you use a derma roller you are tearing the skin hence the increased pain while using the same. The needles in a derma stamp and derma pen penetrate the scalp in an up/down motion so no tearing.

You should also make sure you hold your derma pen firmly against the scalp.

Young&thinning

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
When you use a derma roller you are tearing the skin hence the increased pain while using the same. The needles in a derma stamp and derma pen penetrate the scalp in an up/down motion so no tearing.

You should also make sure you hold your derma pen firmly against the scalp.
I was going to say the exact same, this is legit.

The pain and blood actually derives from the Dermaroller needles entering and leaving your scalp at a weird angle which causes tearing.

Young&thinning

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Young&thinning @mooreu @DoctorHouse

That was helpful thank you guys.

But skin tearing isn't that bad is it? For some reason most of good results I've seen on this forum always came from people who used a dermaroller, not a pen.
I don’t think it’s detrimental to the impact of Microneedling but it makes the process more painful.

I think most people use Dermarollers as they’re cheap that’s why you see loads of good results, not many splash out on expensive Dermapens.

StacySixx

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible that you have an unconscious apprehension to this method. Let me explain: it may be that you are not applying the needed pressure against your scalp out of an unconscious fear of pain.if the needles are " bouncing " , as you described, it tells me your not applying enough pressure. Just go slow. Be patient with yourself. It will come to you.

StacySixx

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible that you have an unconscious apprehension to this method. Let me explain: it may be that you are not applying the needed pressure against your scalp out of an unconscious fear of pain.if the needles are " bouncing " , as you described, it tells me your not applying enough pressure. Just go slow. Be patient with yourself. It will come to you.
As far as dermarolling is concerned, dermapen is a " cleaner " less damaging approach. Both work well. This fact has been established both clinically and otherwise. Dermapen does not create the " v" shaped wounds that dermarollers create. Each wound with the dermapen is in and out. Due to the speed of the dermapen more micro hole can be created to allow more absorption of Minoxidil in this case as well as collagen production, and increase blood flow.

Lookaway

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean, but I do press the pen all the way to my scalp, most of the time too hard.

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As far as dermarolling is concerned, dermapen is a " cleaner " less damaging approach. Both work well. This fact has been established both clinically and otherwise. Dermapen does not create the " v" shaped wounds that dermarollers create. Each wound with the dermapen is in and out. Due to the speed of the dermapen more micro hole can be created to allow more absorption of Minoxidil in this case as well as collagen production, and increase blood flow.
"V" is a market scam. Where the f*** did you see that proven?? Skin is elastic it doesnt microtear in a v shape lmao. dermatologists use dermarolles all the time on the face

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
simple physics, too many needles, too low power on every single thrust per needle, thick skin. whats the lowest hz those pens have like 95? You really think those small motors in there have enough power on every single thrust to help12 needles puncture 1.5mm deep into human skin, ofcourse its just bouncing back up after its hit a certain layer of skin. Do 1.5mm on your cheeks, it probably wont even feel like its going in 0.2 mm.

Lookaway

My Regimen
Reaction score
simple physics, too many needles, too low power on every single thrust per needle, thick skin. whats the lowest hz those pens have like 95? You really think those small motors in there have enough power on every single thrust to help12 needles puncture 1.5mm deep into human skin, ofcourse its just bouncing back up after its hit a certain layer of skin. Do 1.5mm on your cheeks, it probably wont even feel like its going in 0.2 mm.
That makes sense, but then dermapen is a scam too?

Terem

My Regimen
Reaction score
But is it really ok to glide the dermapen? I thought that would cause bruising so instead I always tapped the pen on my scalp.