Dermal Sheath Contraction Powers Stem Cell Niche Relocation During Hair Cycle Regression

inmyhead

Reaction score

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wonder if androgens are the reason why this smooth muscle is over contracting.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
In the paper:

"Having adapted the original “contraction hypothesis”, the DS contracts throughout catagen at the club-strand bot-tleneck where, because of its angle, the centripetal constrict-ing force gets redirected to an upward pushing force on the shaft. This force is then relayed through the tether-like epi-thelial strand pulling the DP. At the end stage of regression, when the hair shaft has reached its final position and the DS trails below the DP as a hollow sleeve, it is possible that forces generated by space reduction of apoptosing cells then pull in the niche next to the stem cell reservoir before launching re-growth in the next cycle that regenerates the follicle for new hair shaft production."

... and:
"the more restricted freedom of move-ment of epithelial stem cells may limit their homing poten-tial. Here we discover a smooth muscle function to relocate a niche to its stem cell reservoir to add to the vast array of di-verse roles of smooth muscles throughout the body"

Nothing new if we take note, acording to my theory, with hardened sebum beneath scalp surrounding pilosebaceous unit.

BTW, in common baldness we need ask why this dermal sheath contractions only affect at certains scalp areas?

Last edited:

inmyhead

Reaction score
It seems we need to inhibit MLCK topically. Perhaps anyone was searching for it's inhibitors?