Dermal Needling - (derma Roller) Needle Size And Regimen

Vegeta's Hairline

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just received my very first Derma Roller.
It is a 1.0 mm MT Derma Roller.
After trying it out for the first time the other night (a Trial run) I realized that the needle size of 1.0 mm is a bit too short... I would actually recommend a 1.5 or greater length. But, 1.5 as the minimum.
IMG_0424.JPG

Regimen
Scalp Massaging: About once a day, about 1-2 hours (sometimes more).
Needling: Once a day

Last edited:

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought that 1.5mm was only recommended if you dermaroll once a week, possibly for wounding ?

From what I know most guys that dermaroll daily or almost daily usually use 0.5mm, maybe 1mm at most.

Vegeta's Hairline

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought that 1.5mm was only recommended if you dermaroll once a week, possibly for wounding ?

From what I know most guys that dermaroll daily or almost daily usually use 0.5mm, maybe 1mm at most.
You know what. I used it for a second time the other night, and I found that it wasn't that sharp at all. As a matter of fact, it's definitely not sharp enough. Maybe I have dragon-skin, but the needles on the 1mm MT Derma Roller are more akin to blades than needles. It feels like I'm needling with a serated steak knife...

Maybe the 1mm Roller I got is just a cheap Chinese piece of sh!t.

I'm going to have to purchase a new replacement for this MT. I hear that the Stainless Steel needles are sharper - opposed to the Titanium needles.

Yeah, you know, don't buy the MT, or the cheap ones. I think I'm going for a 2.0mm Stainless Steel, more expensive brand. I'll update with photos.

I read in a couple of forums that a 1.5mm was best used from ppl's experience. But, I thought I'd try the 1mm - that maybe it would be adequate. Definitely need longer than 1mm, I promise you.

Last edited:

Vegeta's Hairline

My Regimen
Reaction score
i have 2mm. Do you roll ir use it as a stamp?

How does the 2mm work for you? Are the needles Stainless Steel, or Titaninum?

I dont know what you mean by using it as a "Stamp"? I've rolled with it, I feel that I have to apply more pressure than should be/is necessisary just to see any noticeable redness.

I think the one I have is just a POS (piece of sh!t), and the needles are perhaps too short.

jamesrav2

Reaction score
if you don't think 1mm is doing anything, try it on the back of your hand. After a couple minutes going back and forth, your skin will turn red. I have a .5mm and I can cause redness on my hand using even that, and the needles have worn down as well (need a new one). I also have a 1.5mm that I use sparingly on the crown, after going a few minutes with the .5mm. Total time probably 5 minutes, I don't see how anyone can do this for 20 minutes like in the Indian study.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How does the 2mm work for you? Are the needles Stainless Steel, or Titaninum?

I dont know what you mean by using it as a "Stamp"? I've rolled with it, I feel that I have to apply more pressure than should be/is necessisary just to see any noticeable redness.

I think the one I have is just a POS (piece of sh!t), and the needles are perhaps too short.

Do you have any pictures, my bro ?

My holy hair is starting to go to the northern star in the sky, if you know what I mean.

Fullhead1day

Established Member
Reaction score
Stamping meaning pushing the roller straight down instead of rolling. I would recommend a dermastamp or derminator. Go 1.5 mm, and make your scalp a bloody mess each week.

Vegeta's Hairline

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures, my bro ?

My holy hair is starting to go to the northern star in the sky, if you know what I mean.
Don't really have a camera right now, not a good one anyway. I realized that some study has been put into the type of needles that are worst and best for a Dermaroller. You can't buy those cheap ones because they'll have blades instead of needles. This website explains it in great detail: http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/dermaroller-review/

Um, you don't really need to buy the Dermaroller that is advertised by the guy who wrote that review I just posted, you can get a ZGTS one from ebay (needles, not blades). The ZGTS one is hella cheaper to, just as effective as far as I can tell. But yea, apparently there are Dermarollers with blades instead of needles, so watch out and be careful.

The ZGTS is good, I got a 1.5mm and I immediately felt the difference compared to the bladed one I had previous bought. The blades do more damage apparently, and aren't as effective as the needles.

Vegeta's Hairline

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stamping meaning pushing the roller straight down instead of rolling. I would recommend a dermastamp or derminator. Go 1.5 mm, and make your scalp a bloody mess each week.

You know, I looked into what 'Stamping' was after you commented. Yeah, apparently it is much more effective than Rolling... Not the cheaper route, however. In time I will buy a Dermastamp, thanks for the data.

I've been looking into some other things that can help, and apparently IGF-1 is super effective in regrowing hair. Some guy was producing a way to deliver the IGF-1 via patch, but was murdered or something before he got it marketed. Go figures, he was only 27. But IGF-1 is widely known to be extremely effective in regrowing hair. It's expensive and illegal as sh!t though.

Vegeta's Hairline

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you don't think 1mm is doing anything, try it on the back of your hand. After a couple minutes going back and forth, your skin will turn red. I have a .5mm and I can cause redness on my hand using even that, and the needles have worn down as well (need a new one). I also have a 1.5mm that I use sparingly on the crown, after going a few minutes with the .5mm. Total time probably 5 minutes, I don't see how anyone can do this for 20 minutes like in the Indian study.
Apparently it was the roller I was using, it was no good. It had blades rather than needles, I since bought a new one (ZGTS) and it works much better, properly. I'm using a 1.5mm, on the temples - I don't have any crown balding.

Make sure your Dermaroller has needles, not little blades, the blades can cause damage and are no where near as effective as the Rollers with Needles. I can testify to the blades being b.s., and the needles being the only thing you should Dermaroll with, save for stamping.