Derma Rolling Advice/questions 7 Word

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am about to order a derma roller, any experienced guys recommend a certain one or where you bought it?

I plan on doing a 1.5mm every two weeks and a .5mm twice a week. I plan on rolling my crown too as it is thinning just as much as my scalp is.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am about to order a derma roller, any experienced guys recommend a certain one or where you bought it?

I plan on doing a 1.5mm every two weeks and a .5mm twice a week. I plan on rolling my crown too as it is thinning just as much as my scalp is.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks
Get a derma stamp or derma pen instead. The dermaroller was so harsh on my scalp. I ordered the derminator 2, but at $200.00, I understand that this is much more of an investment most want to make. However, it's amazing and so convenient.

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read the pens only have 12 needles compared to the rollers 540 needles. If doing my whole scalp wouldn't a pen take a considerably longer time when needling.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it would. However, it'll scrape up your head much less. It will be less painful and it will probably be more efficient since it is penetrating not digging so much.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read the pens only have 12 needles compared to the rollers 540 needles. If doing my whole scalp wouldn't a pen take a considerably longer time when needling.

You can get different cartridges, i just use the 36 pin one. I don't think it matters much, it's quite easy to cover a large area using a derma pen, no time at all really. I use the dr.pen ultima A6.

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can get different cartridges, i just use the 36 pin one. I don't think it matters much, it's quite easy to cover a large area using a derma pen, no time at all really. I use the dr.pen ultima A6.

How long have u been needling? Any results so far?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have u been needling? Any results so far?

needling for about 2 months or so, think i can see a small improvement. Right now im also taking dutasteride(2 months) and oral minoxidil(4 months) thinking of using topical minoxidil at night as well since the oral isn't doing much for my crown. Here is the last pic of my hair, slightly wet combed forward to show my crown https://imgur.com/QCTlwap i can see small hairs popping up in a previously near slick bald area.

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmmm derminator or dr.pen, don't know which one to choose if I'm going to invest 150+ in something that may not work. I'm already spending 70 bucks a month on finasteride which has tripled my shedding and killed my hair density.

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
needling for about 2 months or so, think i can see a small improvement. Right now im also taking dutasteride(2 months) and oral minoxidil(4 months) thinking of using topical minoxidil at night as well since the oral isn't doing much for my crown. Here is the last pic of my hair, slightly wet combed forward to show my crown https://imgur.com/QCTlwap i can see small hairs popping up in a previously near slick bald area.

Derelict does the dr.pen go hard enough that it produces blood and clear irritation of the scalp?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Derelict does the dr.pen go hard enough that it produces blood and clear irritation of the scalp?

Yes, it definitely wounds well, derminator 2 is probably the better needling device but it's not wireless, the dr.pen does what i want very well.

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmmm derminator or dr.pen, don't know which one to choose if I'm going to invest 150+ in something that may not work. I'm already spending 70 bucks a month on finasteride which has tripled my shedding and killed my hair density.
If you want a cheaper alternative you can just get a simple derma-roller until you can afford to invest in something more substantial. I'm using the Koi Beauty roller I found on Amazon. I had tried a derma-roller previously but wasn't a proper one - it had discs as opposed to real needles. Since using the Koi things are better. I definitely think I'm absorbing more minoxidil which is how I use it. cost about €15 including shipping. Where are you based? Could you order generic finasteride online from India maybe to cut costs? I ordered my last batch from there. Seems fine. Takes a couple of weeks to deliver. The prices are incomparable. I paid about €50 for 6 months supply from India as opposed to twice that from UK for slightly fewer tablets.

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you want a cheaper alternative you can just get a simple derma-roller until you can afford to invest in something more substantial. I'm using the Koi Beauty roller I found on Amazon. I had tried a derma-roller previously but wasn't a proper one - it had discs as opposed to real needles. Since using the Koi things are better. I definitely think I'm absorbing more minoxidil which is how I use it. cost about €15 including shipping. Where are you based? Could you order generic finasteride online from India maybe to cut costs? I ordered my last batch from there. Seems fine. Takes a couple of weeks to deliver. The prices are incomparable. I paid about €50 for 6 months supply from India as opposed to twice that from UK for slightly fewer tablets.

Money isn't an issue. It's just annoying to me to spend money on things that have been making my hair worse

jamesrav2

Reaction score
Money isn't an issue. It's just annoying to me to spend money on things that have been making my hair worse
if you've never read the original Indian report, you should look it over to get some reassurance of what a dermaroller can do. I do think their regimen (20 minutes worth - that's a LONG time, i get bored after about 3 or 4 minutes) is over-doing it, they never did say why they came up with the 20 minute time. The whole point is to increase absorption of minoxidil, and I can't see how it takes that long (20 mins) to do that.