Dercos??

G

Dercos

A recent development from the famous L’Oreal laboratories in France is Dercos, a trade name for a product that is available as a shampoo and in topical ampoules. Dercos contains a drug called Aminexil, which L’Oreal claim can reverse baldness.

Their researchers discovered that whether stress, genetics or hormonal changes are responsible for alopecia, the hair-loss is always accompanied by perifollicular fibrosis.

Perifollicular fibrosis is a condition that causes the collagen around the hair root to become rigid. Afterward, the collagen tightens and then pushes the root to the surface of the scalp causing premature hair-loss.

It is also possible that this same condition may also affect the appearance (and rapid disappearance) of new hair follicles as they can not be formed deep in the scalp (i.e. they have a shallow root).

L’Oreal’s development of Dercos (Aminexil) has been clinically shown to stop perifollicular fibrosis.

In a major yearlong study of 350 men and women, those who applied Dercos to their scalps for eight weeks had significantly more hair regrowth than those using a placebo did.

As a result, and perhaps not surprisingly, since being made available recently as "over-the-counter status" in France and Germany, Dercos is set to become a best seller for L’Oreal.

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Hm, this is actually pretty interesting.

I will always have my doubts when it comes to any new treatments, but L'Oreal isn't small business.

I'm interested to hear more.

G

wastingpenguins said:

I will always have my doubts when it comes to any new treatments, but L'Oreal isn't small business.

Yep, the only reason I bothered cut and pasting that was because it was L'Oreal.

Side Show Bob

Reaction score
Dercos has been around a long time. The only people who have reported any sucess with it are people who used it with a copper peptide topical.

I would contact the company for more info on that if you're thinking of using it.

P.S. Dercos has a strong perfume odor to it. You'll smell like a cheap wh*** if you use it.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued. Anyone else know about this?

DercosAmps.gif

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wastingpenguins said:

Not to comment on weather this product works or not but, just because L'Oreal are behind it does not make it any more reliable. Consider the example of anti wrinkle creams. None of them work, they are a total joke and anyone with thier head screwed on knows this. L'Oreal is a party to this joke. Facts prove things work not company names.

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
gonna_win said:
wastingpenguins said:

Not to comment on weather this product works or not but, just because L'Oreal are behind it does not make it any more reliable. Consider the example of anti wrinkle creams. None of them work, they are a total joke and anyone with thier head screwed on knows this. L'Oreal is a party to this joke. Facts prove things work not company names.

Yeah, I realize this, and honestly, I really doubt the product works well, if at all.

I was just pointing out that this isn't some crazy, home-brew treatment thought up by some no-name internet site. I've seen enough of those to last me a lifetime.

Bismarck

Reaction score
tynanW said:
Dercos

As a result, and perhaps not surprisingly, since being made available recently as "over-the-counter status" in France and Germany, Dercos is set to become a best seller for L’Oreal.

I've never heard of it before. Could anyone provide a link to that study ?

bis

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use the Dercos shampoo. I have no idea whether it does anything for hair loss, but it makes my hair look better than other shampoos. It does have a perfume scent, but it wears off quickly. Even my wife doesn't smell it after an hour or so.

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score
Bismarck ® said:
tynanW said:
Dercos

I've never heard of it before. Could anyone provide a link to that study ?

bis

Found this with a quick search http://www.keratin.com/ac/baldnesstreat ... e.shtml#02

They quote the following research;

Heidecker B, Scherrer-Hertrich B, Trueb RM. 2,4-diamino-pyrimidin-3-oxid (Aminexil) in der topischen behandlung der androgenetischen alopezie. H and G 1998; 73: 682-6.

Bismarck

Reaction score
Strange, Prof. Trueb is a reputable researcher in that field. The article you are referring to isn't available at PubMed and this obviously was only a small "study" (no placebo groups). So there is not really clinical evidence that the product works for male pattern baldness.

fred

Reaction score
I used Dercos Aminexil for a while but I discontinued it because I didn't like how it made my hair feels.

One positive note is that with that shampoo "hair breakage" is much less frequent since it renders the hair more "supple" than any other shampoo. I just do not like how my hair looks with it.

Antonio

Reaction score
Dercos Aminexil an 'experimental new treatment'?

It existed in Italian shops fifteen years ago.

It is not much effective for hair loss, in my opinion.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well its used to treat fibrosis if i'm not mistaken.

A cheap SOD like folligen would be a better cost-saving option IMO.

Zannie

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Hi guys….

Don’t mind me, I’m just an interloper from the sister site heralopecia.com. But, as many times as I’ve skulked over here for information, pilfering tad bits of advise, and amusing myself with the comedic foray you gents seem to maintain here; :roll: I just thought I’d leave you with a little something...

... NO It's not scary!!! :lol:

I conducted my own investigation of this Aminexil. I was very interested in it, but since research performed on this compound was limited to only a small "study" (no placebo groups) and there exists no valid clinical evidence that the product works, I had to rely on forums and discussion groups among people, just like you and me, who have tried it.

I, more or less, answered my own questions about the Dercap/Decros (Aminexil) product using some archived (2000-2003) forums from the Men’s:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums
http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_forums
http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/discus/index.html

What I gathered is that this treatment has been denoted as a “scamâ€, a “rip-offâ€, scientifically unsound, theoretically unfounded, expensive, disappointing, smelly, and the only reference made to it being effective came after a seemingly “spam-type†set up question from an anonymous source who had NO prior history of interacting on the forum and wouldn’t even “identify†himself by creating a profile! (It seems that if you had GREAT results with something, you’d want to BRAG about it less incognito!!!)

Scenario was as follows: (Note, I am in no way responsible for bad grammar or spelling errors in the following quotes) :roll:

Tuesday January 15, 2002 11:38 AM I have tried them all propecia, rogaine etc but nothing seemed that effective. A friend, a hairdresser, gave me a load of L'Oreal Aminexil- just wondered if this actually worked for anyone. Appreciate any answers

Saturday January 19, 2002 6:08 AM Yes, it's brilliant. I tried everything before that, with little if any re-growth. This product not only completely halted my loss, but it has grown back. My hair is thick again. They claim about 8% increase, mine is more like 40%. IT ROCKS!

Saturday January 19, 2002 1:20 PM Hey anonymous who used it, can you describe your regimine and everything? How come I've heard so little about Aminexil if it is this great? Thanks.

Monday July 29, 2002 9:48 PM Please tell me exactly what your condition was and how much this Aminexil actually helped. I've been diagnosed with Diabetes II and am rapidly losing hair! Thanks

At this point, during the course of over six months, nobody EVER hears from anonomous again... a registered user finally speaks up...

Wednesday July 31, 2002 5:48 AM Anonymous User, It´s difficult to accept what you say about the 40% increase when you have not posted here before. I understand that everyone must start somewhere but you have not even registered, and to make those claims.....well I don´t know. I am using this product and think it may work for some, but I will be cautious about what I say.

Wednesday July 31, 2002 5:49 AM also, a question from an Anonymous User and a reply by another..............strange, no ?

Thursday August 01, 2002 10:22 PM Yeah, I agree. Sounds like we're getting hit with a little spamola there

BUT… the ultimate news from the registered users was a BIG NAY… as follows:

Hi I live in France and tried Aminexil during about 6 months with no results at all on a receding hairline. It didn't even slowed my hairloss what minoxidil 2% did. Plus 6ml every application is way too much :it goes everywhere on your face. And it costs much more money than simple 5% minoxidil. So here is my own experience...make your own mind.

I tried it, and it did nothing. If 8% is their claim to fame, that should have been a clue to stay clear. It smells too.

I tries it when it hit the market 98/99 . didnt do a damm thing. Thank god i then started propecia / minoxidil/ nizoral.

It was only effective in 8 % of those tested. Their charts are very vaque and I threw most of it in the trash as it appeared to do more harm than good. I put it on my snake oil list.

IN FACT!!!! The forum topic on http://www.hairsite.com/female/dissgroup.htm has been COMPLETELY retired as of a few years ago!

So… if this is of ANY help to ANY of you who have wondered about this product, such as I have, there was the BIG and BEEFY!

Cheers!~

Zannie

Reaction score
Oh....

One last thing I'd like to leave you with!

READ THIS!!

http://androgenetic-alopecia.com/ac/bal ... suse.shtml

Aminexil is available as a component of a product called Dercap or Dercos (same thing). Aminexil is the result of ten years of research by L'Oréal's laboratories and first came on the market on June 20, 1996. Although L'Oréal promotes and sells the product widely in Europe, there is limited independent information about it except for a small scientific research journal article in German.

The product contains the active ingredient 2,4-diamino-pyrimidin-3-oxid also called 2,4-diaminopyrimidine (2,4-DPO). This product acts on an enzyme called lysylhydroxylase that is important in the formation of collagen. 2,4-DPO effectively blocks collagen production.

There are two versions of the commercial product available in Europe, one for men and one for women. The only difference in formulation is that the version for women contains vitamin B6.

L'Oréal, the manufacturer of Aminexil used in Dercap, have made the claim that pattern baldness is caused, at least in part, by the build up of collagen around hair follicles. They suggest the collagen build up literally chokes the hair follicle by shutting off the blood supply and reducing the total size of the follicle.

However, there are very few dermatologists who would agree with this hypothesis. L'Oréal has never provided any evidence that collagen build up causes hair loss. All hair follicles are contained within a collagen lattice. It helps provide support to the hair follicle structure. There is no indication that the collagen around the hair follicle becomes significantly thicker during the development of pattern baldness. Most dermatologists would suggest that any thickening of the collagen component is a symptom of pattern baldness rather than the cause of it.

A published study does circumstantially suggest Dercap may help treat pattern baldness. An open trial involved 40 men with pattern baldness in stages III to V on the Norwood scale. They each applied a 1.5% solution of 2,4-DPO to their scalps once per day. Of 33 men who completed the study, 29 were evaluated for hair growth using a phototrichogram technique (multiple close up photographs of hair taken at different times to count the number of follicles with hair growing from them). By 12 weeks after starting treatment the number of hair follicles in anagen with hair growth had increased by an average of 8.1%.

However, this small study was not a randomized double blind, placebo controlled study. This reduces the significance of the results. It is not possible to compare the positive result with any placebo users to see what their response might have been. This is very important as everyone has natural increases in hair production during summer and winter and reduced activity in spring and fall. These changes in growth rates ideally need to be taken into account in any study on hair growth treatments. Because the study was not blind there as also the question of whether the results may be biased by the expectations of the investigators.

Tschau bis bald - Zanne!

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Another thing, don't know if you touched on it because I didn't read the entire article, is that the Aminexil molecule is very very similar to the Minoxidil molecule and may work the same way, despite what L'Oréal says.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Excellent detective work, Zannie.