Depression Related To Finasteride Use?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
you're drastically altering your hormones, hormones that are involved in many other processes besides hair loss.. so yes, definitely. I had horrible mood swings on finasteride.

Tottenham

Established Member
Reaction score
you're drastically altering your hormones, hormones that are involved in many other processes besides hair loss.. so yes, definitely. I had horrible mood swings on finasteride.

I'm no stranger to periods of depression but this has been the lowest and darkest i've felt in my life, going by what you said I assume finasteride can 'amplify' these periods?

Had? No more finasteride?

dunno

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im depressed af, could be from finasteride, could be from losing hair.

g.i joey

Reaction score
If you're generally a depressive person maybe.. I'm almost 4 months in n don't feel depressed unless when my hair looks like sh*t lol

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm no stranger to periods of depression but this has been the lowest and darkest i've felt in my life, going by what you said I assume finasteride can 'amplify' these periods?

Had? No more finasteride?

nah... finasteride made me lost hair like a chemo patient, no joke. Like 400 hairs a day, the entire year I was on it. From the start to finish, I went from comb-able hair with decent density to a see through rats nests.

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think finasteride plays a role in altered moods but I feel it's only because of lack of results from the treatments which then causes the depression .. Have you seen results ? Do you feel happy with your current hair ?

Ashkan63

Reaction score
finasteride does not cause depression but if you already have it ,finasteride triggers it for sure

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@buckthorn arent you on dutasteride?

yeah, I am taking .5mg - 1mg once a week, for the past three weeks or so... I want to see if it has ANY effect on my scalp inflammation. If my scalp continues to feel like this or gets worst, I will drop it like a bag of rocks. we will see. I am losing about 80-100 thick hairs a day easy.. for someone with at best 30% density, that equals about 300-400 hairs a day. It's just f*cked up.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Proven, no, but finasteride does inhibit Allopregnanolone, which is thought to possibly play a role in mediating depression and anxiety.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...of_Allopregnanolone_in_Depression_and_Anxiety

Yeah its really this kind of thing that makes me most hesitant to try finasteride not the sexual sides. I mean they will never figure out how all this works or be able to fix any of this if finasteride broke something and cause you bad effects. There are so many complicated relationships the so called experts simply guess and slowly piece together little parts of the puzzle. We will all be dead by the time they fully understand it. Which makes me hesitant to risk breaking it for hair