depressed

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
well, ive been on propecia and minoxidil for more than 5 months now, and things are worse than ever, i was pretty much a norwood 1 when i started them (preventative measure) and my hair is getting me deprssed, im going to be a norwood 2 soon at this rate and i dont know what to do, thought taking the propecia would maintain my hair but i dont think it will, im only 19, people say u get results after 6 months, but im really doubtfull about that, especially now, im tired of feeling like im going to throw up everytime i see my hair get worse, i dont even have a strong history of male pattern baldness in the family, my dad, his dad, his brothers, my half brothers were all basically Norwood 2's mid thirties, forties, and on my mothers side, my mums brothers all had hair, one was a Norwood 1 at 50, the only person with hairloss was my grandfather on that side who was thinning, and was a norwood 2 or 3 mid thirties and it got worse after that. im sick of this, its effecting my life so much, just a rant.

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
the effectiveness of treatments is pretty much directly proportional to how aggro your male pattern baldness is.

NW1 -> NW2 is so aggressive that you could have a suitcase full of treatments and you'd probably only slightly delay it, if anything.

i know it sucks, but keep on the traetments if it makes you feel better, and given your family history I highly doubt you're going to NW3+ anytime soon.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
WhatYouEgg said:
the effectiveness of treatments is pretty much directly proportional to how aggro your male pattern baldness is.

NW1 -> NW2 is so aggressive that you could have a suitcase full of treatments and you'd probably only slightly delay it, if anything.

i know it sucks, but keep on the traetments if it makes you feel better, and given your family history I highly doubt you're going to NW3+ anytime soon.

hi, thanks for the reply, ur post's made me feel much better, what do u mean about Norwood 1 and norwood 2 being aggresive? i didnt really understand that

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It means that it is almost never possible to retain or regrow a NW1 hairline. It happens but it is very rare. Most of the success stories involve people regrowing their hair in a NW2 pattern - very rarely do the temples grow back even with aggressive treatment.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
Thickandthin said:
It means that it is almost never possible to retain or regrow a NW1 hairline. It happens but it is very rare. Most of the success stories involve people regrowing their hair in a NW2 pattern - very rarely do the temples grow back even with aggressive treatment.

not even retain a Norwood 1 hairline? i got on so many treatments and still seem to be going to a nw2, does this apply to most people, even non balding people? my problem is not my temples, but my temple points, ive kept my temples.

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
NW2 happens to almost all caucasian men, and even most caucasian women in their 40s and up. my last gf had worse temples than I did and she was 23, lol

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
i know, but around what age does it happen? late teens? early 20's? a mature hairline is more or less still balding.

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
if you mean "balding", strictly speaking, in that it's an effect of DHT miniaturizing hair, then yes, it is.

if you mean "balding" in that how you will be viewed by the world at large, then no, it is not.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
try oral anti-androgens and everything will be OK... :)

spironolactone or yasmin!! There are lots of women that responded well to them

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
WhatYouEgg said:
if you mean "balding", strictly speaking, in that it's an effect of DHT miniaturizing hair, then yes, it is.

if you mean "balding" in that how you will be viewed by the world at large, then no, it is not.

what age does it happen at? im only 19, isnt that too early for a "mature hairline?" as soon as i saw a small change in my hairline i jumped on propecia, rogain, revivogen and nizoral, and i still see my hairline changing causing me to freak out, even my grandfather on my mothers side who has the worst hairloss in my family who was a norwood 2 or 3 mid thirties had a full head of hair at 20. it sucks cause no one else in both sides of my family went bald at 40 or 50 and im freaking out.

cuebald

Reaction score
Posts are pretty worthless without pics IMO. Only then can we guess at whether you're balding or just "maturing".

I don't know of anyone who's gotten on finasteride early enough to stop a mature hairline from developing - I don't even think anyone has done it.

If your family all have good hair, what makes you think you will go bald? It isn't making much sense to me. :dunno:

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
cuebald said:
Posts are pretty worthless without pics IMO. Only then can we guess at whether you're balding or just "maturing".

I don't know of anyone who's gotten on finasteride early enough to stop a mature hairline from developing - I don't even think anyone has done it.

If your family all have good hair, what makes you think you will go bald? It isn't making much sense to me. :dunno:

hi cuebald, when did i say my family have good hair? my dad, his dad, his brothers, my half brothers, my cousin (only have one really, whose 30) were all Norwood 2's mid thrities, fourties, on my mums side, her 3 brothers were norwood 2's, except for one who was Norwood 1 at around 50, and my cousins on that side have decent hair at 30's, but my grandfather on that side was diffuse thinning i think, and although he was a norwood 2 or 3 mid thirties he lost hair on top when he was 50, so my family history aint really good to be honest.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys. btw, my grandfather on my mothers side was unfortunatly diabetic, which explains why he had thinning hair.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
Check out the thread about Yasmin on HLH...

this is my post on HLH
I know that there are hair-friendly pills out there spironolactone and Yasmin. Actually, Yasmin and spironolactone are sometimes prescribed together to combat hair loss in women. The reason why women lose hair after coming off of BirthControl pills (and why they lose it after having a baby) is because their estrogen levels fall and that causes the hair to fall out.

I was seriously thinking about adding Yasmin to my regimen. Sure, in the near future..
Yamin is a highly rated anti-androgen on Women hair loss forums. Some women managed to regrow most of their hair taking yasmin(a birth control pill) while taking other anti-androgens as well. If I recall correctly I am sure that a great deal of their success has to do with the estrogen in Yamin as well its antiandrogenetic effects.

I hope this helps :)