Dependency on hair loss treatments

HomerJ

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has found that once they start using a hair loss mediaction, that they become so dependent on it, that if they quit, their hair loss is much worse afterwards.

I ask because I read some posts that seem to be like this, especially for minoxidil. I tried Propecia for 9 months and felt that my hair loss was progressing at either the same rate or worse. However, once I quit Propecia, it felt like my hair loss really sped up.

Using indexing:
Say my rate of hair loss prior to using Propecia was 100.
While on Propecia, I estimated my rate of hairloss between 100-125
Since quitting Propecia, it feels like my rate of hairloss is now 150

Anyone feel the same about minoxidil or Propecia? Its like once they get you, you can't get off, no matter what happens...

Mikey

Established Member
Reaction score
well the lucky thing for me is that I have a twin brother to compare myself to. He has recently shaved his head and is constantly wearing a hat 24/7. We recently went on holiday to Florida and he never took the thing off, not once. So I guess hairloss is affecting him pretty bad, just like me.

Like I say, I do have something to compare myself to, and I do feel my hair is better than his, so I won't be getting off my treatments any time soon.

The thing about hairloss treatments with people who don't have a comparisson is that is does take ahold of you. Theres always this factor of, well my hair hasn't got any better, but it could be preventing things from getting worse. You never know, and so are hooked upon it as a precausionary thing even though your hair may be at the same place even if you were taking no treatments.

I suppose the only way to be sure if your treatments are effective is to record your journy properly. Go to a dermatoligist and get him to check for minaturisation, and if he diagnoses you with male pattern baldness you are in a much better position to judge whether or not treatments are working for you a year down the line. Although I must states Ive done the exact opposite and decided to treat my hairloss on my own without telling anyone. :roll: