Denied Proscar

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yea and it's the same thing I said originally as the only way it gets covered is for prostate treatment. If it says hair loss on the script it will be denied.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
HT55 said:
If it says hair loss on the script it will be denied.

There is a misconception that all insurers deny propecia or anything cosmetic. Most do, but the very good ones do not.

It's not the insurer per say as it's the plan your company pays for. My insurance is better than most as it cost me $20 to see a dr and any test (including blood work) is included in that $20 bucks but they don't cover Propecia.

I also don't pay for my insurance at work and could have unlimted kids on my policy at no extra charge. I don't have kids but I work with people who have 6 kids and they don't pay a dime more than I do which is zilch.

Cassin

Reaction score
HT55 said:
Cassin said:
HT55 said:
If it says hair loss on the script it will be denied.

There is a misconception that all insurers deny propecia or anything cosmetic. Most do, but the very good ones do not.

It's not the insurer per say as it's the plan your company pays for. My insurance is better than most as it cost me $20 to see a dr and any test (including blood work) is included in that $20 bucks but they don't cover Propecia.

I also don't pay for my insurance at work and could have unlimted kids on my policy at no extra charge. I don't have kids but I work with people who have 6 kids and they don't pay a dime more than I do which is zilch.

I can get on a plan at my job that covers it but I don't want to pay that much a month.

RonPaulRepublican

Reaction score
Yes if you can go to another doctor that'd be the best thing to do. If you're uncomfortable you don't HAVE to say "I want to be prescribed proscar because it's cheaper than propecia" nor do you have to tell them you're going to see another doctor as they won't know you saw a doctor originally that turned you down.

Go to the new doctor and say you have some concerns about hairloss, tell them whether or not if it runs in your family, ask if he/she thinks it could be a thyroid issue. Then say you've been doing some research on the internet and you plan on doing the "Big 3" (you can explain if he asks, might as well educate a doctor since most are clueless on this stuff) and ask if he can prescribe the 5mg finasteride pill which will help reduce costs and you will cut it 1/4ths or 1/8ths or whatever. Don't say proscar since you can get the generic for $72, but generic is only available in the 5mg pill.

It was a major pain to get my doctor to prescribe this only because she is not that competent and couldn't understand so I had to be very descriptive about this. She didn't mention anything about fraud but I told her I wasn't going to claim it on insurance but rather just pay the retail price at the pharmacy.

I was actually just going to buy the generic Indian made stuff (Finast or Fincar) from www.hairpharmacy.com, as I was using the generic 1mg pill for about 6 months prior, but Cassin convinced me to just try to get it from the doctor here. Hairpharmacy is part of UP and I never had a problem with them nor heard of any, and Dr. Reddies and Cipla are reputable pharmaceutical companies in India and never heard of an incident of a fake generic finasteride (fake Propecia a different story due to the high markup). I did a TON of research on this before buying from an overseas, no-script requiring, online pharmacy to buy some Indian made pharmaceuticals to the point where I'd feel comfortable doing so.

Either way you should be able to get some finasteride to reduce your DHT and help your hair grow! :)

Cassin

Reaction score
RonPaulRepublican said:
I was actually just going to buy the generic Indian made stuff (Finast or Fincar) from http://www.hairpharmacy.com, as I was using the generic 1mg pill for about 6 months prior, but Cassin convinced me to just try to get it from the doctor here. Hairpharmacy is part of UP and I never had a problem with them nor heard of any, and Dr. Reddies and Cipla are reputable pharmaceutical companies in India and never heard of an incident of a fake generic finasteride (fake Propecia a different story due to the high markup). I did a TON of research on this before buying from an overseas, no-script requiring, online pharmacy to buy some Indian made pharmaceuticals to the point where I'd feel comfortable doing so.

Just so we're clear, I am sure what you meant to say I tried to convince you to get a RX from your local doctor right? I have never ever encouraged someone to get a order online.

RonPaulRepublican

Reaction score
Cassin said:
RonPaulRepublican said:
I was actually just going to buy the generic Indian made stuff (Finast or Fincar) from http://www.hairpharmacy.com, as I was using the generic 1mg pill for about 6 months prior, but Cassin convinced me to just try to get it from the doctor here. Hairpharmacy is part of UP and I never had a problem with them nor heard of any, and Dr. Reddies and Cipla are reputable pharmaceutical companies in India and never heard of an incident of a fake generic finasteride (fake Propecia a different story due to the high markup). I did a TON of research on this before buying from an overseas, no-script requiring, online pharmacy to buy some Indian made pharmaceuticals to the point where I'd feel comfortable doing so.

Just so we're clear, I am sure what you meant to say I tried to convince you to get a RX from your local doctor right? I have never ever encouraged someone to get a order online.

Yes, that is correct.

CCS

Reaction score
www.propecia.com[/url] and read about the free year trial. You could always tell them it did not work for you. Not sure what the terms are. That gives you a year to find another source. Or if you get a good job by then, and have good hair results, you can repay Merk by buying propecia.

I've been using knock off stuff a long time, but will get propecia soon to help Merk out. I'm upset I had to get to NW4 and pay for hair transplant, and I don't want to pay $60 for a prescription. But I don't know how much longer the Indian stuff will be reliable. So I'll probably switch in a few months when my supply runs out.

Jayster

Reaction score
So I tried another Doctor and got basically the same answer. He was not comfortable prescribing me 1 mg finasteride, let alone 5. Said I was too young and didnt have a long term plan (im 23). Told me to go to a hair loss clinic. I think im giving up on Doctor's around here, they seem to be clueless.

Jayster

Reaction score
RonPaulRepublican said:
Yes if you can go to another doctor that'd be the best thing to do. If you're uncomfortable you don't HAVE to say "I want to be prescribed proscar because it's cheaper than propecia" nor do you have to tell them you're going to see another doctor as they won't know you saw a doctor originally that turned you down.

Go to the new doctor and say you have some concerns about hairloss, tell them whether or not if it runs in your family, ask if he/she thinks it could be a thyroid issue. Then say you've been doing some research on the internet and you plan on doing the "Big 3" (you can explain if he asks, might as well educate a doctor since most are clueless on this stuff) and ask if he can prescribe the 5mg finasteride pill which will help reduce costs and you will cut it 1/4ths or 1/8ths or whatever. Don't say proscar since you can get the generic for $72, but generic is only available in the 5mg pill.

It was a major pain to get my doctor to prescribe this only because she is not that competent and couldn't understand so I had to be very descriptive about this. She didn't mention anything about fraud but I told her I wasn't going to claim it on insurance but rather just pay the retail price at the pharmacy.

Either way you should be able to get some finasteride to reduce your DHT and help your hair grow! :)
And you find the generic works just as well? What do you mean by "big 3"?

Jayster

Reaction score
CCS said:
Not a rip off if it saves your hair. You can get a free year trial, if you think you will have the money in a year. But yeah, it is expensive. Definitely get knock off stuff online if you can't afford it, or have another Doctor get your proscar. Go to http://www.propecia.com and read about the free year trial. You could always tell them it did not work for you. Not sure what the terms are. That gives you a year to find another source. Or if you get a good job by then, and have good hair results, you can repay Merk by buying propecia.

I've been using knock off stuff a long time, but will get propecia soon to help Merk out. I'm upset I had to get to NW4 and pay for hair transplant, and I don't want to pay $60 for a prescription. But I don't know how much longer the Indian stuff will be reliable. So I'll probably switch in a few months when my supply runs out.

[
Merk, NW4? Im probably just being a spaz. Also, I only see a 90 day money back offer, nothing about a free year.

RonPaulRepublican

Reaction score
Jayster said:
And you find the generic works just as well? What do you mean by "big 3"?

It's hard to guesstimate without measuring DHT levels and/or the size of hair to see if more terminals have re-sprouted, but I KNOW I had no side effects with 0.5mg generic Indian and also had no side effects when I went up to 0.625mg generic prescription prosar. I was diffuse thinning and my hair has thickened up noticeably but for all I know it could be from the foam/Spectral DNC that I use, and even the Revita.

"Big 3" is a regimen that includes finasteride, minoxidil, and a ketoconazole base shampoo like Nizoral or Revita.

Jayster

Reaction score
What do you guys think of Fincar (generic proscar)? Im considering buying some from inhouse pharmacy.

Anthony83

Established Member
Reaction score
Jayster said:
What do you guys think of Fincar (generic proscar)? Im considering buying some from inhouse pharmacy.

this is what i am been using for 8 months or so. it seems to be maintaining my hair just fine. i believe i ordered it from United Pharmacies. $100 and you are good for at least a year.