Deep breathe before the plunge and final questions.

TheOliviaTremorControl

Established Member
Reaction score
Sooo boys.

I'm thinking about taking the plunge and adding the final step of the Big 3 to my hair regimen.

I'm already on finasteride and T/Gel (Should I replace this with Nizoral?)

Anyway, I'd like if somebody could clear some things up about minoxidil for me.

1) From what I've gathered, Minoxodil is only effective for as little as two years for some people.
Also, the minoxidil-dependant hairs become unresponsive to anything else (except maybe higher doses of minoxidil).

2) How long is the average shed on Minoxodil?

3) Are two doses a day required? Would one suffice?

4) Application process for Foam/Original formula.

How does it work?

Thank you.

The Gardener

Reaction score
:D This is one of those questions that I wish I could just explain verbally!... but here goes...

1) Assuming that you are a "responder" to it (most are), minoxidil is effective for as long as you continue to take it. Now, minoxidil offers its best effects in terms of achieving regrowth in the first 2-3 years you use it, but after that, most of the hairs that can potentially be regrown are doing so, and chances for further regrowth are slim. Even if you reach the point where all hairs that minoxidil could potentially regrow are beginning regrowth after 2-3 years, minoxidil continues to keep hairs in growth phase longer than they would be without it... and as such, it will continue to maintain a haircount that is greater than that if you never used it at all.

2) My minoxidil shed lasted quite a while, roughly from months 2-4. However, it never had any cosmetic impact on my hair. All it did was make me doubtful it was doing anything for me for the first four months, but after that, I started seeing some changes that made me a very happy man.

3) Yes, if you are going to take minoxidil, unfortunately you really need to get in two apps a day. It is a pain in the ***, but you gotta pay to play

4) I prefer the liquid. In the evenings I use standard Rogaine. Dropper in one hand, comb and a wadded up tissue in the other, I make several parts in my hair, and dribble the minoxidil into the part as if I were seeding a row of crops with fertilizer. In the morning I use the Cassin technique, I use a low PPG minoxidil that dries quickly... I first dry and style my hair, giving it a light dusting of hair spray. Then, I take my minoxidil dropper, take a draw of the amber nectar, and then WIPE THE SIDES OF THE DROPPER to prevent residue from getting into my actual hair. I then use the dropper to poke a hole through the outer layer of styled hair until it hits scalp... I then release a droplet, and continue "dotting" my affected area in this manner until I am happy with the coverage.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to what Gardener just said, I will add my own two cents' worth:

TheOliviaTremorControl said:
1) From what I've gathered, Minoxodil is only effective for as little as two years for some people.

It depends on exactly what you mean by "effective". I believe the best available scientific evidence shows that all minoxidil does is provide an offset of growth to what you already have. What that means is that it stimulates a little extra growth without actually interfering with the fundamental balding process. All it really does is buy you some more time.

TheOliviaTremorControl said:
Also, the minoxidil-dependant hairs become unresponsive to anything else (except maybe higher doses of minoxidil).

I don't know of any scientific evidence to support that claim.