Decided to quit dutasteride, any alternative?

con1000

Reaction score
long story short... trying to have a baby with my wife, had sperm motility results and they were pretty bad, thought i had to quit dutasteride, that was about a year ago.

sperm motility results are improving with treatment, obviously i don't feel like i can take dutasteride again... wouldn't forgive myself if something i was taking stopped us having kids...

just checking in to see if there are any alternatives.. im still applying mino... but is there other things to add that wont impact sperm in any possible way?

im thinking i am at the surgery stage soon, its getting pretty bad...

photos attached, i used a marker to emphasise where i am at...

IMG_20200416_104803.jpg

IMG_20200416_104738.jpg
IMG_20200416_104740.jpg

IMG_20200416_104750.jpg

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical dutasteride once a week or once every two weeks apparently has little effect on serum dht levels and affects scalp dht more. Could be useful for you to minimize sides

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical dutasteride once a week or once every two weeks apparently has little effect on serum dht levels and affects scalp dht more. Could be useful for you to minimize sides
oops, forgot about that, topical duta is definitely an alternative.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Never ever touch dutasteride topically or orally if you are planning on having kids soon

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
After that yeah

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
oops, forgot about that, topical duta is definitely an alternative.
Topical dutasteride is very unsafe to use if your wife is pregnant or if you are trying to conceive. If your head touches something, some of the dutasteride will get transferred. It will get on your pillow, sofa cushions, etc. And if your wife touches your hair, it will be on her hands. I would not risk it.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical dutasteride is very unsafe to use if your wife is pregnant or if you are trying to conceive. If your head touches something, some of the dutasteride will get transferred. It will get on your pillow, sofa cushions, etc. And if your wife touches your hair, it will be on her hands. I would not risk it.
Ah you’re right, I haven’t considered its toxic effects on the wife. Probably best to just put off any androgen affecting medication for now

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah you’re right, I haven’t considered its toxic effects on the wife. Probably best to just put off any androgen affecting medication for now
I myself have used oral dutasteride continuously before, during, and after having two children with no problems. There is some evidence that oral antiandrogens can mildly negatively affect some men's fertility, though clearly that was not a problem in my case.

Oral dutasteride should not pose much of a risk to a pregnant woman or her unborn child, because the amount of the drug that is present in a man's semen is extremely small. In fact, the amount of dutasteride in semen that is available for vaginal absorption is estimated to be less than 100 times the concentrations that produces abnormalities in the genitalia of male offspring in animal studies.

If a pregnant woman were to accidentally ingest dutasteride orally, however, that would pose a major risk to her unborn child. Skin contact with dutasteride capsules would also pose a risk. So it is very important that a pregnant woman is never in physical contact with any dutasteride capsules. As I mentioned, topical dutasteride is completely unsafe to use around pregnant women.

Chill dude

Established Member
Reaction score
long story short... trying to have a baby with my wife, had sperm motility results and they were pretty bad, thought i had to quit dutasteride, that was about a year ago.

sperm motility results are improving with treatment, obviously i don't feel like i can take dutasteride again... wouldn't forgive myself if something i was taking stopped us having kids...

just checking in to see if there are any alternatives.. im still applying mino... but is there other things to add that wont impact sperm in any possible way?

im thinking i am at the surgery stage soon, its getting pretty bad...

photos attached, i used a marker to emphasise where i am at...

View attachment 151829
View attachment 151827View attachment 151828

View attachment 151826
What did Dutasteride do for you? You are balding pretty bad

jazz1

Reaction score
I was advised by a medical professional that one should stop Finasteride 7 days before trying to conceive. I agree on the above about Topical Dutasteride as the compo pharmacy I use also sells Topical Dutasteride and Finasterid, they mentioned to avoid when trying to conceive.

con1000

Reaction score
What did Dutasteride do for you? You are balding pretty bad
i think it helped with maintenance for sure, im 34 now and i was noticeably receeding at 22, my brother and father were both bald in their early 20s so i think i have done pretty well to get to 34 with a reasonable amount of hair..

my wedding was last year and it looked ok (pic attached).. i am sure i would be well gone now if it wasnt for dutasteride/finasteride and mino...

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 229

thinincrown

Established Member
Reaction score
You might be sensitive to scalp testosterone which gets jacked up with dutasteride. I had to go on finasteride and
RU to stop the recession I was getting on dutasteride