Dealing With Two Systems At A Time. Advice Needed!

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I didn't post in the forum. Well, it's been around 2 months. I've have had my first system installed exactly 3 months and 1 week from now. I've had some ups and downs during my journey but it was worth it, I keep learning.
It's time to change my old system, I didn't expect it to last that long because I made some errors along the way, but against all odds, I've exceeded the 3 months limit I've set as an objective.
Today, I received my 2 stock hair pieces and I've already had an appointment at a salon tomorrow for a cut in and an install.

I hate the fact to have only one system, sh*t can happen and a lot of "what if" is running through my mind and I don't like the fact to spend an hour or two replacing my system once a week with nothing on my head. So, I decided to order 2 hair pieces this time and alternate between the two. My objective is to keep them for a total of 10 months.

My questions:
How do you deal with such a situation? I've read that many of you have at least 2 systems at a time.
Do you keep your unused system in a ziplock bag or attached to a styrofoam head?
Do you daily apply a leave-in conditioner to the system that is not in use?
If the salon charge 100$ to cut the lace, install the piece and do the haircut, what would you accept as an extra $ for them to cut and hairstyle the second piece?
I'm sure that I've not thought of all scenarios if you have any other advice pertaining to this situation, it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Last edited:

lace

Reaction score
1. I have 5 hair pieces. All functional. Typically I rotate 2 pieces at a time.
2. Never used a ziplock. I keep 4 pieces attached to a styrofoam head with a plastic bag placed over the head.
3. No leave in conditioner used. Use a leave in conditioner if you prefer.
4. I do my own cuts. No salon involved. If I used a salon I would ask about a discount on the second piece. No way to know their response. I would probably be happy with a 25% discount. Keep this in mind.....if you are very happy with the service then you may want to pass on the discount. The quality of the cut and the service is more important than saving a few $$.

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, I have 2 systems in rotation at any one time too. I also try to keep my ordering up to date, so as soon as new systems are cut in I am thinking of ordering replacements. I also have a few retired but still wearable pieces, which I could fall back on in an emergency.

Answering your questions:

Do you keep your unused system in a ziplock bag or attached to a styrofoam head?

My second system which is in rotation I keep on a polystyrene half-head shape that one of my earlier hairpieces came with, in a lockable box in the bathroom, along with my glues and tape. The retired pieces and the ones that are not cut in yet are just in a plastic bag at the bottom of my underwear drawer.

Do you daily apply a leave-in conditioner to the system that is not in use?

No.

If the salon charge 100$ to cut the lace, install the piece and do the haircut, what would you accept as an extra $ for them to cut and hairstyle the second piece?

I'm afraid I don't get any discount, but that is probably just Japan. It's not the done thing here.

ancucdi

My Regimen
Reaction score
hi, sorry for my newbie's question: how long can a spare system can be stored unused?

lace

Reaction score
How long are you planning to store the piece? If you are thinking a few months or even a couple years you will not experience a problem if it is lace. Skin, I do not know.

With respect to lace pieces, it is possible to experience shrinkage after several years....perhaps 4-5 years. I doubt that you will find a discussion of shrinkage on any forum. Furthermore I suspect most lace wearers would tell you that shrinkage does not happen. But it can and does.

I ventilate and repair my pieces. Thus it is common for me to keep a piece for over 5 years. I first noticed this shrinkage about 5 years ago. One of my pieces had lost 1/2" of length, front to back. No problem. I added a new front (basically a partial).

On another now defunct forum Hersute, now known as Stephen (UK) posted an inquiry about shrinkage. Some of his old pieces that he stored had shrunk. No one on the forum indicated a similar experience....except me.

Most wearers will not observe shrinkage because they likely do not keep pieces that long.

ancucdi

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long are you planning to store the piece? If you are thinking a few months or even a couple years you will not experience a problem if it is lace. Skin, I do not know.

With respect to lace pieces, it is possible to experience shrinkage after several years....perhaps 4-5 years. I doubt that you will find a discussion of shrinkage on any forum. Furthermore I suspect most lace wearers would tell you that shrinkage does not happen. But it can and does.

I ventilate and repair my pieces. Thus it is common for me to keep a piece for over 5 years. I first noticed this shrinkage about 5 years ago. One of my pieces had lost 1/2" of length, front to back. No problem. I added a new front (basically a partial).

On another now defunct forum Hersute, now known as Stephen (UK) posted an inquiry about shrinkage. Some of his old pieces that he stored had shrunk. No one on the forum indicated a similar experience....except me.

Most wearers will not observe shrinkage because they likely do not keep pieces that long.
thanks Lace for your reply, yeah i plan to store maybe 3 months just to back up . im gonna order from HAIRPIECES WAREHOUSE, but they dont sell glue and all accessories so where should i purchase them at and what do i need ? brand recommended? both glue and tape, thanks in advance !!

lace

Reaction score
You are welcome.

Hairpiece Warehouse......I have never dealt with them. They have been around for over a dozen years. Very decent prices. I have no reason to believe that their pieces are anything less than equivalent to other US distributors. You should be fine. Just make sure you know exactly what you want. Presumably you are verbally discussing your needs with someone at the company. Make certain you and the consultant clearly understand one another.

Recommendations.....adhesive and tape. Anything I or anyone else recommends is a matter of opinion. What works great for me may not be ideal for you. You will need to do some experimentation.

I have only used two attachment products in 11 years. Tape....Supertape. Continues to work well for me. Has been around forever. Many users. It is sold by many distributors. Try the Hair Direct Store. They have most brands of tapes and adhesives. Supertape also sold on Amazon and Ebay.

Liquid Adhesive.......I have only used Hair Direct's White Bonding Adhesive (11 years). You will not find many users of this product. When I first bought it HD advertised it as the same adhesive that Hair Club was using at that time. I cannot confirm that claim. It has always worked for me. Back on Aug 24 on this forum I posted my workout routine which puts a lot of stress on the attachment: "I workout 7 days per week using a 3 day rotation.....Day 1 40 minutes of weightlifting and 40 high intensity minutes on a stationery bike. Day 2 is the same as Day 1 just a different weight routine, same bike routine. Day 3: one mile freestyle swim." The combo Supertape/White Adhesive remains rock solid for the entire 6 weeks I go between attachments. You may not have the same results!

I just checked the Hair Direct website. Cannot find the white adhesive. Perhaps now discontinued. I am NOT happy. Will call them in the morning. Fortunately I have enough for at least another year.

Do some reading on liquid adhesives. You will receive many recommendations. Experiment until you find what works best for you.

Good luck.

Attachments

• HD-White-Adhesive.jpg
    HD-White-Adhesive.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 153

ancucdi

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are welcome.

Hairpiece Warehouse......I have never dealt with them. They have been around for over a dozen years. Very decent prices. I have no reason to believe that their pieces are anything less than equivalent to other US distributors. You should be fine. Just make sure you know exactly what you want. Presumably you are verbally discussing your needs with someone at the company. Make certain you and the consultant clearly understand one another.

Recommendations.....adhesive and tape. Anything I or anyone else recommends is a matter of opinion. What works great for me may not be ideal for you. You will need to do some experimentation.

I have only used two attachment products in 11 years. Tape....Supertape. Continues to work well for me. Has been around forever. Many users. It is sold by many distributors. Try the Hair Direct Store. They have most brands of tapes and adhesives. Supertape also sold on Amazon and Ebay.

Liquid Adhesive.......I have only used Hair Direct's White Bonding Adhesive (11 years). You will not find many users of this product. When I first bought it HD advertised it as the same adhesive that Hair Club was using at that time. I cannot confirm that claim. It has always worked for me. Back on Aug 24 on this forum I posted my workout routine which puts a lot of stress on the attachment: "I workout 7 days per week using a 3 day rotation.....Day 1 40 minutes of weightlifting and 40 high intensity minutes on a stationery bike. Day 2 is the same as Day 1 just a different weight routine, same bike routine. Day 3: one mile freestyle swim." The combo Supertape/White Adhesive remains rock solid for the entire 6 weeks I go between attachments. You may not have the same results!

I just checked the Hair Direct website. Cannot find the white adhesive. Perhaps now discontinued. I am NOT happy. Will call them in the morning. Fortunately I have enough for at least another year.

Do some reading on liquid adhesives. You will receive many recommendations. Experiment until you find what works best for you.

Good luck.
thank you much for the Advices, btw where did you get your systems from ?do they have instruction come with it? etc...

lace

Reaction score
thank you much for the Advices, btw where did you get your systems from ?do they have instruction come with it? etc...
Not trying to dodge your question. The "where" really does not apply to me. I completely modify a new piece. New hairline and many changes to the hair by ventilation. What arrives and what it turns into are quite different. And, I last ordered a hair piece 5 years ago. I have 5 pieces that I continually repair and modify and rotate.

Instructions.........no instructions come with a hairpiece. Since you are ordering from Hairpiece Warehouse I suggest that you ask them to recommend some reference materials. Also, since I suggested to you that you research tapes/adhesives at the Hair Direct Store, look for the tab next to Store that says Learn. Start reading. Lots of info. You will also find videos on YouTube. Everything you need to know is out there. In the beginning you need to learn to attach and detach. Plenty of info on this forum on cleaning and maintaining. Just keep it simple. Do not let people tell you it is hard. A little reading, some common sense, and practice will get you through the process.