Dealing With Scalp Itching/irritation From Minoxidil

JS-1991

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been using finasteride 1mg and Minoxidil Kirkland Liquid 5% for just over a year. Great results for me, my hairline hasn’t receded further since starting treatment.

My issue is that over the past few weeks my scalp has become so itchy. I’m putting it down to the minoxidil, however I’m shocked as throughout the past year I never had trouble and has only just come about.

My two questions are -

1) Have any of you had experience on how to deal with the scalp irritation from minoxidil? I don’t want to get to a stage where my scalp is so inflamed I actually lose hair through it.

2) If I stop using the minoxidil would I suffer considerable hair loss even though I’m still taking my finasteride tablet everyday religiously?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TREE

My Regimen
Reaction score
First time posting for me (YAY!)

First off, congrats on making progress! I've been a ghost on the forums for some time now and have learned a great deal.

To answer your question about itching:

I had the worst scalp itching/inflation/dandruff when using Minoxidill. It was embarrassing... The reason your scalp is irritated is because you are messing with the pH balance of your scalp environment. I had this issue for months while using Minoxidill (finishing up my second year of treatment). My cure after experimentation? Application when the scalp is still damp and supple, either after you shower or a thorough dampening in the bathroom sink. This will allow more medication to be absorbed and not sit on the scalp, preventing irritation. Also - lay off the shampoo! You should always scrub your scalp daily when you shower, but shampoo way less (once - twice a week). This will allow your scalp pH to naturally balance out. It may sound gross at first, but I haven't used shampoo in 3 months and my scalp/hair has never been healthier.

Pad dry your scalp, and make sure comb your hair to pull the follicles off of the scalp, and allow a minute or two of air drying.Then apply Minoxidill and you should be good to go!

Addressing your second question, DO NOT stop applying Minoxidill. Period. Everything will adjust naturally and you will be about 90-95% itch and flake free.

Give this a shot and report back in a few days. Good luck!

P.s. There are numerous studies on dermarolling. You should look into this and try it out. I grew back a substantial amount of hair, doing it exactly as described. This will also help with scalp health.

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Strange that you would get an itch out of nowhere for no apparent reason, usually it's because people are sensitive to PG, but you should have noticed that earlier. It could be a sign that finasteride isn't up to the job anymore, and yes if you stop minoxidil you will lose all your gains even if your on finasteride. And you should definitely start dermarolling, it's a must with minoxidil these days, the results speak for themselves.