Dealing with minoxidil flaking/scalp buildup

jpmorgan

Reaction score
Hello,

I use a rather large quantity (2.5ml per application) of minoxidil twice daily, because I have thinning all over the top of my head. 1ml just doesn't cover enough of an area. I tend to get a lot of buildup. I use Nizoral 1% and keep my scalp in good condition, but when the minoxidil dries it leaves a residue all over my head. I have to brush forever to get it out.

I've been trying to find an easier way to get rid of this problem. I'm using Joico Resolve Chelating Shampoo, which is absolutely wonderful for removing buildup from my hair itself. It makes it really soft. However, it doesn't seem to be useful for removing buildup from the scalp.

Has anyone out there found a better way to solve this problem? I've read that Dr. Lee's minoxidil doesn't leave as much buildup, but I'd rather not have to pay that much money if I can help it. I get 4 bottles of minoxidil for $20 at SAMS Club (Member's Mark brand). Can't beat $5 a bottle.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't help with the scalp buildup.. but I must second the use of the Joico Resolve Chelating shampoo. I never knew how clean my hair could feel! I always thought my hair was just kind of dry and brittle by nature.. after using this shampoo, I realized just HOW much hard water and hair product residue can weigh down hair. I use it once every two weeks or so, and it is wonderful.

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
i use to have very bad dandruff and flakes. i use to use heavy hair spray and my hair barber got me nioxin and that stuff works great keeping my scalp clean. i use the shampoo and scalp therapy. (lather the shampoo for a min./scalp therapy for 3-5 min. rinse=scalp is clean) i dont think it helps in keeping hairs from falling out, but it gets all the gunk out. i use nizoral every third day for erritation.
not to change subject-my barber told me that cheap hair spray is not good for the scalp because they contain plastics/vinyl that can stay on the scalp and stop hair growth after time

hopewas

Reaction score
neutrogena t gel anti flake dandruff control shampoo. case closed. had the same problem, used this..no more flakes. it's the only thing that worked. trust me. apply as much as you need to ..leave it on for 5 minutes..wash off. my doctor reccomended it to me. glad he did or else i'm be using other dandruff shampoos that don't do sh*t

ShedMaster

Reaction score
hopewas.. OT, when you stopped shedding after 3.5 months did it stop all at once or slowly stop losing hair due to the shedding? I've been shedding for several months atleast now, after having my hair look great for a short period. I've been on the big 3 since october.

extremekicks

Established Member
Reaction score
JP... Im in the same boat. The minoxidil dries up and leave flakes that are on the scalp pretty good. At my 8 hr interval i just scratch the ish off till i get home and use Nioxin. Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy works great for gettin off the minoxidil Gunk. :oops:

As far as I see it, it leave a resadue on your scalp. Specially use diffussed thinners on the temples. And man i got it bad there. I will tell you this its coming in , been a battle. Last Sept - Nov my temples were fine. But i was on finasteride and minoxidil all summer. I stopped, big mistake.

Shedmaster I have had a huge shed thinnin on my temples in Feb / March ...bothered me so much i shaved my head but i have let it grow back in and its starting to fill in finally. The vertex is making more progress im def happy.

Also I have taken out the TDP lamp from my regime.

On on the big 3 with some extra supplements. I will post up pics soon show some old pictures of the damn pizza slice i had on my head :p

Pce and chicken grease

hopewas

Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
hopewas.. OT, when you stopped shedding after 3.5 months did it stop all at once or slowly stop losing hair due to the shedding? I've been shedding for several months atleast now, after having my hair look great for a short period. I've been on the big 3 since october.

it slowly stopped till the normal amount of shed hairs. i don't shed much now.