Dealing With Hair Loss, Naturally And Healthily

Was this post helpful and what topics are important

• Types of Shampoo/ Healthy Hair Products/Olive Oil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your not balding you baby haired ninny!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

baldboyproof

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello All,

New User here, and basically as I approach my later 20's, I am seeking out a community to better document and understand my journey, which many men go through: balding.

I have thin, fine hair; so even at the age of 12, girls have made fun of me for balding.I took light of this, however, Since I was about 18 or 19, I noticed my hair line somewhat thinning at the temples, or perhaps for a while I was thinking maybe it was all in my head. For years since then, I have been constantly monitoring my hair growth, thickness and doing research to try and prevent what many men would deem an unfavorable ending to the glorious fable that once was their youthful mane.

A little genetics background: my mom's dad was completely bald on top, but her brothers maintained quite a bit of hair with little receding. My dad's father had a full head of hair even at the age of 73 when he died, but my own father and his brothers are all bald bastards basically. To put it simply, my genetics pool seem to be a luck of the draw at this point.

Then comes the research; men today have more toys to play around with to combat balding than ever before. When I first started to deal with this, I knew one thing and that was doing this as naturally as possible, because if I could not have it naturally then I did not care and would shave it all to accept my fate. My first trials were around the age of 23, where I read that all I needed to do was stop using bad shampoos that had tons of chemicals in it. I used ewg.org/skindeep to find which shampoo was the best, and found that dr bronners was the healthiest I could find at a local store. The second step was to put olive oil in my hair religiously every night, massaging it in for a few minutes and then using a boar bristle brush 100 strokes from the healthy areas of your head to the parts that are prone to be unhealthy. I would brush from the base of my scull on my neck toward the top of my forehead. After this, I would leave it in over night or just for 30 minutes, but was doing it on an almost nightly basis. My hair seemed to be fine. I would grow it out and it looked like I did when I was 17 for the most part. Maybe there was still slow or slight receding, but it seemed minimal.

A few years later, at age of 25, I began to read about DHT and foods that block it. I started trying to take supplements that block it as well. I can list this in more detail if someone asks, but they are easily researched online. Anyways, I never did this religiously, but I would be regular about it with probably about once every three days taking a variety of supplements to combat DHT. It is around this time that I somewhat stopped doing olive oil as much. I was maybe doing it a few times a year or maybe once a month at this point.

A year later at the age of 26, again, fearing the inevitable, I felt that my hair was just not as thick as I would like it. Maybe I am a hypochondriac, but I did some research to see if there was a natural shampoo better than my doctor bronners. I found Biota. The bottle says to use it for 6 months RELIGIOUSLY, every day to have results, but when the bottle says 97% had improvement and that it is herbal based AND it checks out with ewg.org I figured that it was probably ok to try it out. For the most part it seemed to be working, other than maybe occasional dry scalp and dandruff (which I feel was mostly caused by over drinking and not staying hydrated, I have cut out since and have not had an issue since), the product did not have any side effects. The first six months I used both the shampoo and leave in serum every day, but the last 6 months I have been using it 3-4 days a week with maybe once a week using the leave in serum. The supplements that I have been taking for DHT blocking has been inconsistent as well, and is just not consistent enough in the last year to say any good average.

Anyways, I am here now on this website to better document my situation and perhaps give insight to those that are looking for better alternatives than prescription medication. I have felt like my efforts to minimize hair loss have been effective, and perhaps if I was more strict about these routines, my hair would be much thicker. I am now 27 going on 28 in a few months. There are many people my age, including my own friends, who are dealing with hair loss more serious than mine, but I feel like my research and efforts have helped stave off the threat of losing more so I hope maybe I can help others avoid expensive treatments and choose a more natural method. I politely will respect anyone who is going through this process as well, and I hope the best for you in this journey.

I am only posting recent pictures of my head right now, but could maybe provide younger pictures if asked/can find them.

Comments are welcome, criticism is welcome.
20170526_234545.jpg
20170526_234704.jpg
20170526_234253.jpg
20170526_234053.jpg

Last edited:

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The big 3 or just shave it brah. These are your only options on dealing with this. No amount of herbal supplements, oils or whatever will stop it. Thank you for sharing your experience, but these things just dont work.

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Obvious thinning in the typical norwood scheme. Prepare to shave it if you don't take the appropriate medication. Natural products will do sh*t.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
You still have a well defined hairline and not a high forehead so with those characteristics get a hairstyle that is more distinctive and groomed. If I had that hair I'd grow it longer, comb it back and rock it (but I'm a generation behind you at least, so irrelevant now). Minoxidil at least right now.

baldboyproof

My Regimen
Reaction score
You still have a well defined hairline and not a high forehead so with those characteristics get a hairstyle that is more distinctive and groomed. If I had that hair I'd grow it longer, comb it back and rock it (but I'm a generation behind you at least, so irrelevant now). Minoxidil at least right now.

I had grown it out and tried that look about a week ago. My dad did it for a while. I shaved it to 1" yesterday.

Attachments

• 20170527_123540.jpg
    20170527_123540.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 20170527_123518.jpg
    20170527_123518.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 20170527_123447.jpg
    20170527_123447.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 267

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
> Dealing With Hair Loss, Naturally And Healthily

Try natural shaving

baldboyproof

My Regimen
Reaction score
Obvious thinning in the typical norwood scheme. Prepare to shave it if you don't take the appropriate medication. Natural products will do sh*t.

I was dreading the norwood, as you said. I think I am going to try one last time for 6 months and take the supps and use the biota every day. I'm going to shave down to 1/8 inch I'll post pictures monthly

For anyone wondering what the sups and DHT blockers I am taking:
l-lysine 500 mg
Stinging nettles 480 mg
beta sitosterol 120 mg
Saw Palmetto 540 mg
Pygeum Extract 50mg
Green Tea Extract 250mg
Pumpkin Seed Complex 350 mg
Licorice Root Extract 450 mg
Vitamin B-6 100 mg
Biotin 10,000 mcg
Multi Vitamin

After this it will be considering minoxidil more likely

Hang90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dont waste your money on all this products that will eventually do sh*t for you, go on proper medication when you are still in decent shape ! i regret every single sh*t i've tryed before going on big 3 and acutally finally seeing some progress from it

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil alone will most likely not be enough. But whether you wanna take the risk, that's up to you.

baldboyproof

My Regimen
Reaction score
One week into trying to go natural with the hair loss recovery-

Been taking sups every day, and using Biota. Using a derma roller on temples for biota concentrate. Ordered Biota extra strength, coming in the mail mid June. I tried this biota last summer and saw some gains from it, but I was not consistent. I am hoping being consistent with the diet routine will help. Only thing I have not been doing is the olive oil. I added in Grape Seed Extract 325 mg.

So far, I feel like I am seeing small gains again in similar areas I had gains before, but maybe I am just being hopefully delusional. I will post progress pics monthly.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should post baseline pics from before starting treatment to prove how effective these sups are.
Also, theres conflicting information on green tea, I read a study where it increased dht.

baldboyproof

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should post baseline pics from before starting treatment to prove how effective these sups are.
Also, theres conflicting information on green tea, I read a study where it increased dht.

Thanks for info about green tea, will look into it

Baseline pics for before and after:

Attachments

• vinnypoo.jpg
    vinnypoo.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 251
  • 20170528_010034.jpg
    20170528_010034.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 20170528_010204.jpg
    20170528_010204.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 251

baldboyproof

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update at 12 days: I have been consistent in taking sups and using the shampoo and leave in from biota. I believe there is regrowth in two main areas that I did not have before: the corner of my Widow's peak on the right side and the area by the red freckle on my left side. Will post another update at 1 month mark

Attachments

• 20170607_013719.jpg
    20170607_013719.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 20170607_014059.jpg
    20170607_014059.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 215

baldboyproof

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just want to remind people that this thread is for constructive purposes to better document my own hair loss. Criticism is appreciated and welcomed, but harassment is not. I would like to keep this thread friendly and open to discussion.

Thank you in advance for trying to create a friendly and inviting atmosphere to discuss topics within this thread!

baldboyproof

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can't build a wall all at once, you start with a brick, and another one, until eventually you have a wall. Almost everything in life, good and bad, happens with the accumulation of actions over time. A person does not simply get heart disease at age 35 or even age 50 purely on genetics. Usually many life choices were made leading up to that such as smoking cigarettes on and off for 5 years, or drinking alcohol, or eating too much red meat, not excercising enough or correctly. The same thing goes for obesity, skin cancer, aging and yes even balding. The reality is that once you have made wrong choices for too long of a period and suddenly your health problems hit a climactic moment you cannot simply go on a healthy diet to go backwards in time to how it used to be. All you can hope for in those situations is extreme professional medical care that really just helps stave off further complications.

My best example is heart disease, some people are more genetically prone to it. If you live healthily and eat healthily, you can pretty much minimize it's genetic risks and probably will not have to use surgeries or prescription medication until maybe late stages of life. If someone has predisposition to heart disease, but they have not developed it yet at dangerous stages, you would not recommend them to get heart surgery or start taking prescription drugs because there can be serious complications or side effects from doing so and you will probably have minimal, if any, benefit from doing so. It's like Angelina Jolie cutting off her tits because she is genetically predisposed to breast cancer, even though breast cancer has a high survivability rate now, it's unnecessary. For the same thing I believe can be applied to Hair loss, especially because now it has become known that DHT is the main contributor to Male pattern baldness, and hence why you are even mentioning finasteride. A doctor is not going to recommend finasteride to a 16 year old, or a hair transplant to people with a norwood 1. Most people who have not hit that progressed stage of balding are not suitable candidates to start taking extreme steps to combat it. Finasteride, although low chances, can create serious side effects. Minoxidil can create a dependence on the hair growth cycle in some people and may speed up balding patterns if discontinued use.

Me, I am fairly healthy and fit 28 year old with good testosterone levels. My hair is slightly thinning, but I have seen minimal losses over a 10 year period. I might consider using minoxidil or finasteride if I see a change in my hair loss, but I would see multiple doctors in the process and would try to see if I can prevent it, just like any other degradation in my health and appearance. I am not going to jump into botox and skin surgery to prevent minor wrinkles at age 28; same thing for my hair loss. The Biotin hair shampoo and serum has a very high, 90% clinical study of participants saying their hair feels and looks thicker. I have been back on that shampoo for 3 weeks now and it definitely feels and looks thicker as well as I can see some baby hairs growing back. The supplements I am taking are natural known DHT blockers, which can be ingested as a supplement or by changing your diet to include it.

As for the 40 dislikes and trying to keep this thread for a positive atmosphere, let's just say you disliked my post first and you said "Naturally and healthy ... LOL. Next." Which is fine, and I disliked your comment and posted an update on my progress. Then you proceeded to dislike all 4 of my other comments, at which point I knew that you were choosing to antagonize me and troll me. I made your dislike to like ratio 2:1. You comment back by calling me names and talking about my "shitty" cure. I never said it was a cure, just a means of living healthily and by no means as a doctors opinion and should not be taken as one.

Just in your signature section under your comments, there is a lot to poke fun at for your own choices and outcomes for dealing with your own balding. Picking on me for choosing a natural approach when I have minimal losses just tells me a lot about yourself, that you are insecure and probably jealous that I even have that choice to make. I am not rushing out to soak up every last prescription hair loss cure, and I have not had any hormonal side effects from doing it my way. If I am able to continue with minimal losses, then I am fine with that and I will probably attribute it to the way I dealt with it proactively before it got out of hand. I will be taking a physical soon to make sure that the supplements aren't adversely doing anything, and I will be updating my status as time goes by. Hopefully this thread will be a years long documentation of how I dealt with it and the outcomes of it. I am not trying to proclaim I am better than anyone or that I know all the answers, I only hope to become a part of this community, to perhaps share in my experiences, and have other people share theirs with me. Coming into my thread and calling me names is just an obvious anger issue over your own failures with your own life. This isn't a video game or a basket ball game, you don't get to have an "edge" on your opponent by mouthing off to them and getting inside their head. All you do is look kind of lowly and incompetent in a online forum where everyone is trying to gather together to help each other out. All the sups that I bought including the shampoo and serum maybe cost me $350 for about a 6 month supply, or $2 a day.

Caffeineandstudies

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know what is wrong with everybody. What do these haters get from expressing their miserable life here in someone others blog, let the guy try the methods he wants to try. Opinions are OK but mocking someone is a completely different thing. I hope best of luck for the OP.

I have slightly better gene pool, since only baldies in my family are dad and his brothers. Their kids are fine and all the mother's side of family also.