Dealing with accutane hairloss (help) (suicidal)

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairloss side effect is the main factor why i havent hopped on accutane even though i have severe body acne.
Its defo better to have hair that all people see, than have no hair and no acne.
More to the point of your post - hair loss is known side effect for males.
In a lot of males accutane kick starts male pattern baldness or simple speeds it up.
If i was you, i wouldnt rely on chance that in 2 years, it will somehow get better, but it's up to a person.
I know bunch of people who had to jump on finasteride and minoxidil to save hair after accutane course.
It's brutal hw this life works.
How old are you and did accutane clear the acne at least?

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello bro, i am just over my second course of accutane, low dosage or high dosage got more hairloss too,
my recommendation, watch out with the shampoo and you may consider cut your hair shorter, it help me a lot, since hair was really weak becouse of accutane and scalp really itchy, it help alot
thats my experience

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only wish I‘d jumped on it back in my mid teens instead of wasting years using useless sh*t like BP, AZA, Tetracycline, Tretinoin, Adaplene, and all the other useless cosmoseuticals that claim to control it. Thankful my acne isn’t as bad as it used to be, CPA annihilated my recurrent chest and back acne after just a few months but facial acne never really went away. I’m now 4 months into my course of Isotretinoin@60mg/day and other than uncomfortably dry lips, I haven’t experienced any sides thus far and I certainly haven’t seen shedding that I would consider out of the normal but haven’t really seen any progress either, still I’m confident of isos efficacy though lol

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hello, beta, yes nothing else works, you need to prevent your acne to start by healthy food, cleaning, etc, but once its started, accutane is the only way to reset your skin, try going 80mg if no progress at 60

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only wish I‘d jumped on it back in my mid teens instead of wasting years using useless sh*t like BP, AZA, Tetracycline, Tretinoin, Adaplene, and all the other useless cosmoseuticals that claim to control it. Thankful my acne isn’t as bad as it used to be, CPA annihilated my recurrent chest and back acne after just a few months but facial acne never really went away. I’m now 4 months into my course of Isotretinoin@60mg/day and other than uncomfortably dry lips, I haven’t experienced any sides thus far and I certainly haven’t seen shedding that I would consider out of the normal but haven’t really seen any progress either, still I’m confident of isos efficacy though lol
are you also on minoxidil/finasteride? how old are you?

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hello, beta, yes nothing else works, you need to prevent your acne to start by healthy food, cleaning, etc, but once its started, accutane is the only way to reset your skin, try going 80mg if no progress at 60
Yeah did all the fad diet stuff, also used noncomedogenic cleansers and moisturisers, AHAs, BHAs, L-AA, you name it I’ve probably done it in the past 10 years. Will continue at 60 for atleast 6 months as iso is expensive af.

are you also on minoxidil/finasteride? how old are you?

Been on Dutasteride for 4 years, Minoxidil for 3.5, and CPA for 3.5. I’m 25

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah did all the fad diet stuff, also used noncomedogenic cleansers and moisturisers, AHAs, BHAs, L-AA, you name it I’ve probably done it in the past 10 years. Will continue at 60 for atleast 6 months as iso is expensive af.

Been on Dutasteride for 4 years, Minoxidil for 3.5, and CPA for 3.5. I’m 25

Most importantly, how’s yours hair looking?

Jaja55

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello bro, i am just over my second course of accutane, low dosage or high dosage got more hairloss too,
my recommendation, watch out with the shampoo and you may consider cut your hair shorter, it help me a lot, since hair was really weak becouse of accutane and scalp really itchy, it help alot
thats my experience
Hey Chem.

You mentioned you were on accutane, can you let me know what dose and how long and did you experience hairloss? Also if you did what kind of hair loss was it and did it grow back immediately after stopping accutane?

Thanks

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Chem.

You mentioned you were on accutane, can you let me know what dose and how long and did you experience hairloss? Also if you did what kind of hair loss was it and did it grow back immediately after stopping accutane?

Thanks
I honestly have no idea what dosage I took. It was over 10 years ago, so I can't really remember. If I had to guess, I probably took whatever size capsules are most typical... maybe 40mg, but that's just a guess based on absolutely nothing.

The type of hair loss I experienced is the same exact type of loss I experienced after finasteride caused my body to lower steroid synthesis. It's makes the skin and scalp dry and mildly itchy, makes the hair shaft very dry, weak, and wispy... no volume. It did not grow back immediately after stopping accutane. Everything that accutane caused did not return to normal until my skin started producing oil again, which essentially signaled that whatever accutane changed (aromatase functionality, among other disrupted pathways, imo) had returned to normal. I don't remember exactly how long it took to return to normal, but I don't think it took longer than 2 years. I also remember my course being relatively short... again, can't remember, but it was probably between 1-3 months and that was it.

It kind of funny how, now, I'm actually doing everything I can to get my skin to produce more oil. Not only is it a sign of the body synthesizing higher levels of steroids, it also makes my skin look incredible. This is, of course, because of the way I eat, though. If I ate like I did before changing my diet, my skin would look shiny/greasy (think oil on pizza) and irritated. With the diet, my skin produces a lot of oil, but it doesn't look shiny... it's very thick and looks kind of matte. The tone of my skin also looks incredibly youthful.

Jaja55

My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea what dosage I took. It was over 10 years ago, so I can't really remember. If I had to guess, I probably took whatever size capsules are most typical... maybe 40mg, but that's just a guess based on absolutely nothing.

The type of hair loss I experienced is the same exact type of loss I experienced after finasteride caused my body to lower steroid synthesis. It's makes the skin and scalp dry and mildly itchy, makes the hair shaft very dry, weak, and wispy... no volume. It did not grow back immediately after stopping accutane. Everything that accutane caused did not return to normal until my skin started producing oil again, which essentially signaled that whatever accutane changed (aromatase functionality, among other disrupted pathways, imo) had returned to normal. I don't remember exactly how long it took to return to normal, but I don't think it took longer than 2 years. I also remember my course being relatively short... again, can't remember, but it was probably between 1-3 months and that was it.

It kind of funny how, now, I'm actually doing everything I can to get my skin to produce more oil. Not only is it a sign of the body synthesizing higher levels of steroids, it also makes my skin look incredible. This is, of course, because of the way I eat, though. If I ate like I did before changing my diet, my skin would look shiny/greasy (think oil on pizza) and irritated. With the diet, my skin produces a lot of oil, but it doesn't look shiny... it's very thick and looks kind of matte. The tone of my skin also looks incredibly youthful.

Accutane thinned my hair at my temple a bit and it has stayed the same for about 4 years, do you think if i change my diet itll go back to normal or if itll just stay this way.

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Accutane thinned my hair at my temple a bit and it has stayed the same for about 4 years, do you think if i change my diet itll go back to normal or if itll just stay this way.
It will definitely go back to normal. But what I do isn't exactly easy. It's easy for me now because I've adjusted to it and my brain no longer has any type of addictive dependencies on foods that I used to eat. I would say for the first 6 months to a year, there was definitely a period of transition. It took a little time to totally kick all the foods I was used to eating.

I'm only telling you this because most people don't have the balls to do something like this and be persistent. I've been doing this for over 5 years now. That doesn't mean that it will take 5 years for you to go back to normal. It will likely be much quicker than that, but it just gives you an indication of the type of mentality that I have. If I got discouraged and impatient like most people generally are, I would have given up long ago and gone back to my old way of being. And then I never would have understood or known just how significant an effect your diet has on you health and you epigenome. It is literally THE most influential factor of health.

If you eat like I do, you will have digestive discomfort for the first month. After that you'll notice continuous improvements in nearly every aspect of your health with each passing month. It happens pretty quickly. I don't know how long it would take for your accutane induced problems to return to normal, but what I do know is that they would go back to normal much faster.

Jaja55

My Regimen
Reaction score
It will definitely go back to normal. But what I do isn't exactly easy. It's easy for me now because I've adjusted to it and my brain no longer has any type of addictive dependencies on foods that I used to eat. I would say for the first 6 months to a year, there was definitely a period of transition. It took a little time to totally kick all the foods I was used to eating.

I'm only telling you this because most people don't have the balls to do something like this and be persistent. I've been doing this for over 5 years now. That doesn't mean that it will take 5 years for you to go back to normal. It will likely be much quicker than that, but it just gives you an indication of the type of mentality that I have. If I got discouraged and impatient like most people generally are, I would have given up long ago and gone back to my old way of being. And then I never would have understood or known just how significant an effect your diet has on you health and you epigenome. It is literally THE most influential factor of health.

If you eat like I do, you will have digestive discomfort for the first month. After that you'll notice continuous improvements in nearly every aspect of your health with each passing month. It happens pretty quickly. I don't know how long it would take for your accutane induced problems to return to normal, but what I do know is that they would go back to normal much faster.
Thank you for you response. Following your diet you mentioned on your previous post, if i had beef, salmon and coffee, do you think that will be too much of a problem? Also do you recommend taking multivitamins, probiotics and fish oil? I take those. Thanks

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for you response. Following your diet you mentioned on your previous post, if i had beef, salmon and coffee, do you think that will be too much of a problem? Also do you recommend taking multivitamins, probiotics and fish oil? I take those. Thanks
I only eat raw lots of vegetables, mostly leafy greens, a small amount of fruit, small amount of fats from nuts, chia, flax. I drink water. The only supplements I take are iodine, selenium, B12, D3, biotin, vitamin C, and I also use things like ashwagandha and maca root powder. I eat pretty much the same thing every day, which has been useful because I know that whenever some bodily change happens, it can't be because I ate or didn't eat some particular food one day or another. I never get confused about the cause when something changes.

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

do you think that your diet would actually produce regrowth if somebody were to stick with it - and their hair loss was not triggered by accutane

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
do you think that your diet would actually produce regrowth if somebody were to stick with it - and their hair loss was not triggered by accutane
Yes. However, what I can tell you for certain is that, at the very least, it would cause the complete cessation of hair loss and inflammation. Now, this would lead me to believe that if the hair stops falling out completely, the only logical outcome is the eventual regrowth. If the rate at which you grow hair is greater than the rate at which you lose hair, the result is more hair.

So, while I do know that with the dietary changes, hair will completely stop falling out, I won't be able to definitively say that hair will grow back completely until I've fully recovered from finasteride again and given myself a full hair cycle's length in time. So, I would say from the day I feel recovered and my hair stops falling out again, it should be around 7-8 months to see the growth from a full hair cycle.

The fact that I was able to completely stop hair loss, though, is amazing in it's own right. The only time that has ever happened is during the first month or so of my cycles using finasteride. After around 3 weeks, itchiness, irritation, and hair loss completely ceased (until, shortly after, finasteride caused lowered steroid synthesis and enzyme expression). This is a pretty big deal because my hair loss has always been very aggressive... it started in my teenage years and began falling out very rapidly. So, the expectation is that after recovery from finasteride, my hair would resume the same aggressive loss like it always had in the past. It didn't, though. It completely stopped and quite a few other very positive physiological changes happened along with it.

If you've never damaged your body's steroid metabolism with any drug.. not just finasteride or accutane.. I actually envy you because your body has the ability to epigenetically adapt to dietary changes much more quickly than me, since I have to wait for my body to fix the damage that has been caused before I get to experience any of the benefits.

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. However, what I can tell you for certain is that, at the very least, it would cause the complete cessation of hair loss and inflammation. Now, this would lead me to believe that if the hair stops falling out completely, the only logical outcome is the eventual regrowth. If the rate at which you grow hair is greater than the rate at which you lose hair, the result is more hair.

So, while I do know that with the dietary changes, hair will completely stop falling out, I won't be able to definitively say that hair will grow back completely until I've fully recovered from finasteride again and given myself a full hair cycle's length in time. So, I would say from the day I feel recovered and my hair stops falling out again, it should be around 7-8 months to see the growth from a full hair cycle.

The fact that I was able to completely stop hair loss, though, is amazing in it's own right. The only time that has ever happened is during the first month or so of my cycles using finasteride. After around 3 weeks, itchiness, irritation, and hair loss completely ceased (until, shortly after, finasteride caused lowered steroid synthesis and enzyme expression). This is a pretty big deal because my hair loss has always been very aggressive... it started in my teenage years and began falling out very rapidly. So, the expectation is that after recovery from finasteride, my hair would resume the same aggressive loss like it always had in the past. It didn't, though. It completely stopped and quite a few other very positive physiological changes happened along with it.

If you've never damaged your body's steroid metabolism with any drug.. not just finasteride or accutane.. I actually envy you because your body has the ability to epigenetically adapt to dietary changes much more quickly than me, since I have to wait for my body to fix the damage that has been caused before I get to experience any of the benefits.
Interesting, I suppose this is where dermarolling comes into play, too.

im not sure I have pfs, if anything a very light version of it. I definitely don’t tolerate lots of food well, thats for sure.

Do you think I can go back to eating normal (meaning still healthy by most western metrics: cooked potatoes, some dairy, rice etc.) once I have recovered? If there is anything I’m recovering from right now, which it feels like tbh.

i dont think I will ever return to gluten and heated fats