dboty's story

dboty

Reaction score
What's up world. My name's dboty and I just started using Generic finasteride 1.25 mg/day TODAY and I thought I'd use this place as somewhere to track my progress and results.

My current regimen is (Big 3):

-Generic finasteride (is it Proscar? I don't really know it just says Generic finasteride on my bottle) 5mg cut into quarters, skip every 5th day.

-Rogaine Foam 2x/day. Once in the AM, once in the PM.

-Nizoral 2-3x week (haven't started it yet just picked it up)

A little bit about me:

-I'm 24 going on 25 in a month or so.

-I've probably been receding/balding since I was 21/22... it's really hard for me to tell for sure... the thing sort of crept up on me! It may have even started earlier, but it's slowly progressed with time. I didn't do anything about it though (doh!). I would say for sure since I was at least 22...

-My pattern is diffuse thinning on top with a receding of the temples as well. I'm not really sure what Norwood scale I am (which you'll see why below)

-For the past year I've been shaving my head quite regularly. As a matter of fact I've grown fairly accustomed to me with the shaved head/bald look. By now most of you are probably wondering... "why start now then?" which my response to that is... why not?

I mean I have no problems with shaving my head, but it would be nice to have hair though ya know?

I'm going to continue shaving my head for at least the next 6 months or so. There are positives and negatives to this:

Positive: I don't have to worry about shedding (lol)
Negative: Progress will be hard to track

That said, I'm in this for the long haul. I really don't expect to be seeing results overnight and hopefully I'll be able to gauge my results after 2 years or so. This is also the main reason I opted for Generic finasteride over Propecia. IF I grow my hair out after 2 years and see no results or even a worsening then what it was previously, at the very LEAST I will have spent less $ then if I had bought brand name Propecia. I'm unaware of whether or not a generic version of Rogaine Foam exists, but whatever I'll pay for name brand when it comes to this.

If I experience any sides (libido primarily being the biggest concern) I will drop Propecia and pursue alternatives (if any exist). When it comes to messing around... I'm not going to mess around with that. Sex > Hair. Plain and simple.

They say pictures are worth a thousand words so here goes nothing:

(I apologize in advance. I tried uploading the pics through here but to no avail)

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/1895 ... bBdiFW.JPG

Me at 18. This a typical wonky picture that parents want of their children so I apologize in advance for the stupidity of it. I don't personally notice any signs of male pattern baldness, but I do have a high (hairline... I've always had that though (at least to my understanding). I also have a humongous head. Seriously my hat size is 7 5/8 and I was about 5'6 135 lbs in this pic. That's a big head... big forehead especially I think.

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2550 ... NxxXBV.JPG

Me at 23. This was taken October 2010. As you can see some damage has been done. I'm not sure where you'd put that hair on the Norwood scale. Somewhere around 2-3 I guess? The diffuse thinning is hard to notice, because the hair's been grown out and it kind of covers it up, but I swear it's there. There may have been the beginnings of a bald spot in the back as well, but it may just be a a symptom of the diffuse thinning in the back... not entirely sure. I was in a hat wearing stage during this time so there aren't very many pics of me with hair that's why I used this pic.
(side note: I hate this picture. I obviously wasn't prepared and I look like a clueless dolt, but oh well)

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2022 ... mnVNJF.JPG

Here's me today. I loaded it sideways b/c when I uploaded it normally the website cut most of my head off (lol). I apologize as I never got the myspace mirror photo look down. I'm bald. Very bald (lol). I think my head looks funnier in this pic in the angle compared to how it looks irl. I shave my head every few days or so and I'm okay with it, but again... I'd like to be able to grow some hair!

So this is it. I'll update it periodically every now and then, but as I stated before: I'm looking at the big picture. I'm in it to win it, but I realize this is going to be a very arduous and time consuming battle. I'll try to upload a few more pics later, but for now...I need to eat.

dboty

Reaction score
Ben: For sure. I'm thinking about trying to grow out my hair a bit at 4 month intervals to see if there has been any progress. Just let it grow for a week, see if there's been any progress, and then whup, shave it off again. The important thing for me is that I'm not going to get caught up in the progress and become one of those people who is constantly checking their hair in the mirror and under different lightings and such.

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to comment that your bald look is really cool! I have a few friends who also keep bald look just because they want to. Now when I realized that I'm thinning / receding I'm hoping that I get a courage to shave all away.

Actually I was going to get bald look a month ago when my sister who's a hairdresser / stylist cut my hair and I talked to her about my situation and she said that I've started to balding for sure ( we haven't seen in 8 months before that ).

When I asked her to shave all off she refused and said there is no need to do that yet.. :S

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
You look much better with shaved head (no :gay: ). Honestly, I wouldn't bother if you're heavily diffused by now but good luck either way!

dboty

Reaction score
Top and back of my head I meant to upload these earlier. This is from a few days growth I think (I took them a few weeks ago).

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2741 ... OGD8pT.JPG

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2210 ... nrYjKF.JPG

I don't see a bald spot in the back of my head, but the hair on the top is definitely miniaturized and I have a wedge-shaped? widows peak hairline. It's hard to explain, but if I let it grow out, the sides grow faster/thicker than the top. Sort of doubt that I can restore my hairline to it's original goodness... oh well, perhaps if I can get my hair to thicken on top I'll just grow/cut it into a mohawk that mimics my natural hairline? Haha who knows :). Anyways for now... patience.

TY for the complements for shaved head. I actually sort of encourage you if you're losing your hair and it's really bothering you to take the plunge and shave it. It eliminated a lot of the anxiety for me caused by the "bad hair days" or "hat days" so to speak haha. But to each his own.

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my hair grows so fast that I will look retarded within 2 months and when I'm going into barber I will tell them to shave all off.. No matter what my sis said, she won't be seeing me for next 6 months from that so at that time I probably have growth my hair back :D

I'm just afraid that I will look awkward with bald look and well that's my own shame at that time :D

dboty

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good pill cutter? The one I bought (generic CVS one) does a mediocre job splitting the proscar into 4ths... it often doesn't cut clean through the first time and yeah... it makes a bit of a mess.

Don't really have any updates. It'll be a month on proscar in 10 days and no real side effects to report. No brain fog, but I'm already sort of a space cadet, so if I was getting brain fog I probably wouldn't notice lol. I'm on a dry spell with women so I can't comment on sexual side effects =/ Going out to the bars tonight (belated bday), if I stick anything I'll report back on it, but yeah...

So a good pill-cutter anybody?

T

TravisB

dboty you look like Prince William :mrgreen:

but it seems that shaved head suits you well

dboty

Reaction score
Bleh too soon to notice any progress, but I've uploaded some pics taken today after letting my hair grow out 5 days. Gonna shave it again tomorrow before I go to work b/c I don't want to look all bummy at mi trabajo.

Again I apologize b/c I've never been able to upload pics on this site so enjoy clicking the links...

Pic 1: Head of shame

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2287 ... HfPlJ9.JPG

(Don't mind the camera blocking my face, i suck at taking pics with my phone)

Pic 2: Crown and top n stuff

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2132 ... RrCpbI.JPG

(hard to confirm if there is a bald spot on the crown.. it looks like there is, BUT it could just be the flash hitting the crown directly. You'll notice where the flash hits in Pic 4 it makes that area look a lot more bald than it really is)

Pic 3: Right Receded Temple

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/1636 ... YfLloB.JPG

(Note: I didn't bother with the left temple, it's just too much work to angle the camera and get the temple in good lighting)

Pic 4: Front and poorly edited man-boob/face removal..

http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/1577 ... iolGRX.JPG

(I don't know why I took most of these pics shirtless, I had just gotten out of the shower so I guess that's why.. either that or I'm really a closet homo.. I'm way too lazy to really edit this pic + I have the MS paint abilities of a retarded 5 year old).

Anyways, it looks like my hair still needs work. If you look at the last picture you can see what looks like baby pubes splattered against my forehead.. Those are NOT baby pubes, but are actually fine blonde hairs which usually grow in the 2nd or 3rd day of me not shaving my head.. I don't remember getting them before when I didn't shave my head for a few days (I never really paid attention though) so I believe that the Big 3 IS working.. just takes time.

Anyhoo feel free to comment on what little hair I have and if you think any progress has been made/not-made/regressed. I still think it's too early to really be the judge (it's been a shade under 2.5 months on finasteride) plus with my hair so effin' short it's hard to tell anyways (although them follicles still look pretty miniaturized to me).