Day 1, see you in a few months

helpmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey dude, I've read your thread and am happy that you are consistently updating with what's going on with your treatment. I find people that this to really help others when considering what treatment is right for them. Keep it up and hang in there. And don't get discouraged with your shedding. Results take time.

spiveslude

Reaction score
Ya man, it gives me a place to talk about what I've found out, what I'm doing, and work is happening. Cant really do that with friends that aren't experiencing it or don't really care. If it helps people then even better. I took some time to go beyond what I can see first glance today and it looks as if I am getting those vellus hairs (baby white/transparent hairs) at the upper edge of both temples and within my hairline. I'm almost positive that these are new and I'm getting excited. I plan on starting foam in March due to a social gathering in 3 different countries in February. Hopefully Ill see a noticeable benefit from fincar by then. It takes a lot to really discourage me as being outgoing, ridiculous, and optimistic is in my nature. I just hope that I can add "responder to hair loss prevention" to the list of things that make who i am awesome!

helpmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
haha... you have a good attitude man. Whether you lose your hair or not, people most likely won't look at you any differently because of who you are on the inside. Don't change. Btw, if you have access to the internet while you're away, try and in slip in a couple update posts.

spiveslude

Reaction score
So I am finding something out. As my buzz (#5 2ish weeks ago) grows out I have found that actually styling up my curved hairline spiking up the rest with the sides pushed down really frames my face much better. Hope this advice works for other people in the Norwood 2-2.5 range. I use a hair wax and glue for the front and wax for the rest on semi wet hair. I have hair with a mind of its own so this is a must. Honestly I cant tell if I have vellus hairs growing or if I am sheeding so nothing new at about 3 months? I alrdy forgot how long ive done this.

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Yah man. 3 months coming up in 10 days too with nothing to report. No sides, no sheds, no visible gains. It's like I've been swallowing sugar or something.

spiveslude

Reaction score
I feel like im losing ground as my hair seems more thin. Hopefully this is a good thing. I style it now messed up all over in a somewhat mohawk with more hair spiked down as the hair approaches my temples which are pretty much just a bunch of vellus hairs. sigh hope it gets better. still plannin on foam beg of march.

YouKnow

Reaction score
I know how you feel. My hair feels like it is getting thinner as well, but it may be new hairs coming in or just my head messing with me.

spiveslude

Reaction score
Welp after a week spend in mexico, the cayman islands, and jamaica I have returned state side with a tan and lighter hair. The vellus hairs seem to continue to come in further out along the temples and higher up in the hairline and I have once again styled my hair to my liking almost showing off the higher hairline. Although I cant say there is an overall thicker appearance I can say that some sun will put everyone in a better mood. Not to mention it will attract that extra attention from the ladies as NC got 5 inches of snow when I was sipping margars in cozumel barely wearing clothes.

hhj1247

Established Member
Reaction score
spiveslude said:
Welp after a week spend in mexico, the cayman islands, and jamaica I have returned state side with a tan and lighter hair. The vellus hairs seem to continue to come in further out along the temples and higher up in the hairline and I have once again styled my hair to my liking almost showing off the higher hairline. Although I cant say there is an overall thicker appearance I can say that some sun will put everyone in a better mood. Not to mention it will attract that extra attention from the ladies as NC got 5 inches of snow when I was sipping margars in cozumel barely wearing clothes.

Glad to hear you survived!! I'm staying away from Mexico with the drug war ensuing. Spring break?

Keep us updated. You're probably not imagining it, your hair is probably getting thicker. Take pics and share. Good luck dude.

spiveslude

Reaction score
Let me file through facebook to find some good ones for a baseline then ill take some close ups of now. And it was my friends spring break but I graduated a year ago so I guess you can call it vacation.

spiveslude

Reaction score
welp I have an update and its not spectacular... Still on 1/5 finasteride 5mg daily and I think I am slow very slowly losing ground. Ill never know if it could have been worse by now. Its been 8 or so months since my month or so off of finasteride so I could yet see some improvement. I have switched to 2% nizoral but the stuff makes my face red something fierce so i might move back to 1%. Its funny haha you can see the drip marks on my face in the places flowed off my hair. Im about to bite the bullet and get some rogaine foam I just hate the idea of having to put it in my hair all the time. I never know where ill end up on the weekends so I cant have that requirement of 2 times a day. Maybe Ill do once a day weekends when i can and 2 when i can.

evolutionary

Reaction score
May as well give foam a shot. It's super easy to use, dries within 5-10 minutes tops, and gives some inkling of hair thickness IMO.

belowzero

Reaction score
Let me share my story.. I have been on Finpecia for almost 10 months ( I am 24), All that i noticed in this 10 months is more receding @ temples. My crown was never thinning.

I just switched to Genuine Proscar because I got a pretty strong feeling that finpecia aint doing the sh*t. I've had 4 days worth of Proscar so far cutting it into 1/4's...

I am hoping that if i stick with the Proscar from now on i will start to stop receding in the next few months and possibly experience some regrowth. I WISH I had started on proscar from the beginning and not risked it with Finpecia because now if the wind blows a certain way i can't conceal that i have the temples of a 50 year old, 6 months ago i could.

Seriously considering the Rogaine foam too but like you said , i party alot and dont know where ill end up on weekends etc so twice a day is a massive chore.

Keep posting and letting me know how u go

evolutionary

Reaction score
I'd commit to the foam dude. The earlier you attack this stuff, the better odds you have. Honestly takes 5 mins in morning from application to completely dry, and same at night. If you're not sure where you may end up, just make sure you get in two applications 4 hours apart at some point in the day, doesn't have to be morning and night, its just for us 9-5 oldtimers (sigh, I'm 27), it makes the most sense. If you have any shot at all at being a responder to treatment, it's when your younger. Good luck.