Day 1 Off Finasteride: Extreme Anxiety And De-realisation. Help

DGARCIA694

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dear Reader - this issue has been resolved. It seems as though my side-effects were 'serotonin syndrome' resulting from my being prescribed amitriptyline (an anti-depressant) for chronic pain.

Although there may be side-effects relating to finasteride out there, this does not seem to be one of them. I will cease amitriptyline and report back should these effects persists. Although it seems unlikely.

Regards

D

"""Hello all

I stopped taking generic finasteride today after 2.5 months on 1mg daily due to concerns over dark circles under my eyes.

Today at about 5pm I started feeling slightly anxious, I thought nothing of it until I experienced an extreme and random rush of adrenaline (as if I was about to fall over) for no reason, and since then have been feeling incredibly anxious and as if I am living in a virtual reality.

I had no side-effects whilst taking the drug and I just tested myself downstairs and all is working fine.

Has anyone gone through this before?? Do I have FPS, or will these symptoms pass? Should I be tapering off the drug instead??

Please please, as my health is at stake I would appreciate the avoidance of mere speculation and would like to hear from people with scientific knowledge and/ or experience.

Thank you all in advance, this drug is a madness.

Kindest of regards"""

D

Last edited:

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lmao no wonder there are still people getting "sides" out there. It's not even possible to happen because after over 2 months it's no f*****g problem to miss one pill. Now gtf out of here and stop the fear mongering it's ridiculous.

DGARCIA694

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lmao no wonder there are still people getting "sides" out there. It's not even possible to happen because after over 2 months it's no f*****g problem to miss one pill. Now gtf out of here and stop the fear mongering it's ridiculous.

hey man, this is no placebo i can assure you. I'm lying in my bed shivering at the moment.

DGARCIA694

My Regimen
Reaction score
im wondering whether there may be an interaction with amitriptyline which i have been prescribed

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Listen to @Pacey123, he's right. This has nothing to do with you quitting finasteride. It's either a coincedence or in your head. (Paranoid because you're not willing to fight against hair loss anymore)

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
im wondering whether there may be an interaction with amitriptyline which i have been prescribed

Oh god... And then you blame Finasteride?

SSRI's increase serotonin (really bad way to treat depression) and can cause something known as serotonin syndrome, the symptoms you describe sound awfully similar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome#Signs_and_symptoms

If you want to treat your depression rather get tianeptine (Stablon). NEVER USE SSRI's. Far more harm than good.

DGARCIA694

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh god... And then you blame Finasteride?

SSRI's increase serotonin (really bad way to treat depression) and can cause something known as serotonin syndrome, the symptoms you describe sound awfully similar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome#Signs_and_symptoms

If you want to treat your depression rather get tianeptine (Stablon). NEVER USE SSRI's. Far more harm than good.

Thankyou so much for the response; it was prescribed for pain not depression.

Do you think this may be the cause?? I thought it was a pain-killer

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thankyou so much for the response; it was prescribed for pain not depression.

Do you think this may be the cause?? I thought it was a pain-killer

If you've only just started taking this recently, then yes, it may very well be the cause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amitriptyline

Amitriptyline, sold under the brand name Elavil among others, is a medicine used to treat a number of mental illnesses.[2] These include major depressive disorder and anxiety disorder, and less commonly attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder.[2][3] Other uses include prevention of migraines, treatment of neuropathic pain such as fibromyalgia and postherpetic neuralgia, and less commonly insomnia.[2][4] It is in the tricyclic antidepressant (TCA) class and its exact mechanism of action is unclear.[2]

"Amitriptyline acts primarily as a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, with strong actions on the serotonin transporter and moderate effects on the norepinephrine transporter."

DGARCIA694

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you've only just started taking this recently, then yes, it may very well be the cause.

Amitriptyline, sold under the brand name Elavil among others, is a medicine used to treat a number of mental illnesses.[2] These include major depressive disorder and anxiety disorder, and less commonly attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder.[2][3] Other uses include prevention of migraines, treatment of neuropathic pain such as fibromyalgia and postherpetic neuralgia, and less commonly insomnia.[2][4] It is in the tricyclic antidepressant (TCA) class and its exact mechanism of action is unclear.[2]

"Amitriptyline acts primarily as a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, with strong actions on the serotonin transporter and moderate effects on the norepinephrine transporter."

whatevr, this does make a lot more sense, honestly thank you so much for the response. I will cease the drug immediately. Positive energies to you my friend!!

Is there anyway i can edit the post?

DGARCIA694

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe you got the flu then go see a doctor and stop spreading bullshit like that

Pacey, although you did it in a pretty mean way, I must concede that you seem to have been right and it was not the finasteride but rather a different drug.

I will delete the post soon so as to not raise more hysteria.

THANKYOU EVERYONE! xxx

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
whatevr, this does make a lot more sense, honestly thank you so much for the response. I will cease the drug immediately. Positive energies to you my friend!!

Is there anyway i can edit the post?

There should be an edit button underneath your original post, but I don't think you can delete it entirely, just edit the contents.

No problem, glad I could help. I just happen to know a little bit about biology and medications here and there.

I'm sure you can find a somewhat safer medication for pain management, just tell your doctor you had severe side effects from this and that you'd prefer a different category of medications. SSRI's are very poorly explored and it's crazy that they are prescribed so often considering how poorly they are understood.

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pacey, although you did it in a pretty mean way, I must concede that you seem to have been right and it was not the finasteride but rather a different drug.

I will delete the post soon so as to not raise more hysteria.

THANKYOU EVERYONE! xxx

I thought you were one of the idiots claiming that pfs destroyed their lifes and troll. There are so many of them in the last couple of weeks. Didn't mean to be like that if you wete genuinely seeking for advice. Gonna undo my dislikes

DGARCIA694

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought you were one of the idiots claiming that pfs destroyed their lifes and troll. There are so many of them in the last couple of weeks. Didn't mean to be like that if you wete genuinely seeking for advice. Gonna undo my dislikes

It's okay dude. Thanks for responding :)

DGARCIA694

My Regimen
Reaction score

just to clarify, what did you mean by 'recently' its been about 6-7 weeks?