Davids story, with pics - (18 and receded)

DRB

Reaction score
Hey all, Im David, I've just turned 18 and obviously Im here because I have a hair loss "problem".

I think I started noticing it a year ago around when I was 17 when my hair line started to receed..but not slowly, hair didnt so much dissapear, as skin just appeared.

now that Im 18 this is my hair line. (hair is tied back as its pretty much shoulder length...well...whats there is)

the front is the only place where I've got hair loss, top is fine...but Im sure its only a matter of time.

I've considered going on meds, but I don't think I really have the money to gamble with as Im ofcourse still a student who's about to go to Uni....I don't think I'll have the money to spare also having looking into potential treatments, thery all seem to be aimed at the top of the head, not the front.

Saw I doctor a while ago due to other health problems and said about my hair falling out. they introduced me to the word of male pattern baldness and said I was pretty much pre-destined to be bald and that treatments would be somewhat inefecctive

...well I guess thats my story. young and losing hair and hope.

but whilst you guys arent doctors I would've though you may have a differant mindset to some non sympathetic doctor who believes life is just running its course. should I try meds? is there anything (apart from money) that I can lose?

overall my hairloss is getting my pretty damn depressed as with my led-zepplin-esc hair, its really been a sign of my "scene" (yes I know...."bloody headbanging kids")

I think I would just like to have some hair before I turn 20

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Davids story, with pics

DRB said:
Hey all, Im David, I've just turned 18 and obviously Im here because I have a hair loss "problem".

I think I started noticing it a year ago around when I was 17 when my hair line started to receed..but not slowly, hair didnt so much dissapear, as skin just appeared.

now that Im 18 this is my hair line. (hair is tied back as its pretty much shoulder length...well...whats there is)

the front is the only place where I've got hair loss, top is fine...but Im sure its only a matter of time.

I've considered going on meds, but I don't think I really have the money to gamble with as Im ofcourse still a student who's about to go to Uni....I don't think I'll have the money to spare also having looking into potential treatments, thery all seem to be aimed at the top of the head, not the front.

Saw I doctor a while ago due to other health problems and said about my hair falling out. they introduced me to the word of male pattern baldness and said I was pretty much pre-destined to be bald and that treatments would be somewhat inefecctive

...well I guess thats my story. young and losing hair and hope.

but whilst you guys arent doctors I would've though you may have a differant mindset to some non sympathetic doctor who believes life is just running its course. should I try meds? is there anything (apart from money) that I can lose?

overall my hairloss is getting my pretty damn depressed as with my led-zepplin-esc hair, its really been a sign of my "scene" (yes I know...."bloody headbanging kids")

I think I would just like to have some hair before I turn 20

If your problem is only recession, I suggest propecia, and maybe even minoxidil. If your hair is longer its easier to hide it, but make sure you arent having any balding on the crown. Do you have anymore pictures? It is kind of hard to tell from the ones you posted.

DRB

Reaction score
Hey, yea the length is how I hide it, currently recession seems to be the only problem. but if I remember rightly my father lost the hair on the top of his head. Looking with a mirror now though there does seem to be a small a patch where more skin than what I remember is visible...however his may just be my imagination. when you may make sure that I don't have any balding on the crown...out of interest what differance would it make? I don't really seem to hbe having much right now...but I think its probably only a matter of time

p.s yea sorry about the photos, Im crap with a camera, will try taking better ones tomorrow

p.s.s (lol) was under the impression that propecia wasnt really that effective with recession (apart from "slowly/holding" it down" is this not the case?

sorry, am a hair loss noob

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
DRB said:
Hey, yea the length is how I hide it, currently recession seems to be the only problem. but if I remember rightly my father lost the hair on the top of his head. Looking with a mirror now though there does seem to be a small a patch where more skin than what I remember is visible...however his may just be my imagination. when you may make sure that I don't have any balding on the crown...out of interest what differance would it make? I don't really seem to hbe having much right now...but I think its probably only a matter of time

p.s yea sorry about the photos, Im crap with a camera, will try taking better ones tomorrow

p.s.s (lol) was under the impression that propecia wasnt really that effective with recession (apart from "slowly/holding" it down" is this not the case?

sorry, am a hair loss noob

Propecia may hold your temples and recession, and it is definately the sure way to go if you want to prevent crown loss, perhaps even reverse what you may already have. Rogaine is good for regrowth on the crown AND temples. It is not marketed for working on the temples because it hasn't been PROVEN to work there... it was only tested and marketed for use on the crown.

If you want immediate action I suggest some form of Finasteride. You can it cheap as proscar. Do consult a dermatologist and regular healthcare provider however, to make sure there are no other medical conditions which hairloss treatments might further aggravate.

Try and take a picture of your crown. What is your hair color by the way?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
good thing you catch it early. Start treatment now will prevent future loss to a certain degree.

DRB

Reaction score
Sound advice you guys am looking into generic versions of propicia, and wondering whats best form of Minoxidil. will take pic of crown some time, and hair colour is goldren/ginger :p

RaginDemon

Reaction score
DRB said:
Sound advice you guys am looking into generic versions of propicia, and wondering whats best form of Minoxidil. will take pic of crown some time, and hair colour is goldren/ginger :p

if you take Propecia, dont expect any short term changes

give it 6-12 months to work

DRB

Reaction score

theres pic of my crown, flash is focused directly onto crown lightening it all up, so may look worse than it is.

TianCross

Reaction score
Hi pal - I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, though I'm two years older. Started receeding at 18 I think but I also have long hair so it's not as noticable. Also haven't started treatment so it will be interesting to see what we go for in the end.

I'm thinking about going for the meds as all I think we need to do is halt - maybe a little regrowth. Also most people have said they wished they had tried something younger so we're in a good position!

As you probably do I like having long hari! And find the thought of losing it before too soon rather depressing...

Just thought I'd share,

bababa

Established Member
Reaction score
Your crown looks pretty normal bro. Good to see your catching it early. Go see a dermo and they'll put you on the right path.

Peace...

lilltoolate

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like you've got a mature hairline now. Its good enough that you've caught it early. Get on propecia asap. Thats your best bet.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
your crown looks normal, no sign of balding.

DRB

Reaction score
well thanks everyone Im going to be looking into starting propecia aftering seeing Doctor (will probably have ANOTHER bloodtest ¬_¬ ) not expexting miracles....in truth I'd be kinda happy just keeping what I have for say 5-10 years until hopefully something better arrives.

Also thinking of putting that minoxinol into the mix...but seeing as it'll probably double the amount of my "regime" cost, is it worth it?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
you dont need minoxidil at this stage.

DRB

Reaction score
I was thinking of using it to try and help my hairline and and temples which seem to be quite hard hit

RaginDemon

Reaction score
DRB said:
I was thinking of using it to try and help my hairline and and temples which seem to be quite hard hit

frontal area is the hardest area to get regrow

DRB

Reaction score
well update

been back to doctors..had another blood test..every seems to be fine.

so pretty much going to go on what I said before, hairloss seems to be getting worse...before it was receeding...hardly noticed it...now Im noticing hair coming out in my hands if I put my fingers through my hairs

haggis

Reaction score
DRB said:
well update

been back to doctors..had another blood test..every seems to be fine.

so pretty much going to go on what I said before, hairloss seems to be getting worse...before it was receeding...hardly noticed it...now Im noticing hair coming out in my hands if I put my fingers through my hairs

I know how you feel DRB, i first noticed my hairloss at 18, im 30 now and so far have only lost the front 3rd, so just because you start receeding early does not mean you will end up a Norwood 7 by the time you are 25.

DRB

Reaction score
lol thanks, just kinda stressed I suppose..just the experience of whenever you run your fingers through your hair a hair or two comes with it is abit worrying..just seems to have come out of the blue

RaginDemon

Reaction score
My dad's hair started receeding when he was in his mid 30's, it stopped when it reached NW3 and stayed that way ever since. He is now 60 yrs old, with relatively thick hair.