David77's Story

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I'll start one of these threads. And update it at the end of each month I'm on finasteride (1.25 mg a day), which is all I'm on, as well using T-Gel and Nizarol.

I'm a few days into my second month, still losing hair, sometimes a lot, and it has really started to feel thin/limp over the last couple of days. It's got very thin at the back. I think I've got a small bald spot there, which wasn't there at the start of the treatment. Hopefully this is going to come back. Until then, I can cover it with the length of my hair.

Side effects... Loss of libido, erections aren't always 100%. This worries me, but hopefully that will get better in time.

I just hope that the hair loss I am seeing at the moment is a sign of the treatment working. The last couple of days have really got me down, because my hair currently feels and looks the worst it ever has.

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it quite common to experience these side effects early in the treatment, and for them to go as your body re-adjusts?

Cassin

Reaction score
David77 said:
Is it quite common to experience these side effects early in the treatment, and for them to go as your body re-adjusts?

Yes and no.

Most do not get sides, but the few who do, they almost always go away very soon.

Read my story, I go into deail on what happened to me. Considering what I have read here, I think my experience was very common with others who get sides.

On a side note, I considered the sides a very minor thing that was easy to wait out. Nothing major, just a minor issue to deal with for a short period.

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't quite finished my second month yet, but I thought I'd update anyway because after thinking my hair looked good for a few days, it's suddenly gone to sh*t again - this time worse than before.

I've noticed an increase in hairloss in the past week or two... Especially at the back. There's quite a few hairs in my hand when I shampoo, and certainly a lot more left in the bath once the water has run out. I'm not counting them, it's just very noticeable.

I can't do anything with it at the moment, because it feels so limp and pathetic, even after washing it. The back in particular feels like crap, when it used to feel relatively good. Why does all of my hair feel like this? HairLossTalk.com?

The positives: My erections seem to be back to normal, or at least very close to what they were. Certainly much better than when I last posted on this thread.

I've read that people saw a slowing down of their loss at 2 1/2 months, maybe 3, but sometimes much longer, which scares the crap out of me, because I can't see myself losing more at this rate for another few months and not losing my mind with it.

Hopefully I'm going to see something more positive by the end of month 3. :hairy:

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
David77: Don't worry Month's 1-2 are usually the worst for shedding and can often be thought of a good indication that the treatments are working for you.

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
2 1/2 months, and today I saw more hair in the bath than ever. Hair feels sh*t, looks sh*t, and I feel sh*t. Horrible thinning at the back, and have receded further. Please stop!

DovF

Reaction score
That sucks

You are using Propecia and Nizoral and still have hairloss?

Have you tried minoxidil or another stimulant?

Are you sure taht your hairloss is androgenetic alopcia?

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, about 3 1/2 months now. Still losing hair, feels thinner at the back again, and the temples have receded a little more.

The annoying thing is, I'll take a shower, and I'll be rubbing in the shampoo, and I'll notice there's no hair in my hands at all, and I feel like maybe the treatment is working - maybe that's it. And then I'll give my hair a good wash, and there will be the same amount of hair left in my hands as usual. Depressing.

You are using Propecia and Nizoral and still have hairloss?

Yep, but it's only been 3 1/2 months. Some people with eventual good results continued to lose hair until month 5 or even more.

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I shave my head now, but I am watching the left side of the front shed completely out about six inches back. I've been on Propecia for seven months and it's only getting worse ande worse. Looks like I'll never be able to grow it back. Who on here shed for such a long time complete with receding and still filled in again?

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, 4 month mark. Nothing good to report, continues being sh*t, continues falling out, as I continue to want to murder somebody.

upnorth

Reaction score
Well according to Merck's propecia.com site:

---------------------------
Day 1: PROPECIA begins working to lower DHT levels.

Month 3: You may notice a slowing of hair loss.

Month 6: You may see evidence of less hair loss. That’s a success. You may actually begin to see some regrowth of hair.

Month 9: If PROPECIA is working for you, at this point you should be maintaining the hair you have. You may even grow back some of the hair you’ve lost.

Year 1: By now you’ll know if PROPECIA is working for you. If it’s not, further treatment is not likely to help.
----------------------------------------------------------

Don't get discouraged, you are only 4 months in. It's too early for any regrowth, too early for maintenance. Propecia may be slowing your loss as we speak. It's too tough to get a real measure at this point, maybe it hasn't slowed your loss today, or maybe you would of shed 50 more hairs today.

Just stick with it, you might start maintaining your hair in another few months.

SBs4LIFE

Reaction score
David- im right where you are right now...well 4.5 months to be exact. How old are you? Im just 19. Ne ways i am noticing that im losing more hair then when i started finasteride, i just hope that the ones i lose are gonna grow back thicker. Despite my increased loss i think that my vertex has filled in more, its hard to tell though because it was never really bald there. I suggest that you take some pics and stick to it, i just ordered some more finasteride and plan on taking all of that supply before i decide on quiting or not. Check out my pics and story if you want. Good luck, Keep us posted.

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
Month 5.

No better :(

Back has got thinner, right temple has receded further. My hair just feels really thin all over.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Maybe if your not noticing any improvement by month 7 you may want to think about adding to your regime.

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been 6 months now, and I'm yet to see any improvement. Infact it's just getting thinner. But then I've heard people say that they lost a huge amount of hair in the first year, and then it all came back, so I don't know.