David Swissy's Story

David Swissy

Reaction score
Hi... Im David from England...... Im 35 and I started noticing that I had a high forehead when I was 17.. (that would have been in 1986).. Anyway my hair was very very thick and so I would just hide the high forehead by washing my hair... putting soap in it (yes soap) and then blowdrying it... The soap thickens the hair once you have blow dried it...

Anyway about 10 years ago when i was 25 I decided I was going use Minoxidil on my receding forehead because although not really getting any worse, it wasnt getting any better either... .. Id read about Minoxidil in the newspapers and it seemed like a wonder miracle drug... I used Minoxidil 2mg for about 6 months on my front hairline and absolutely nothing happened.. I religiously used it twice a day and massaged it in, but there was no new growth and finally I had to resign myself to having a high forehead... The hair in the middle of my forehead is still thick and plentiful so i tend to have a middle parting to hide the high forehead part at the sides....

Anyway, as I said, Im now 35 (and I havent got a single grey hair.. not one, its weird.) my hair is dark brown. About 5 years ago I was horrified to notice a slight thin patch right on top of my head... on the crown... My hair had always been really really thick on top, it was only my high forehead I had ever been worried about, so to suddenly notice this thin patch on top of my scalp was a blow,,.... Its like there was a part of me that I had always been able to rely on, but was now beginning to let me down.... Anyway, by putting the soap in my hair and playing about with it with a hairdryer I could thicken this area enough to hide the thin patch.. I then spray hairspray on it so the wind cant blow it out of place and no-one could tell.........

Anyway after a couple of years I decided to finally seek treatment as it was just getting worse... I was no way in the situation of any of these other guys where I would be in the shower watching hair going down the plug hole, but nevertheless, on a bad day, my scalp was just beginning to show on top...

My hairdresser suggested Kerastace, which I ordered over the internet.. I used 3 Kerastace products... the special shampoo... a special topical treatment that had to massaged into the scalp once per day for 3 months... and then another, weaker, lotion that was used for another 3 months whilst you were not using the stronger stuff... Anyway, it didnt work... Or maybe I didnt use it for long enough.. I dont know??? It smelt nice, but I just didnt see any evidence of improvement...

So that brings me up to date... Ive now been using Minoxidil 5mg Regaine for about 3 weeks on the thinning area... Im using it twice a day on cleanly washed hair. (making sure its had an hour to dry).. Im finding it a bit of a pain because Im having to wash my hair twice a day... Im washing all of the grooming products out in the evening, waiting an hour, then applying Regaine to a clean dry scalp... Then im applying it 12 hours later before I get up... Then about an hour after getting up Im washing my hair again (in the morning), so its ready to be styled and groomed for my day at work... but giving the Regaine plenty of time to absorb into the scalp before washing it...

I dont know whether or not to order some of that other stuff mentioned on here, the drug... I shall have to see.. Anyway, I will let you know if it helps... The thin patch on top is about the size of a penny, so its quite small but Im in the hope that because its on top this time instead of on my hairline the Regaine will work, I think I read somewhere that minoxidil works better on the crown than on the hairline....

I will keep you posted.. David UK