David Sinclair Is Working On Hair Regeneration

morehairmoredates

My Regimen
Reaction score
He got $700 M to promote resveratrol as a supplement, you don't think he has a financial incentive to promote this stuff?

TheHawk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
David Sinclair is a guy who tends to hype longevity interventions with insufficient evidence, so a bit of caution is warranted here.
What are you specifically talking about?

Do you realize this guy has pretty much not aged the past 13 years?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
The idea that David Sinclair is a scammer is ridiculous. Making money talking about the subject you’re an expert in is not a

He promotes longetivity research… well no duh, he runs one of the most prominent longetivity labs in world. When he talks about nmn or resveratrol he gets $0 even though he could very easily start or endorse a supplement brand and make millions.

His lab recently published a paper that was the cover paper for the most prestigious journal Nature showing that nerve cells can be regenerated.

I guess some people think scientists should never talk about anything until the science is fully baked, but here we all are in a forum that pores over mice studies looking for hair loss clues. The research he talks about is very often more developed than the things I’ve seen people here do group buys from
China based on.
He actually tweeted an old article last week penned by a doctor who thought the polio vaccine wasn't good science. These are the type of scientists/medical professionals that are opposed to Sinclair, the ones that want medicine to move at a snail's pace while people suffer. The covid vaccines have problems, but look how many lives have been saved by them too. I'll take the problems that come with moving too fast over the ones that come from moving too slow.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One of the things that Sinclair promotes is fasting or time restricted eating, saying it expands lifespan in every organism it's been tested in.

Now, I'm not an expert, but what I've heard from people who should be in the know about this stuff is that a 16 hr fast is not the same to a human as it is to a mouse as our metabolisms are different, but that he presents it as if the effects should translate.

He also promotes rapamycin and metformin, which I've been told by these same people have been insufficiently tested and could potentially be dangerous. (EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure he promotes rapamycin, definitely metformin.)

Again, I don't know enough about any of these topics myself to take a position with confidence and I'd be interested to hear refutations of these accusations if anyone has them.

Last edited:

DuncanOP

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think one thing to be pointed is this work should be only a therapy, right?
Since dht "kills" hair follicle, then shouldn'dt be possible to regrow hair at balding areas.

The unique solution to it is hair clone in a Tsuji, Stemson or Yokohoma style.

Chads don't bald

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One of the things that Sinclair promotes is fasting or time restricted eating, saying it expands lifespan in every organism it's been tested in.

Now, I'm not an expert, but what I've heard from people who should be in the know about this stuff is that a 16 hr fast is not the same to a human as it is to a mouse as our metabolisms are different, but that he presents it as if the effects should translate.

He also promotes rapamycin and metformin, which I've been told by these same people have been insufficiently tested and could potentially be dangerous.

Again, I don't know enough about any of these topics myself to take a position with confidence and I'd be interested to hear refutations of these accusations if anyone has them.
In humans you would need to fast for a whole day or more to see autophagy effects, which we don't really know how much it boosts autophagy anyways

Calorie restriction is another thing which boosts lifespan in other models, may boost lifespan in humans as well but it's not proven.

But honestly, when in doubt eat less. You'll be healthier

jake_b

Established Member
Reaction score

He also promotes rapamycin and metformin, which I've been told by these same people have been insufficiently tested and could potentially be dangerous.

He’s giving people his best understanding of the science as it stands today. It’s never medical advice, but for people who are interested, it’s as good of info As you’re going to get at this point. The alternative is to stick with what has been 100% proven in humans which everyone knows already. I’m interested i hearing what direction research is heading in and what seems to be promising directions.

Photon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Rapamycin is mostly misunderstood because it's labeled as immunosuppressant instead of immunoregulator, which it is. I have been taking Rapamycin for a while now and didn't notice any negative side effects.

The only thing in seeing more and more is to focus on SIRT6 instead of SIRT1 for longevity. Apparently, eating seaweed is where it's at lol.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In humans you would need to fast for a whole day or more to see autophagy effects, which we don't really know how much it boosts autophagy anyways

Calorie restriction is another thing which boosts lifespan in other models, may boost lifespan in humans as well but it's not proven.

But honestly, when in doubt eat less. You'll be healthier
Autophagy is another word I've heard described as a buzzword pushed by quacks and hypsters, which is how this Kevin Bass guy describes Sinclair. However, some of the critics of autophagy hype contradict themselves with regards to whether it can be increased above normal levels - some say yes, some no.

Anyway, here's some criticism of the fasting->autophagy idea:

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Musk makes bullshit claims. The fact that he delivers on some other claims does not make him legit.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't intend to keep beating this Sinclair horse endlessly, I'll just add this one more tweet, because I THINK I've seen people on here talk about how they take rapamycin and metformin, so maybe they should know there are detractors in the medical community and what their position is, if they don't already.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Kevin Bass needs to find a better hobby than whining on twitter

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
But is he wrong?
Yes, he's wrong. It's not unethical at all for Sinclair to give his opinion and push for progress. Metformin and rapamycin both have substantial evidence for them, and there's nothing wrong with lobbying for other doctors to take notice of that. Doctors and patients ultimately make their own decision.

Zon Ama

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Koehler Lab Identifies Partner To Move Technology Forward: Update (7/7/21)

About one year after this article was originally published, I have received a noteworthy update to share from Dr. Karl Koehler. Most importantly, as you read in the heading, an undisclosed company has stepped up to the plate to further Koehler’s research towards the clinic. Below is a quote directly from Dr. Koehler:

“We have been better defining and refining our process for hair-bearing skin generation over the past year. Making steady progress…..We have also identified an industrial partner that we hope will be instrumental in moving our approach in a clinical direction. As for our work with David Sinclair, you correctly connected the dots. We have a very early stage project with his group. So early that I can’t comment at this time. Stay tuned.”

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Koehler Lab Identifies Partner To Move Technology Forward: Update (7/7/21)

About one year after this article was originally published, I have received a noteworthy update to share from Dr. Karl Koehler. Most importantly, as you read in the heading, an undisclosed company has stepped up to the plate to further Koehler’s research towards the clinic. Below is a quote directly from Dr. Koehler:

“We have been better defining and refining our process for hair-bearing skin generation over the past year. Making steady progress…..We have also identified an industrial partner that we hope will be instrumental in moving our approach in a clinical direction. As for our work with David Sinclair, you correctly connected the dots. We have a very early stage project with his group. So early that I can’t comment at this time. Stay tuned.”
I guess david know things we dont ...

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
But is he wrong?
He's probably wrong, yes. Every single lifeform/mammal they have tested met/rapa on has seen their lifespan increase, from yeast, to mice mice to the ongoing trials in dogs that are showing early promise.

What he's saying is that we don't have data, and for that, he's not wrong. How would we get data? Study a human for 60 years? The problem is that the biomarkers to confirm these types of things are incredibly slow moving and very tough to demonstrate by the measures that modern science is held to in humans. Sinclair is claiming that metformin could move the average health span by 2.5 years over the course of a life time. How impossible would this be to gauge in wide spread trails even if they confirmed key biomarkers met the primary end points?