daves story - (still staring at the finasteride pack in my room)

djthomas85

Reaction score
hi guys!

im 21 yrs old, and am the type of guy who has quite extreme hair (loves to spike his hair) and about 6months ago i noticed thinning on top of my head.
i immediately got down to research, as i refuse to go bald!
my dad started going bald at around 30.
but my hair is different colour to my dads and my balding pattern is different.
my dads whole hairline went back, whereas i have a thickish tuft at the front, minor recession on the sides, but thinning on top.
ive tried various things such as procerin( rubbish) , tricomin, nisim shampoo, revivogen, AC Spray etc.

i have just recently purchased rogaine 5% foam and have been using it for 2 weeks but my hair siuation is still the same with it still being a bit thinner on top.

i also purchased some finpecia about a week ago from unitedpharmacies
but as im still in my final year at university, i cant afford to slip up as i need 2 work hard this year, and finasteride passes the brain barrier which concerns me a little even though there is no evidence it effects anything.

My Hair means a great deal to me, and im a strong believer that if i start taking finpecia whilst using rogaine and nizoral that i would easily keep my hair untill HM Arrives.

Will post some pics when my phone cable arrives as my other one has broken.

can anyone relate or has any suggestions on my scenario.

thankyou!

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
You're doing things the wrong way around...I made the same mistake.

Take finpecia...it's not going to mess with your brain.

Don't use rogaine until you given finpecia a chance to work (at least 6-8 months). Chances are it'll do the trick for you on it's own. Only add rogaine later down the track if you believe the finpecia is not working well enough (or you get side effects). You really don't want to make a life long commitment to rogaine when there's still a good chance you won't need it...it's horrible stuff. Seriously, ditch it before you start to shed.

In my opinion, this is very important advice and I think most others will agree.

bilbobaggins

Established Member
Reaction score
do it dave, i was worried about the side effects to - brain fog, bi*ch t1ts, inability to get a rodney but at the end of the day it is a faily mild drug and is scientifically proven to work in most.

i say give it a whirl, i've been on propecia for about 6.5 months now and (fingers crossed) i can't say that i've experienced anything at all...i don't get the horn as much but then living with a couple of blokes thats not a bad thing.

keep it real and best of luck ace.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave, I would agree with the fact that you should hang tight before starting your minoxidil regime fully.

oioi

Reaction score
Do it Dave, I'm glad I didnt wait, there are a load of people on here who regret waiting and I've read "I wish I'd done something sooner" so many times. I got on it and nothing bad happened to me.

Reaction score
You should just do it dude. I had my pack of finasteride for over 3 weeks before i started, but once you take the first one its easy. It's just that first one that gets you scared, because I think it's the moment you finally admit to yourself truly 'I have hairloss and I'm doing something about it'. Personally, I've been on it 6 weeks now, an already I'm noticing difference, the biggest one being I don't worry any more - and I'm 18. Imagine being 18 in the same position - If it can stop me worrying it can certainly stop you worrying.

I know what your going through - you can't work, sleep, or eat without thinking about it. finasteride is the answer. It just allows you to know that you are doing everything you can to stop it happening.

I was always a little suspicious about rogaine, I am with anything topical, I just can't imagine any topical working as well as an internal medicine.

I've had no sides whatsoever. It's good to know that your in complete control, your not likely to have sides and you can stop taking it if you do.

In the end its your own decision, but there are loads of people on here its worked for, take Bubka for example - he's been on it for six years and has more hair than he started with, and no sides.

Be wary of hyperchondriacs experiencing placebo side-effects... don't let them talk you out of it - they are just jealous because it may have given them sides and they had to stop.

Good luck!

oggydawgy

Reaction score
I've been on it for over a month and so far no side effects. A lot of shedding but that's nothing new.

djthomas85

Reaction score
cheers guys!

since the post im on day 11 of finpecia. i seem 2 be more horny than ever though!

ive been on rogaine foam for about 5 weeks, do u rekon i should just stop now?

G

Hey Dave, what do you mean by stopping? You will have to use your treatments as long as you want hair.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
djthomas85 said:
cheers guys!

since the post im on day 11 of finpecia. i seem 2 be more horny than ever though!

ive been on rogaine foam for about 5 weeks, do u rekon i should just stop now?

I would...to me it just seems crazy to go on using it for the rest of your life (or as long as you want to keep your hair) when it may be entirely unecessary. You can always add it later...but its obviously up to you.

djthomas85

Reaction score
surely its gonna b better if i use both for now, although i can totally understand your reasoning.

i think i may give till 3 or 4 months on min and finasteride, then drop the min, see if finasteride can maintain the lot for me.

although i dont think starting both at around the same time was a bright idea, cos im feeling the effects of the shed!

im gonna ave to change my hair style soon if this shed gets any worse!

bilbobaggins

Established Member
Reaction score
when you mean your hair is thinning at the crown, how so? looking at your picture i can't really imagine it?

djthomas85

Reaction score
miniturisation of the hairs on top, hence lost bit of density.

thing is ive started early too!
as soon as i noticed my hair gettin thinner, i acted str8 away, but i acted in a way of trial n error with various products, now im about 8 months from when i first noticed thinning, and i realised nothing has really worked excpt tricomin, so i figured get on with the big 3. so i have.

Martaveli

Reaction score
Yeah, I recently purchased Finpecia as well. I divided it into fourths to make it %.25 per day as I have read that it is nearly as beneficial as 1mg. However, I could be mistaken, If I am wrong please let me know. I am only 20 years old and despite the fact I read it reduces libido, I have had the opposite effect as well. In fact, I've been wanting some action more the past few days, is this odd? And also is my dosage correct? (Don't mean to hijack the topic, but I am new to this as well =x.

G

Martaveli said:
Yeah, I recently purchased Finpecia as well. I divided it into fourths to make it %.25 per day as I have read that it is nearly as beneficial as 1mg. However, I could be mistaken, If I am wrong please let me know. I am only 20 years old and despite the fact I read it reduces libido, I have had the opposite effect as well. In fact, I've been wanting some action more the past few days, is this odd? And also is my dosage correct? (Don't mean to hijack the topic, but I am new to this as well =x.

Why you didn´t try the recommended dosage of 1mg first? If you get sides you simply go to .5 or .25 mg.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wow...Thanks..This is a really good thread....I have had my pack of proscar since May, however I have not developed the strength to take it just thinkin bout the sides. I am getting thinner and thinner on the top and shed atleast 100 hairs everyday in the shower. Everyday I think about takin the Proscar. A week ago I even cut it into 4 but could not garner the strength. This has just given me the strength to try it. Hopefully I will be able to do it tommorow. Thanks all and good luck Thomas. BTW, you have awesome hair. Save em.

G

hairhaircomeagain,

why not take it TODAY and NOW? Just keep your proscar, divide the pills and swallow it! Why are you waiting till tomorrow???

G

djthomas85 said:
i think i may give till 3 or 4 months on min and finasteride, then drop the min, see if finasteride can maintain the lot for me.

i'll save you the trouble of wondering, and tell you that it won't. any regrowth that minoxidil gives you will not be maintained by finasteride. this is why it is foolish to start both at the same time with a small degree of hair loss.