Daughter has slow growth of hair -- Help

KGW

Reaction score
I just joined this forum -- my daughter is 12 years old and is very healthy. We have been told there her hair is in the telogen phase so is always resting -- she has had one hair cut in her 12 years and that was basically for the experience -- as she told the stylist "it takes me a long time to grow these so please don't cut much". She is often mistaken for a boy so we wear a lot of pink! The dermatologist we saw had has use rogain and we did for awhile but doesn't seem to help. I don't want to give up hope that there is something out there that she can stimulate the growth of the hair -- it's not a hair loss problem (at this point) -- it doesn't grow. When we went to the dermatologist and he examined the hair he said he had never seen anything like this and that her hair (at age about 8 at that point) was virgin hair still....Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It does indeed sound like Short Anagen Syndrome. Here is some information on the condition: http://www.dermnetnz.org/hair-nails-sweat/short-anagen.html

How detailed was the dermatologist's examination of your daughter's hair? Were the hair shafts examined under a microscope, and was there a scalp biopsy performed? These procedures would be very useful in terms of helping to determine the cause of the lack of hair growth.

If Short Anagen Syndrome is what your daughter has, the only treatment for it is Minoxidil. What strength Minoxidil were you using? Perhaps a stronger strength may have better results.

omar96

Reaction score
maybe you should try another dermatologist, one that specializes in hair disorders, what does he mean he never saw anything like it? its his job to determine the cause seriously.