Darren's Story - (19 / with agressive DUPA)

darren1234

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So i'm 19 years old with very agressive DUPA. Started about three months ago, and since then i have lost over 50% of density. Worst hit are is the sides, where even the doctor commented i have a bald spot developing... Unfortunetly my mothers father lost his hair at 21 so i am pretty much doomed. Started to get very depressing now, can tell the difference in my hair from week to week. Hate leaving my room at college, and rarely socalise now for fear of comments. Worst part is my parents don't understand, it never happened to them and they think im over reacting to something cosmetic..

I know that you are only supposed to start one treatment at a time to evaluate effectiveness, but i believe very agressive hair loss needs an agressive approach. So have been on rogaine 5% for two months, finasteride 0.25mg 1 month (larger dose gave sides - whether that is nocebo or not doesnt really matter) , nizoral 2% 2-3 times a week, beta-sitosterol, multi-vits and a little saw palmetto (not expecting much from that). I am also adding in spironolactone soon in an effort to totally obliterate my 5-alpha reductase. Anything else you guys think i should add?

I shall update this from month to month, have already taken some base pictures but no point putting them up yet. Hope i can at least halt this or not sure how i will manage uni..

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Darren's story - 19 with agressive DUPA

If it really has been just three months then you may be lucky and only have a case of telogen effluvium, which should grow back in a year or so. Did your doctor observe miniaturization with the hair loss? If so, then it's most likely DUPA; if not, telogen effluvium is the more likely scenario.

finasteride and minoxidil is pretty much all you can do. You should give the finasteride and min at least a few more months before adding expensive treatments that are not proven to have anything more than a marginal effect.

darren1234

Reaction score
Re: Darren's story - 19 with agressive DUPA

Thanks for the reply and advice. The doctor did not mention minaturization, however they did not really closely examine for it. Whether it has any relevance or not but the hairs that are shed are fairly 'normal' length and colour. I agree finasteride and minoxidil are probably the only things that will work, however i like the idea of the placebo with the others :)

Its a shame there hasnt been much advance in delivery of antiandrogens through the scalp epidermis, otherwise hair loss treatmetns would be more effective with less sides.. Anyway shall update in a month or so.

darren1234

Reaction score
Thought i'd give an update on situation.

1.5 months finasteride (0.25mg) and nizoral 2%,
2.5 months minoxidil
1 month beta sitosterol and multi vits (800mg)

So shedding is continuing and increasing. Usually find 15 or so hairs on pillow each morning and now losing well over 100 a day. Very little hair now on the sides of my head - nothing until about 1/2 inch above my ear. Front is thinning nicely and top of head is now giving up. Crown is also very itchy, even after nizoral. Currenlty trying to bump finasteride up to 0.5mg daily.

It is almost definitely male pattern baldness aswell - thyroid test came back normal with no other blood test abnormalities. The shed hairs are a mix of thin pathetic strands and normal ones. Kinda have to laugh at how fast it is going to stop myself from crying. At this rate i will go bald by the end of this year (no exaggeration). Balding definitely changes your attitude, friend of mine pointed out someone badly balding in lectures. I would have thought little of it before, but now completely understand his pain. It really is not fair, i sympathise with all of you.

Oh and i have a growth/ birth mark on my head which makes me look like an alien if bald. Not going to lie, but i might do someting stupid if this gets a lot worse...

LeonardoM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Because is pretty hard to find cases of DUPA, any information is welcome. So, I try. Sorry for my bad english.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm your guy? I'm fighting my hairloss (I think it is DUPA) for 5 years now...

Attachments

• IMG_20170614_184217.jpg
    IMG_20170614_184217.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 5,727
  • IMG_20170614_184613267.jpg
    IMG_20170614_184613267.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,871

sisenegonan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I also had aggressive hairloss, and the one thing which constantly bothered me about how oily my scalp, and face in general was. I used to beg doctors to fix this one aspect, no one ever bothered saying nothing can be done. One Doctor came very close, saying its these hormones that cause it, but didn't say (or want to recommend) that hormones can be stopped too.

Its 300mg Sprio which finally made me oil free. I love the feel of my scalp now, even if I don't have much hair left to appreciate. I love that I don't need to wash my face 3 times a day. Hell with a morning wash, only the sides of my nose get oily by evening.

I think in our society we value marraige, and childbirth above all else, and a Doctor would never give you medicines which can interfere with sexual function. For me I welcome all sides (especailly low libildo plis). I had first gone to a male Doctor. But when I started working, though of taking another battle at hairloss, I went to two female docs. Both wouldn't prescribe any meds at all. Told me to live with my hairloss. When I talked about finasteride, they told me to stay away from it... ffs. I think I know why most people are bald now. I went to a male hair transplant Doctor, he told me to get on finasteride, and wrote 15% min immediately.

It doesn't help that DUPA has made hair transplant from donor area also unviable, but the Doctor assured me that he could use beard hair. And he actually did have patients with photographs and documentaries. I have a very good beard, and very good chest hair. Hell before leaving the clinic he told me to have faith, because sometimes even docs enjoy the challenge. Well, I won't be getting an hair transplant but will definitely try a super aggressive regime with probably E soon and monitor for 6 months, that Doctor motivated me.