Dark circles under eyes

G

Truly amazing that everyone here claims dark circles from finasteride, when this side effect was not reported in any of the clinical trials. Neither was weight gain or any of the other half-dozen random sides I hear about on here. My guess is that the dark circles come from not sleeping enough and the weight gain comes from eating too much and/or exercising too little. Stop blaming everything on finasteride.

Can you say psychosomatic?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Truly amazing that everyone here claims dark circles from finasteride, when this side effect was not reported in any of the clinical trials. Neither was weight gain or any of the other half-dozen random sides I hear about on here. My guess is that the dark circles come from not sleeping enough and the weight gain comes from eating too much and/or exercising too little. Stop blaming everything on finasteride.

I know for sure mine didn't come from finasteride, I wasn't on finasteride when I started having it....I was using minoxidil though.

G

RaginDemon said:
JayMan said:

I know for sure mine didn't come from finasteride, I wasn't on finasteride when I started having it....I was using minoxidil though.

now minoxidil i can believe. if you use too high of a dose or sometimes evne if you don't, it can make your face kinda pudgy so i could def see it doing the same thing underneath the eyes. but finasteride, very very hard to believe.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
RaginDemon said:
JayMan said:

now minoxidil i can believe. if you use too high of a dose or sometimes evne if you don't, it can make your face kinda pudgy so i could def see it doing the same thing underneath the eyes. but finasteride, very very hard to believe.

Jayman, I thought you would have given your two cence on this topic a lot earlier. I'm shocked. Firstly not sleeping enough does not cause serious dark circles. If you read up on it (not that you really need to) they are caused primarily by hormone change. Girls who go on the pill get them quite regularly. Now I don't know whether min or finasteride caused it. I was impatient and foolish enough to start both at the same time. I may restart finasteride 6 months later and re-evaluate the situation. Anyway I'm posting this in the side-effects forum. I am not going to turn into one of those anti-propecia posters don't worry lol.

Pondle

Reaction score
person said:
Firstly not sleeping enough does not cause serious dark circles. If you read up on it (not that you really need to) they are caused primarily by hormone change.

There seem to be multiple causes:

What causes dark circles under the eyes?
Freitag FM, Cestari TF.
Department of Dermatology, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil.

Dark circles under the eyes (DC) are defined as bilateral, round, homogeneous pigment macules on the infraorbital regions. Despite its significant prevalence, there are a few published studies about its pathogenesis. DC are caused by multiple etiologic factors that include dermal melanin deposition, postinflammatory hyperpigmentation secondary to atopic or allergic contact dermatitis, periorbital edema, superficial location of vasculature, and shadowing due to skin laxity. The purpose of this review is to discuss some of the available evidences about the anatomic features that could explain dark circles and the proposed treatments for this unpleasant condition.

PMID: 17760701 [PubMed - in process]

Condition known as "dark rings under the eyes" in the Japanese population is a kind of dermal melanocytosis which can be successfully treated by Q-switched ruby laser.
Watanabe S, Nakai K, Ohnishi T.
Department of Dermatology, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan. watanabe@med.teikyo-u.ac.jp

BACKGROUND: In general, dark rings under the eyes are believed to be a phenomenon caused mainly by physiological change because of their daily fluctuation. Medically speaking, the precise cause or pathogenesis of dark rings is unknown, and this condition has not been clearly defined. In our experience, the dark rings associated with conventional nevus of Ota can be successfully treated with Q-switched ruby laser (QSRL). OBJECTIVE: This study was conducted to clarify the nature of dark rings under the eyes and to determine the efficacy of QSRL. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Fifty-four patients who received a biopsy for pigment macules of the face were retrieved, and of that number 12 patients with bilateral homogeneous pigment macule on suborbital regions were selected for study of the dark rings. Of those patients, the histology and the efficacy of QSRL were evaluated retrospectively. RESULTS: Histologically, all 12 patients indicated dermal melanocytosis, which was confirmed by the Masson-Fontana silver stain and staining against S100. In five patients who received QSRL therapy two times or more, the clinical improvement of two patients was scored as good (40-69%), and two other patients as excellent (>70% clearance). CONCLUSIONS: We speculate that so-called dark rings under the eyes in the Japanese population is a kind of dermal melanocytosis which can be successfully treated by QSRL.

PMID: 16792642 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there are all sorts of "dark circles" for different reasons... or sometimes a combination of reasons. You might:

* have overly pigmented skin there
* have thin skin there and the blood vessels are showing though
* have fat loss and are creating shadows in the depressions

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The fundamental point you are all missing is that mine arose when I started the big 3.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
person, just try dropping one thing at a time for a few weeks itl help you narrow it down...even the nizoral

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
person said:
The fundamental point you are all missing is that mine arose when I started the big 3.

Have you noticed any changes since stopping? Please keep us posted!

Thanks

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I know 100% my dark eyes were not caused by finasteride as I had it way before I even started finasteride.

I was accusing minoxidil because I remember I start having it a month after I started foam.

Now they were a lot better, they were still there if I didnt have a good night sleep, but I don't look like a panda no more.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well my derm said it would take 3 to 6 months to see an improvement as the collagen needs to replenish itself. I have been using Replenix Eye lightening serum and it seems to be helping. I hoenstly do see an improvement of the circles. Though they haven't completely gone yet. I will assess the situation in a couple of months. Might opt for plastic surgery if they dont go down completely.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you sure collagen break down is the reason behind dark cirlces? I think it's just a symptom of hormone imbalance. Kids have very high levels of collagen and no DHT.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Skaff said:
Are you sure collagen break down is the reason behind dark cirlces? I think it's just a symptom of hormone imbalance. Kids have very high levels of collagen and no DHT.

Damn this is annoying - some things I read say DHT boosts collagen, others say the complete opposite. Anyway, I'm more inclinded to believe that it's not good for your skin. I think it's just a matter of time before I drop finasteride... ah!!! :lost:

ttroy

Reaction score
Thought I'd add to this. I noticed that my face went to hell on and right after quitting finasteride: dark circles under eyes and massive wastage of facial collagen (especially in the area around my eyes and cheeks). It's looking better now 8 months after dropping finasteride, but I have not gotten my looks back. Check this out: http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=406 .I'm guessing T and/or DHT are extremely important for your skin and facial structure.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
doesnt happen to everyone though, probably less than 1% of all users.