Daily 2% nizoral--any risks? Old study on oral

DuCharme

Reaction score
I've been using 2% Nizoral shampoo daily for six months or so, but I'm still slightly uneasy on its safety. For one, even the watery 1% is only really recommended a few times per week. And I've never found any studies on long term use of 2%, since it seems assumed that nobody would bother to get a Rx for it indefinitely.

It's topical, sure...but it seems a consensus here that topical finasteride probably only works by going systemic. Is this a risk for nizoral? Opinions?

This is a real concern; oral KCZ isn't really a very good idea long term:
Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1992 July; 34(1): 75–78.

PMCID: PMC1381379
Copyright notice
Contrasting effects of fluconazole and ketoconazole on phenytoin and testosterone disposition in man.
M A Touchette, P H Chandrasekar, M A Milad, and D J Edwards
College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202.
Small right arrow pointing to: This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
Abstract
Nine healthy male subjects received oral fluconazole 400 mg daily, ketoconazole 200 mg twice daily or no treatment for 6 days according to a randomized, cross-over design. A single 250 mg oral dose of phenytoin suspension was administered on day 5 and serum phenytoin concentrations were measured over the following 48 h. Serum testosterone concentrations were measured for 10 h after each dose of phenytoin. Ketoconazole had no significant effect on phenytoin concentrations while the mean AUC(0,48) for phenytoin was significantly higher with fluconazole (195.2 +/- 47.8 micrograms ml-1 h) than control (146.3 +/- 49.6 micrograms ml-1 h). At 48 h, the serum phenytoin concentration averaged 1.72 micrograms ml-1 under control conditions and 3.99 micrograms ml-1 with fluconazole (132% increase). AUC(0,10) for testosterone was 42% lower than control after ketoconazole administration (P less than 0.05) but increased by 33% from 55.6 +/- 9.4 ng ml-1 h (control) to 73.8 +/- 12.6 ng ml-1 h with fluconazole. AUC(0,10) values for the testosterone precursors androstenedione and 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone were significantly higher in the fluconazole treatment phase as were concentrations of luteinizing hormone. The mechanism and clinical significance of the increase in testosterone concentration caused by fluconazole remains to be determined.

DuCharme

Reaction score
Err...answering my own question; ain't that the way the world works? Though I would like citation to these studies mentioned.

nizoral (Ketoconazole) shampoo
[McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals]
CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY

Tinea (pityriasis) versicolor is a non-contagious infection of the skin caused by Pityrosporum orbiculare (Malassezia furfur). This commensal organism is part of the normal skin flora. In susceptible individuals the condition is often recurrent and may give rise to hyperpigmented or hypopigmented patches on the trunk which may extend to the neck, arms and upper thighs. Treatment of the infection may not immediately result in restoration of pigment to the affected sites. Normalization of pigment following successful therapy is variable and may take months, depending on individual skin type and incidental skin exposure. The rate of recurrence of infection is variable.

When ketoconazole 2% shampoo was applied dermally to intact or abraded skin of rabbits for 28 days at doses up to 50 mg/kg and allowed to remain one hour before being washed away, there were no detectable plasma ketoconazole levels using an assay method having a lower detection limit of 5 ng/mL. NIZORAL® (ketoconazole) was not detected in plasma in 39 patients who shampooed 4-10 times per week for 6 months or in 33 patients who shampooed 2-3 times per week for 3-26 months (mean: 16 months).

An exaggerated use washing test on the sensitive antecubital skin of 10 subjects twice daily for five consecutive days showed that the irritancy potential of ketoconazole 2% shampoo was significantly less than that of 2.5% selenium sulfide shampoo.

A human sensitization test, a phototoxicity study, and a photoallergy study conducted in 38 male and 22 female volunteers showed no contact sensitization of the delayed hypersensitivity type, no phototoxicity and no photoallergenic potential due to NIZORAL® (ketoconazole) 2% Shampoo.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
My english it's not so well but that study show us that it's safe??

btw How are the results but far on your keto threatment??

DuCharme

Reaction score
The one sentence version: according to the study above, Keto--which has been shown to be a mild anti-androgen as well as a potent anti-fungal medication--does not build up in the blood--ie, does not show up in blood plasma--even with daily use for up to six tested months.

So...daily use for a long time isn't any worse than EOD for short periods, as is recommended for dandruff.

One caveat: the study was conducted by McNeil Consumer Products, a division of Johnson & Johnson, which owns the patent on Nizoral shampoo. I'd really like to read the actual study results rather than the precis from the company owning the product tested, though.

But this is good enough for me to keep using it at least. My results from KCZ have been comparable with the results I had from my four months on finasteride a few years ago--without the unpleasant side effects. More or less holding, which will do for now.

DuCharme

Reaction score
An Entreaty

Any college students around? Since graduation I've lost access to subscription databases from my university and would really like to read an article from ScienceDirect (without plunking down $34.95 for a two page story sight unseen :badmood: ):

Copyright © 2006 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology Published by Elsevier Ireland Ltd.
Letter to the Editor

Reversal of androgenetic alopecia by topical ketoconzole: Relevance of anti-androgenic activity

Shigeki Inui; Satoshi Itamia

Department of Regenerative Dermatology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2-2, G2, Yamadaoka, Suita-shi, Osaka 565-0871, Japan

Received 24 May 2006.
Available online 25 September 2006.

treadstone

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's the entire text of the article:

Ketoconazole (KCZ), an imidazole anti-fungal agent, is known to be effective for the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. In addition, 2% KCZ shampoo was found to improve hair density and the size and proportion of anagen follicles in androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) [1] and, in combination with finasteride, to have an additive effect for Androgenetic Alopecia [2] S. Khandpur, M. Suman and B.S. Reddy, Comparative efficacy of various treatment regimens for androgenetic alopecia in men, J Dermatol 29 (2002), pp. 489–498. View Record in Scopus | Cited By in Scopus (13)[2]. Recently, it has been reported that topical application of KCZ stimulates hair growth in C3H/HeN mice [3]. However, whether topical KCZ is effective enough to improve the clinical appearance of Androgenetic Alopecia is not yet clear. We therefore carried out an open trial of topical 2% KCZ lotion (Nizoral®) in combination with shampoos. Furthermore, to identify the mechanism, which can explain the clinical effect of KCZ on Androgenetic Alopecia, we performed transient transfection assays using CV-1 cells transfected with androgen receptors (AR).

The six Japanese males from 23 to 51 years old were enrolled in this study with their written informed consent. They presented with grade II vertex to IVa Androgenetic Alopecia according to the Hamilton–Norwood classification [4]. The subjects applied topical 2% KCZ lotion (Nizoral®) almost every day during or immediately after hair washing with their own unmedicated shampoos. When they revisited our clinic every several months, clinical pictures were obtained to determine the efficacy of the treatment. Two of the men, one 23 years old with grade II vertex and the other 25 years old with Va Androgenetic Alopecia, showed remarkable hair regrowth after 6 and 10 months, respectively (Fig. 1). The 23-year-old male stopped using KCZ and 3 months later hair loss recurrence on the vertex was noted (Fig. 1c). When he started using KCZ again during shampooing, hairs on the vertex grew again after 3 months (Fig. 1d). These findings constitute evidence of the clinical efficacy of KCZ for Androgenetic Alopecia. A 41-year-old male showed a slight increase in vertex hair growth after 1 year. Other three of the men, 31, 38 and 51 years old did not show significant improvement. These findings suggest that topical KCZ with shampoo can be effective for some males with Androgenetic Alopecia.

To identify the mechanism, which can explain the effect of KCZ on Androgenetic Alopecia, we performed transient transfection assays using an androgen-responsive synthetic promoter for CV-1 cells transfected with AR. At 50–70% confluency in a 24-well plate, the CV-1 cells, maintained in Dulbecco's modified Eagle's medium (DMEM) supplemented with 10% fetal bovine serum, were transfected with the transfection reagent Fugene-6 (Roche Diagnostics Corp., Indianapolis, IN, USA) according to the manufacturer's instructions. For luciferase assays, we transfected 0.1 ?g of the reporter plasmid, pGL2-GRE3-bG-luc [5], 12.5 ng of pCI-neo-BamX-AR(Gly23) [5] and 0.2 ?g of the pRL-CMV vector, the Renilla luciferase control reporter vector driven by the CMV immediate-early enhancer/promoter, as the internal controls. At 24 h after transfection, we added fresh DMEM supplemented with 10% charcoal-treated fetal bovine serum with methyltrienolone (R1881, a stable synthetic androgen) or ethanol as a mock vehicle. The cells were also treated with KCZ (Janssen, L.P., Titusville, NJ) or ethanol as a mock vehicle. At 48 h after transfection, the cells were harvested for luciferase assays. Luciferase activities were measured with a luminometer using the Dual-Luciferase™ reporter assay system (Promega, Madison, WI). The results were summarized from three independent sets of transfections and presented as mean ± S.D.; statistical significance was tested with Student's t-test. The results demonstrated that 10 or 20 ?g/ml KCZ reduced luciferase activity to 67.5% (p < 0.01) or 49.9% (p < 0.03), respectively, reflecting its suppressive action on AR (Fig. 2). This finding suggests that KCZ improves Androgenetic Alopecia through the suppression of AR activity.

Dermal papilla cells are the main targets for androgen in hair follicles, as evidenced by immunohistochemistry [6] and reporter assays [7] for the detection of AR. Deep penetration of KCZ into dermal papilla is therefore necessary to realize the suppressive action on androgen in vivo. The use of KCZ in combination with detergent containing shampoos in this study may enhance KCZ penetration. On the other hand, a recent study demonstrated that KCZ stimulates hair growth in mice [3], suggesting that its effect on hair is androgen independent. To summarize, KCZ may exert its effect on Androgenetic Alopecia in both an androgen-dependent and -independent manner.

CCS

Reaction score
I saw one study abstract comparing 2% to 1% when used 2x per week. Both had the same results, and were significantly better than placebo. The only reason I don't use it every day is I want to use more variaty of other good shampoos, and in theory keto is active in the scalp for 3-4 days.

DuCharme

Reaction score
Treadstone--thanks mate!

A pity they didn't use more than six subjects though, isn't it?

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
DuCharme said:
But this is good enough for me to keep using it at least. My results from KCZ have been comparable with the results I had from my four months on finasteride a few years ago--without the unpleasant side effects. More or less holding, which will do for now.

That i want to hear, seems that lot of users report benefits from using nizoral every day. Started nizoral month ago (2 times per week) and my scalp finally feels normal. Will start using every day

shadowRX

Established Member
Reaction score
If i use Nizoral, right after can i shampoo my hair and condition it using other shampoo?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Yes

DuCharme

Reaction score
IMO ShadowRX I wouldn't double shampoo just because nizoral IS a rather harsh shampoo by itself. No reason other than that not to, unless you find Nizoral has a drying effect on your skin, as most do at first and many to for the duration. But I've never read that KCZ works by remaining on the scalp after shampooing--ala, as Minoxidil needs to stay around for awhile on the scalp.

Speaking of which...here's a divergent line of thought. We apply liquid minoxidil, message in a bit, let it dry. Does the dried residue serve a purpose? I was thinking recently: wouldn't it be more beneficial after minoxidil has dried to wet the scalp enough to create viscosity with the residual PPG and rub that in? In theory by then most of the minoxidil in the applied solution should have already been absorbed, but there was speculation in some of the original trial paperwork on the first batches of Rogaine (I believe it was even in the FDA paperwork, but I'd have to double check that) that the PPG may have been responsible for some of the hair growth in the trials--and not necessarily because it encouraged absorption, but as an agent by itself.

Does the far lower PPG content of Foam perhaps explain its rather dismal reputation here?

Thoughts?

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
DuCharme said:
IMO ShadowRX I wouldn't double shampoo just because nizoral IS a rather harsh shampoo by itself. No reason other than that not to, unless you find Nizoral has a drying effect on your skin, as most do at first and many to for the duration. But I've never read that KCZ works by remaining on the scalp after shampooing--ala, as Minoxidil needs to stay around for awhile on the scalp.

Speaking of which...here's a divergent line of thought. We apply liquid minoxidil, message in a bit, let it dry. Does the dried residue serve a purpose? I was thinking recently: wouldn't it be more beneficial after minoxidil has dried to wet the scalp enough to create viscosity with the residual PPG and rub that in? In theory by then most of the minoxidil in the applied solution should have already been absorbed, but there was speculation in some of the original trial paperwork on the first batches of Rogaine (I believe it was even in the FDA paperwork, but I'd have to double check that) that the PPG may have been responsible for some of the hair growth in the trials--and not necessarily because it encouraged absorption, but as an agent by itself.

Does the far lower PPG content of Foam perhaps explain its rather dismal reputation here?

Thoughts?

PPG is a small growth stimulant, but irritating.

Keto stay on the scalp for several days, every third day should do, or EOD if one want just to be "sure". If one leave the keto shampoo on the scalp under one shower(around 5-10min) it enters the dermis and gives an effect. 1% is almost as good as 2%, no real big difference. It works with the immune response(inflammation) and has a small anti androgenic effect. if one uses a good conditioner, that would probably help a lot with scalp drying, IF one experiencing it.

Hair terrorist

Reaction score
It says in the Japanese study that they applied after washing but it doesn't mention if they washed the cream away.
could it absorb to blood stream more if not washed away?

Wanna be a chia

Reaction score
So after reading this, I'm still not sure what Nizoral does... do people take it primarily to prevent dandruff? Or does it work against hair-loss?

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
hey buddies i was reaserching this too..

when i begined myself with 1%nizoral for 3 months daily it proves that it can block dht iin scalp and i saw more hair growth ever then before.after two months i quit that shampoo and i saw dramatic change my look like hair density visible patches most of the growing hair shedding ..

now from jan2008-till to date i've using niz2% shampoo 2-3/daily .it seems i had a great density and less oil produce in my scalp..beautiful

MEANSTREET

Reaction score
could you in theory have a minoxidil which has some sorta keto in it? like the cream mixed into the liquid u kno