Dad Bald At 26, I'm Thinning Fast At 23, Do I Stand A Chance?

under_a_mountain

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 months and a couple days in on finasteride and minoxidil once a day. Just cut my hair with the same clippers as in the original picture. I'm fairly certain it looks thicker because of the light, but I do believe I'm shedding less. Or, it may seem that way because I try not to pay attention to it. I actually thought it was getting worse because my hairline still sucks imo, until I came back here to see the pictures. Now I feel like I may be maintaining. I think it looks much better after about 2 weeks growing it out and cutting the sides again, but after about 2 months it's too long, and cutting it down this short let's me compare anyway. Staying optimistic...be happy if I can stay at this point

Looks good. I'd up your minoxidil application to 2x daily. If you're worried about putting it on in the morning before you go to work, try the foam as it applies cleaner and dries easier.

northpole1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are lucky,my father started thinning when he was 33yrs old,my grandfather on mother side at 40.Both are nw4-5..and me!? Started thinning at 21,now im 26 with nw4-5 and look old as f***..I have only luck that my hairloss stabilize i can pull my hair,anything and it wont comes out.

hwezdarik

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude you caught you hairloss early :)... Finasteride, minoxidil and perhaps RU and spironolactone cream should do the trick :p.. Stabilize for 6-12 months and then go to Turkey to get the hairline fixed.. I am sure you can stay good for another 10 years !!

** If minoxidil makes your hair only, then go for foam or search minoxidilmax for their quick dry minoxidil or lipogaine that one also dries faster.

Last edited:

Established Member
Reaction score
Was thinning and receding aggressively at age 19/20. Got on finasteride at 21 and regrew a solid amount and have been stable since. 25 now and fingers crossed. If you are a responder you should be fine.

Snipits

My Regimen
Reaction score
7519148B-9F60-4E62-B6D5-06D4DB91D7EB.jpeg
D6F7389A-ACBB-46F9-89F3-85BD1093C20C.jpeg
CDB8680E-D965-41E6-AF25-0104A7A25321.jpeg
So it’s been a year since my last update. 14 months total on finasteride.

I don’t want to jinx it, but I feel like my hairline is holding and I don’t think* my density hasn’t changed much. I use minoxidil before bed every night along with finasteride daily. As far as side effects I don’t seem to have any. I’m a generally stressed person and that had its toll on me before treatment, but, I don’t notice any addition problems since I started finasteride.

Also, my scrip cost gone down recently which has been nice and I plan to just keep with the routine. Knock on wood, I think it’s working.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride was $21 two years ago...Now it's $14 thanks to Capitalism in the Good 'Ol "US of A"! (Capitalism: Bringing the best, to the most people possible, at the best price possible...(So Research and development can continue, and possibly bring more $$ to the company AT THE SAME TIME, bringing new and better, and cheaper products to consumers...Eventually everyone can have a color T.V.) )

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 99155 View attachment 99154 View attachment 99153 So it’s been a year since my last update. 14 months total on finasteride.

I don’t want to jinx it, but I feel like my hairline is holding and I don’t think* my density hasn’t changed much. I use minoxidil before bed every night along with finasteride daily. As far as side effects I don’t seem to have any. I’m a generally stressed person and that had its toll on me before treatment, but, I don’t notice any addition problems since I started finasteride.

Also, my scrip cost gone down recently which has been nice and I plan to just keep with the routine. Knock on wood, I think it’s working.

Looks good man. How has the shedding changed over the 14 months? I am in a similar position to you well in terms of everything tbh except age, im 21 and my dad was nw6 at 23.

Snipits

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks good man. How has the shedding changed over the 14 months? I am in a similar position to you well in terms of everything tbh except age, im 21 and my dad was nw6 at 23.

Honestly that was one thing that really freaked me out when it started, I really try not to look at my hands when I shower now. It used to be so bad I could see what seemed like handfuls, it definetly seems to have calmed down. I’m sorry I don’t have any exact answers for you

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly that was one thing that really freaked me out when it started, I really try not to look at my hands when I shower now. It used to be so bad I could see what seemed like handfuls, it definetly seems to have calmed down. I’m sorry I don’t have any exact answers for you

Yeah no problem man. I have been on it for 3 months now the handfuls of hair got less jusy recently. I mean its still a decent amount but compared to before it is much better. But my hair overall went to sh*t and I am much below baseline right now.

Would you say that your density is much better now than when you first started finasteride? How long after starting finasteride did you figure out that it is actually working?

Snipits

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah no problem man. I have been on it for 3 months now the handfuls of hair got less jusy recently. I mean its still a decent amount but compared to before it is much better. But my hair overall went to sh*t and I am much below baseline right now.

Would you say that your density is much better now than when you first started finasteride? How long after starting finasteride did you figure out that it is actually working?

I would say shortly after I started, like a month or so the clumps stopped coming out. Then I stopped looking to keep my sanity. As far as density, I think it did thicken up a little. I was thinning mostly in the temples (still am) but I feel like it helped make it not as noticeable. I disnt have any crazy thinning to be able to tell you if it helped much with density, I think if anything finasteride has helped my hairline slow down a bit. I still don’t want to say I’m in the clear because my father lost all of his in a very short time frame so I need to keep a eye on it. I’d have to get to 27 before I can tell that it’s helped me I think

Snipits

My Regimen
Reaction score
4926C897-59D5-4414-907E-869A8D2E95A9.jpeg
2980A7B2-3572-45E8-84E3-C8661758D822.jpeg
1221C67D-5009-4957-AA2D-A6D789CA4120.jpeg
2496B751-58A6-4862-B124-C164726D828E.jpeg
4E73A48F-9CB3-4D5E-AA60-C40388324952.jpeg
489655C8-16B7-45C9-8FE9-74C5B658914A.jpeg
139CD860-1CFB-45C4-B90B-F965C6E1EE37.jpeg
726913FE-DB65-4380-9942-12B975BD87E3.jpeg
Okay. 2 year update on finasteride and 1x a day minoxidil . I feel like it’s still progressing, figured it would. My temples appear to have gotten thinner and slightly back further, and thinning on the sides seems to have started (or picked up). I still plan to stay on both, but any opinions on what I should do next would be appreciated, and opinions on where I sit on the Norwood scale.

I am keeping my hair longer these days, so it’s not an apples to apples comparison. But I think this may be more accurate because you can really see the hairline. Oh, and I’ve always had a long forehead lol, I think it’s always been at least where the lowest part of my hairline is.

JonnyGo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 124018 View attachment 124019 View attachment 124020 View attachment 124021 View attachment 124022 View attachment 124023 View attachment 124024 View attachment 124025 Okay. 2 year update on finasteride and 1x a day minoxidil . I feel like it’s still progressing, figured it would. My temples appear to have gotten thinner and slightly back further, and thinning on the sides seems to have started (or picked up). I still plan to stay on both, but any opinions on what I should do next would be appreciated, and opinions on where I sit on the Norwood scale.

I am keeping my hair longer these days, so it’s not an apples to apples comparison. But I think this may be more accurate because you can really see the hairline. Oh, and I’ve always had a long forehead lol, I think it’s always been at least where the lowest part of my hairline is.
Looks better than baseline to me. Your sides already looked thin in the first pics you posted prior to starting treatment. Any sides on fina?

Snipits

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks better than baseline to me. Your sides already looked thin in the first pics you posted prior to starting treatment. Any sides on fina?

I appreciate that, it might be. That first picture 2 years ago was after a very very heavy shed. It’s hard to tell, but some days in the sunshine I’m really starting to see how thin it’s getting in the temples. Still presentable most days thankfully. But the sides have definetly been getting thinner, which worries me. At this point, I’m 25, my father quickly lost all his hair at roughly this point in his life over the span of a year or two

As far as sides, none so far. Knock on wood !!!

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I appreciate that, it might be. That first picture 2 years ago was after a very very heavy shed. It’s hard to tell, but some days in the sunshine I’m really starting to see how thin it’s getting in the temples. Still presentable most days thankfully. But the sides have definetly been getting thinner, which worries me. At this point, I’m 25, my father quickly lost all his hair at roughly this point in his life over the span of a year or two

As far as sides, none so far. Knock on wood !!!
You can check my regimen but remember it is fairly aggressive.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 124018 View attachment 124019 View attachment 124020 View attachment 124021 View attachment 124022 View attachment 124023 View attachment 124024 View attachment 124025 Okay. 2 year update on finasteride and 1x a day minoxidil . I feel like it’s still progressing, figured it would. My temples appear to have gotten thinner and slightly back further, and thinning on the sides seems to have started (or picked up). I still plan to stay on both, but any opinions on what I should do next would be appreciated, and opinions on where I sit on the Norwood scale.

You are doing well for 25 bro. Especially considering your dad.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong. Maybe some what thinner on the corner but looks good. Keep an eye on it.

I know this post was from 2 years ago but cmon man he was almost at nw3.... you can tell by looking at where his line is relative to his ears