Cutting up a 5mg of Proscar...

worried@22

Reaction score
Last Thursday, I called and asked my doctor to change my Propecia prescript. to Proscar.; He said he didn't feel good about doing this because Proscar is meant to be taken once and you never know how much finasteride will be in each 1/4 slice. I wanted to be mad at him, but he gave me 12 free samples of Propecia (3 months) instead. Have you guys heard any differently? I know the FAQ on this site says cutting them up will be fine, but why did my Dr. say otherwise? Weird. Comments?

G

12 free samples is 3 months? How does that work? Do you only take it once per week?

I am interested in the answer to your question as well asim thinkin about buying proscar

worried@22

Reaction score
The Propecia samples come in a 7/pack. I think giving me all his Propecia samples would be more illegal than just writing the Proscar Prescript... ?

Go figure. I may just call his office when the 3 months is over and try to get another few months of samples. Beats paying for them!

But I would like an answer on the Proscar question from somebody who is knowledgeable.

Felk

Reaction score
worried@22 said:
Last Thursday, I called and asked my doctor to change my Propecia prescript. to Proscar.; He said he didn't feel good about doing this because Proscar is meant to be taken once and you never know how much finasteride will be in each 1/4 slice. I wanted to be mad at him, but he gave me 12 free samples of Propecia (3 months) instead. Have you guys heard any differently? I know the FAQ on this site says cutting them up will be fine, but why did my Dr. say otherwise? Weird. Comments?

I think he means no one knows how evenly the finasteride is distributed throughout the proscar pill in relation to just "filler", as the Proscar tablets are meant to be taken once a day, and therefore there is no need to be meticulous about even distribution.

Most people who cut up proscar know this, but figure after 4-5 days they are still getting the same dose, so it shouldnt really matter.

Though i'd like to know a bit more about it myself, actually.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is from Dr. Lee. A reply to a mail I sent him with a similar question

As you already know, Proscar and Propecia are the same medication, i.e.
finasteride. The only difference is that Proscar is a 5 mg tablet of finasteride
and Propecia is a 1 mg tablet of finasteride.

If you take quartered tablets of Proscar instead of Propecia, you will have the
same beneficial results for treating male pattern baldness at less than 1/3 the price.

The finasteride is homogeneously distributed throughout the tablet of Proscar.
Use a pill cutter or any sharp blade and cut the hard, brittle, blue covered
Proscar tablet into four pieces. You will undoubtedly also create some powder
and many smaller fragments. It really makes no difference if the pieces are of
unequal size. The range of effectiveness is very wide and has been shown to vary
as much as from 0.2 mg to 5 mg of finasteride. Furthermore, there is such a
tight bond created between the finasteride and the Type 2 5AR, that even if you
discontinue taking finasteride altogether, it will require two weeks for your
DHT level to return to your baseline levels. So, a variation in the daily dosage
is really inconsequential. There is probably no increase in the likelihood of
having side effects by taking 1.25mg of finasteride as opposed to taking 1.0mg
of finasteride.

So, take just one quarter of a tablet once / day. The time of day doesn't really
matter. Nor does it matter if you take it with or without food.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
socks_10.jpg

G

Dr Lee sounds like a smart man. Who is he? I will go with the Proscar. Does anyone know if I will keep more of my hair if I use more MG of the Finaesteride per day? Also I have been wondering if Finaesteride is judged to be effective if it simply prolongs your hair loss, or if for most people it just delays it for a few years. I am also wondering if finasteride is more effective the earlier in your hair loss stage that you start it. Thanks.

And oh my god am I reading the elite net pharmacy page right? 28 5 mg pills for 49 bucks? That means that it's 140 dosages for 49 bucks? That works out to $130 a year, compared to $500+ a year for Propecia? Is this too good to be true?

Also, why does propecia come in 28 day packs? Am I supposed to skip it for 3 days a month ? Was wondering- thanks guys.

G

Dr Lee sounds like a smart man. Who is he? I will go with the Proscar. Does anyone know if I will keep more of my hair if I use more MG of the Finaesteride per day? Also I have been wondering if Finaesteride is judged to be effective if it simply prolongs your hair loss, or if for most people it just delays it for a few years. I am also wondering if finasteride is more effective the earlier in your hair loss stage that you start it. Thanks.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Dr Lee sounds like a smart man. Who is he?

He's a doctor in the Los Angeles area who specializes in various topical minoxidil products for hair loss.

JayMan said:
Does anyone know if I will keep more of my hair if I use more MG of the Finaesteride per day?

The dose-response curve for finasteride is relatively flat, but not perfectly flat. A larger dose might work slightly better.

JayMan said:
Also I have been wondering if Finaesteride is judged to be effective if it simply prolongs your hair loss, or if for most people it just delays it for a few years. I am also wondering if finasteride is more effective the earlier in your hair loss stage that you start it. Thanks.

Oh, at the very least it slows down your hairloss. And yes, the earlier you start using it, the more effective it is!

Bryan

bubka

Reaction score
ONLY cut up one pill at a time, I keep mine is two bottles, one with the cut pill, the other with the uncut. Cutting all the pills and leaving them exposed for up to 4 to 5 months will likely reduce the effect of the finasteride as it is exposed to the air.

powersam

Reaction score
Bryan has suggested before that you could dissolve one pill in any alcohol and drink the mixture one fifth at a time. far easier to divide 200mls into five 40ml amounts than it would be to cut the pills i would think. i've been doing this with my propecia as i only take .5mg. been doing it for around 3 weeks now and there has been no change, things going just as they did when i cut them in half.