Cutting The Base Of A Hair System Down To Size Yourself?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Is it possible to cut the base without a plastic template, but an old custom hair system?

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to cut the base without a plastic template, but an old custom hair system?
truth be told i did that the first time i cut my own system during lock down, i did do 10000000 double checks on measurements etc, as i was so paranoid to f*ck it up , but it did work.. but you have to be 1000000pct confident its correct

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

This is a good question. I have actually been experimenting with different ways of making templates and resizing systems. See, I wanted to make a template exactly the same shape as my current stock system, so I could send it away for a custom but also to get a duplicate to keep. So I thought about it logically and concluded the easiest way to do it would be to take my current system off, lay it flat, upside down, then put cling flim (saran wrap) over it and trace the edges of my system with a permanent marker. Then after that, put the cling film on my head, line up the sides, front and back with my bald/shaved area, then criss cross the tape as normal for a template. Then take it off my head and cut round the edges with scissors. Voila - an exact template matched to my current system and contour of my head! This works great, and is easier than trying to trace round your balding area on your head (as you can't see the back properly for a start).

However, as to your question, I wouldn't personally try to cut the base of a new system by using your old system alone. For a start, surely the hair overlapping the sides of your old system would hinder the view (unless you cut it off of pin it up). Instead, do similar to me and make a template of your old system, which you can then use to cut your new system.

Or even simpler - lay your old system flat and upside down, put cling film/saran wrap over it and trace the shape (it might be a good idea to criss cross some tape over the cling film to make it stronger). Then lay your new system flat, upside down, put the cling film with the marking of your old system over your new system (making sure you line the front hairline up, and use some pins to keep the cling film in place), then simply cut your new system to this shape on the back and sides. You'll get an exact match to the shape of your old system without having to make a template on your head.

Last edited: