cutting proscar into 5ths?

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have no problem biting off 1/5, maybe one or twice I bit a little too much but it's not a problem, from what I read 1mg may even be more than is actually needed so if one day you only have .75 it's not going to make any real difference.

NYVic20

Established Member
Reaction score
Just updating... It's definitely better to keep it at 1/4 like most people do for a number of reasons. Firstly, when you cut any tablet, You will always lose some of the powder inside although not much. Secondly, it's difficult to cut the Proscar pill into 4 equal parts due its apple like shape (and can you imagine cutting into 5 equal parts?). You will always get 2 big pieces from the upper part and 2 small pieces from the lower part (I alternate the dosage between the two). So that extra milligram gives you some leeway in the lost powder and the difference in the pieces cut.

barcafan

Reaction score
NYVic20 said:
Just updating... It's definitely better to keep it at 1/4 like most people do for a number of reasons. Firstly, when you cut any tablet, You will always lose some of the powder inside although not much. Secondly, it's difficult to cut the Proscar pill into 4 equal parts due its apple like shape (and can you imagine cutting into 5 equal parts?). You will always get 2 big pieces from the upper part and 2 small pieces from the lower part (I alternate the dosage between the two). So that extra milligram gives you some leeway in the lost powder and the difference in the pieces cut.

All negligible.

NYVic20

Established Member
Reaction score
barcafan said:
NYVic20 said:

All negligible.

Lol , I use a pill cutter dude and anyone can tell you that you can't cut Proscar into 4 equally perfect pieces. I also forgot to mention that, once you cut Proscar, the finasteride in it becomes exposed to air and light which may cause some of it to degrade (which is why you need to store it in a dark container) so having that extra 1 mg really helps considering the factors above (4 unequal pieces, loss of some finasteride due to cutting and exposure to light and air). This is of course, if you want your daily dosage to be around the 1mg range like Propecia. If you're OK with taking .5 mg (and there is evidence that it may be almost as effective as 1mg) , then you can technically cut Proscar into 10 pieces if thats even physically possible.

barcafan

Reaction score
The exposure would have to be prolonged, not if you cut one pill and consume all peices within a few days.