Cutting a proscar pill safe?

glen_jai

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently just bought another 28 days worth of propecia and it is £52, which is astronomical for 28 tablets.
I am not sure about Finpecia as just don't have the confidence in their quality control, and also the risk of getting fakes.

So my question is, how safe is it to split a proscar pill? Does anyone know if the finasteride chemical is distributed evenly in the tablet so splitting it gives equal measure in each portion?

Or is it possible for say (in extreme cases) to have 5mg in one portion and 0mg in the others after it has been split?

Thanks for anyone who knows the answer to this. I would appreciate factual answers to this, rather than speculation... :)

Cheers,
Glen

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to say for certain, and is completely dependent on the manufacturer. Since the pill is not intended to be cut into quarters, there are probably no standards in place to ensure there is even distribution. However, it's pretty safe to say it's going to be more or less even. When pills are made, the active chemical is mixed with the fillers in a vat and must be completely consistent throughout. When pills are pressed, they must contain almost exact amounts of the active medication. It makes no sense that a completely homogeneous mixture would become inconsistent after being pressed into a pill.

I've been cutting proscar pills into quarters for 2 years and have enjoyed full benefits of the medication. Taking into account the very small active dose, the half-life and the fact that DHT stays lowered up to a week after the medication is gone from your system, I really wouldn't worry about this.

glen_jai

Reaction score
Thank you for the comments and account of your personal experience Wuffer.
I guess my next question is, where can I get it from?
I spoke to my GP today and he was apprehensive of prescribing me 5mg because it is not licensed for hair loss. So where I can get a prescription from?

Thanks again,
Glen