Custom hairpiece without a template?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I’ve ordered several stock units for a supplier and generally have been happy with them, despite one bad tangled mess that I kept and wore anyways.

This company advertises 4-6 week custom units so I messaged the girl I’ve talked with before on WhatsApp and she verified this. They are in China so I asked for the address where I would send my template to and she advised me they will not take templates because of customs charges. I let them know I can have them prepaid by me. They went silent on me.

My question is…. How custom is this if they don’t even have a template?! I know it allows me to pick out hair direction and parting and some of those other things, but my biggest reason for a custom piece is to have my hairline perfectly match my receeding temples, something a stock unit can’t give me with the basic CC or C hairlines.

Can anyone fill me in of how this can be done without a template on file? I am not so worried about it fitting perfectly the curvatures of my head as opposed to other things.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
A couple of red flags here.

1. Nobody is doing custom units in 4-6 weeks in China.

2. We send templates to China ALL THE TIME, and there are rarely any issues with them (use DHL or UPS).

3. You can have a premade system cut to your desired hairline shape.

4. They won't match any unique curve of your scalp, you will get a generic shape that will be cut to the dimensions (length and width) in a very standard oval shape.

I`m not sure who this supplier is, but it sounds very dubious to me.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A couple of red flags here.

1. Nobody is doing custom units in 4-6 weeks in China.

2. We send templates to China ALL THE TIME, and there are rarely any issues with them (use DHL or UPS).

3. You can have a premade system cut to your desired hairline shape.

4. They won't match any unique curve of your scalp, you will get a generic shape that will be cut to the dimensions (length and width) in a very standard oval shape.

I`m not sure who this supplier is, but it sounds very dubious to me.
Thanks BB for the reply.

How on a stock system can I have my hairline cut to my desired shape? I always thought that you did not want to cut the hairline of a stock unit??

There’s also a rush option that they said would make it in 4 weeks.

I received a message this morning that now I can send them my template.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks BB for the reply.

How on a stock system can I have my hairline cut to my desired shape? I always thought that you did not want to cut the hairline of a stock unit??

There’s also a rush option that they said would make it in 4 weeks.

I received a message this morning that now I can send them my template.
You have anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 inches of graduated hairline to play with (if it's at all graduated). You need to ask them.

Oh, and the knots are the hairline are usually bleached, and single knots... as the rest is usually not bleached and double-knotted.

Last edited:

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah i carve into the hairline on every stock. You can always pluck hairs to soften the hairline and a some pieces aren't graduated properly anyhow these days.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
4-6 weeks for a custom piece is no custom I would have confidence in.

There shouldn't be a custom charge on a template

I've given measurements with illustrations previously when stationed abroad and received a custom piece, which I cut a little.
I think some custom pieces need a bit of tweaking at fitting anyway.