Currently Taking 1mg finasteride Daily - Potential Sides?

vurog

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been losing my hair since 2015.. I didn't really do anything about it up until very recently. I started finasteride around 3 weeks ago, 2 days ago I started noticing a lower sex drive, slightly weaker errections, lack of morning wood (though I didn't get morning wood often when I was off finasteride either)I still manage to bust a nut daily sometimes even more than once.. and I'm very well aware that all this could be in my head, what would be the best course of action?

Should I lower my dose or hop off finasteride for a week or two and monitor my body?

mecevik

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started a week ago. I have not noticed any sides but at first I did not get morning wood. This made me worried but I thought this could be placebo. You don’t think about it but your mind thinks inwardly. The day after, Morning woods worked again.
By the way, Did you see any positive effect?

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I suggest you keep taking finasteride. My sex drive dropped in the first 3 days, then bounced high up for 2 months then was mostly non-existent for 1 month until I changed my dose to 1.25 mg EOD.

What I'm trying to say is that it fluctuates, and you should keep taking the drug. Perhaps the sides will disappear/be reduced.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps the sides will disappear/be reduced.

Or perhaps they won't and they will get even worse and irreversible, how about that possibility, what are you gonna do if that happens, are you gonna tell him though luck or that it's all in his head?

Rather say that you don't know because that's the actual truth or better say nothing than just encouraging him to do something that you won't know how it will end, don't you find it more fair and truthful this way?

vurog

Reaction score
I started a week ago. I have not noticed any sides but at first I did not get morning wood. This made me worried but I thought this could be placebo. You don’t think about it but your mind thinks inwardly. The day after, Morning woods worked again.
By the way, Did you see any positive effect?

I do think its mostly placebo, I'm managing to bust a nut daily, often twice a day. I haven't felt any ball aches or chest paints. As far as positive effects, its really early to say.

vurog

Reaction score
I suggest you keep taking finasteride. My sex drive dropped in the first 3 days, then bounced high up for 2 months then was mostly non-existent for 1 month until I changed my dose to 1.25 mg EOD.

What I'm trying to say is that it fluctuates, and you should keep taking the drug. Perhaps the sides will disappear/be reduced.

How long have you been on finasteride?

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Or perhaps they won't and they will get even worse and irreversible, how about that possibility, what are you gonna do if that happens, are you gonna tell him though luck or that it's all in his head?

Rather say that you don't know because that's the actual truth or better say nothing than just encouraging him to do something that you won't know how it will end, don't you find it more fair and truthful this way?
Notice how I said perhaps? I agree sides may worsen or become permanent, however I am giving advice based on my experience with the drug and the sides are definitely reduced for me.
Granted, not everyone will have my experience, which makes me agree to your last point. I should have mentioned this possibility (worsening/permanent sides) in my reply.
How long have you been on finasteride?
Exactly 4 months. (Started 22 feb 2020)

vurog

Reaction score
Notice how I said perhaps? I agree sides may worsen or become permanent, however I am giving advice based on my experience with the drug and the sides are definitely reduced for me.
Granted, not everyone will have my experience, which makes me agree to your last point. I should have mentioned this possibility (worsening/permanent sides) in my reply.

Exactly 4 months. (Started 22 feb 2020)

Nice, how are the results?

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Should have gotten your bloods done prior to starting. IMO a significant % of sides in most individuals is our homeostasis getting thrown out of sync. If you get even a moderately disproportionate increase in E compared to T you'll get sides - lower libido, ED etc..

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been losing my hair since 2015.. I didn't really do anything about it up until very recently. I started finasteride around 3 weeks ago, 2 days ago I started noticing a lower sex drive, slightly weaker errections, lack of morning wood (though I didn't get morning wood often when I was off finasteride either)I still manage to bust a nut daily sometimes even more than once.. and I'm very well aware that all this could be in my head, what would be the best course of action?

Should I lower my dose or hop off finasteride for a week or two and monitor my body?
It's definitely a decision you'll have to own! The "all in your head" is such a creepy argument though. Not a user myself but of what I've read over the time, getting your blood work it's a very unreliable marker due to the fact that various hormones fluctuate wildly during the day so you'd need an ongoing testing to see any true and relevant changes. If your hair is crucial to your mental comfort, maybe try half the dosage or less and see how that goes. If sides persist it would probably be wise to at least take a break if not completely staying off.